IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Window Tint Question / (Problem?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-09, 12:24 PM
Duke02
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Tint Question / (Problem?)

I had all the windows tinted recently with Suntek Carbon. I got 35% on the back and sides, 70% on the windshield and 35% tint band on top of that.

I've noticed a few things I don't like, but since this is my first tint job, I was wondering how much of it goes with the territory of window tint and what should be fixed

After I got it done, I left the windows rolled up to let it dry like I had heard you were supposed to, but now on each of the side windows, the tint is rippled where it sat against the window seal. Normal or should be fixed?

The tint doesn't go entirely to the edge of the glass at the top, but I'm assuming that's normal.

Also in the assumed to be normal catagory - headlights from the rear have a weird effect where they reflect off all the defroster lines at the same time and the front tint creates a starburst effect around headlights. And then there's the rainbow effect when wearing polarized sunglasses

Thanks for any thoughts
Old 06-08-09, 12:42 PM
rac2max
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my car tinted w/ Suntek carbon too. It's just been 4 days, I'll update you on more details after a week or so.
But there already problems around the tweeter area on the front two windows. Will get it fixed this coming Wed. tho.
Old 06-08-09, 07:20 PM
Duke02
Driver

thanks for the response. Out of curiosity, what are the problems with the tweeters? I was wondering if the application method of wetting the windows liberally could overspray onto the tweeters and damage them. I imagine lexus built a fair amount of margin for error given that people probably get them with windex on a regular basis.
Old 06-08-09, 07:28 PM
jackblack7
Pole Position

I don't have Suntek tint, but I get the same rainbow effect with polarized sunglasses. So I don't wear them anymore. Having that on the front windshield would drive me absolutely crazy.
Old 06-08-09, 07:45 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

i have the same issue on my car and i have suntek as well. however, i believe it's caused by a bad tint job and not by the tint. the starburst effect you get is from have an air space between the defroster lines and the tint itself.

i'm not sure if others who have tinted their rear windshield gets this as well.... i've been meaning to ask for a while.
Old 06-08-09, 09:26 PM
VF84
Pole Position

it sounds like the door panel was not removed during the installation? if so, the edge of the tint may be rubbing against the felt liner/window seal and causing it to wrinkle/peel

have it looked at by the installer.. they usually have some sort of warranty..
Old 06-09-09, 07:17 AM
rac2max
Driver

our car has two small tweeters at front end of the front windows, and yes if door panel is not removed during installation....chances are tint film is not flushed. That's the problem I have....hopefully they can fix it
Old 06-10-09, 02:08 PM
vuiskool
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

depending on who does your tint and where. My IS tints done here goes all the way to the edges. u cannot see any clear glass with the windows rolled up.
Old 06-10-09, 02:18 PM
ArM4ND
Driver School Candidate

When I first got my IS a couple of weeks ago I spoke with a friend who went to school for tint and clear bra. He tells me that the IS is a hard car to tint and that it takes a little extra work to do right. But it can definitely be done. You may have gotten a bad tint job done, in which case I would definitely go back to where you got it and have the rectify the situation.

As for the halo effect in the rearview mirror this could be coming from residual water between the tint and the glass. Some people don't realize that the water can take a few weeks to completely dry out. Give that some time. But go back to where it was done and have the side windows looked at.
Old 06-11-09, 09:12 AM
Duke02
Driver

Thanks for all the responses. I'll bring it back, see what they say and report back. As an FYI, I wouldn't get the windshield tinted again, it drives me a bit nuts. I may have them remove it when I bring it in. The tint band definitely was disappointing as it looks very aftermarket.
Old 07-16-09, 06:45 AM
Duke02
Driver

So Life got in the way of my Obesession and I hadn't had a chance to do much since I asked for help. Thanks for all of your thoughts.

I called the shop and explained what was hapenning. It made me feel a little better that he knew what was going on with my side windows.

To clarify (I'm not sure I was clear before), here's what the problem is with the side windows - About 1/4 inch down from the top of the window, along the length of the window, the tint is rippled or pinched. You can't see it when the window is up but you can see it when the window is partially down and you look through it. I can't feel it when I run my hand across it.

His response didn't make me feel too great. His response was (quoting to the best of my ability) "That's a design flaw with lexus. They overengineer their cars to be quiet from wind noise so the trim at the top pinches the tint". I reject the notion that's a design flaw but I guess I could see how tight tolerances could cause issues with tint.

I told him I was also concerned about longevity and his response was that in 5 or 6 years the tint could start to bubble but to bring it back and he'd fix it since it has a lifetime warranty, but these days, I'm not to sure who'll be around in 5 years (even the manufacturer).

I guess my question is, for those who have tint on their 2IS, do you have a similar ripple near the top, meaning this is normal although not ideal, or am I just dealing with a knucklehead that doesn't want to fix sloppy work?

If the latter, do I need to have him redo it and leave the windows rolled down so that the tint doesn't pinch at the top while drying?

Thanks again for the help
Old 07-16-09, 11:03 AM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I Would be willing to bet I had my 06 Tinted just as long/longer than anyone. Had it done November of 05..up until last week when the car went back. NEVER had so much as one tint, bubble, peeling...not anywhere. Color never faded (3M). Of course this is hard to judge, but I have seen enough of that faded purple colored tint in my life to know mine looked pretty good. I paid extra for the 3M tint, and the shop...but I will say it again, you get what you pay for.

Sucks hearing what youre going through, not much you can do...maybe you can get your money back. At the least I would have him retint them, then make sure the windows stay rolled up for a solid week + in the sun.
Old 07-16-09, 12:33 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I looked at the top of my front windows on my IS350. The 35% 3M film has no ripples at the top.

btw, maybe the shop may or may not be around in 5 year, and maybe and most likely most ISx50 owners will have a different car in 5 years too.
Old 07-16-09, 02:20 PM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

My tint is as close as it can be. When I tinted the window, I left about 1/8 of an inch to the top and no peeling, wrinkling, bubbling, or anything. Everytime I tint windows, I make sure the top of the film is dry before rolling up which might be the cause in your situation.
Old 07-16-09, 06:45 PM
hmsis250
Pole Position

I have suntek and its flawless. It sounds like a bad install job.

Quick Reply: Window Tint Question / (Problem?)