IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Windshield cracked - Insurance refuses to put in OEM glass.... help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-09, 12:21 AM
Ikon_Vin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im having the same problem except i have windshield protection plan when i bought my car and when i finally called in to have my windshield replaced they wanted to put in the same windshield they are giving u. in order for me to get a lexus windshield i would have to pay an additional 700 dollars.
Old 02-25-09, 01:28 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Um, yes they are allowed to do that. It all depends on the OP's insurance contract. Most insurers have a clause in the insurance policy that allows them to use non-OEM replacement parts. Ask your insurance company to send you a policy of your contract. If it has that clause, you're screwed. You can fight it if you want, but they still have the policy on their side.

Javier
10000 percent right. at least you are getting a new part. most repairs, they will attempt to use recycled parts first before getting new stuff.
Old 02-25-09, 05:31 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chrIS250
um, no. they aren't allowed to do that. fight the **** out of that. don't settle for anything less than OEM...especially something like that.

i had to get my windshield replaced a couple months back due to a crack, and they tried to get me to put that safelight too....i said "DO NOT put anything other than a LEXUS windshield in my car, otherwise, i will not take my car back." they called my insurance (AAA) and they settled for it w/o any problems.

Good luck to you.
What does the insurance policy say? If it says they can use after market, then that's what you contracted for. If it doesn't specify, then I'd say you just need to keep pushing, or, in the end, agree to pay the difference in price (not from dollar 1).
Old 02-25-09, 08:41 AM
shui3000
Pole Position

Are the sensors going to be affected by having an aftermarket windshield?
Old 02-25-09, 09:40 AM
Jefe's IS
Pole Position

You should check w/ your local ins. regulators. I know that by law, at least in colorado, you can have what ever repair shop you choose to fix damage to your car covered by your insurance co.
Basically if you file a claim w/ you ins. co. and they want you to go to shop ABC for the fix you can decline and take it to shop XYZ and they must honor your request even if shop XYZ charges twice as much as shop ABC.

I think you need to use the argument that the other windshield is NOT similar to the Lexus windshield therefor does not qualify as an acceptable substitute. Your challenge is to find info backing your argument.

Also, just because you signed a contract stating they could use an equivilent windshield your local laws may overide this language of the contract.

You can always hire a lawyer to guide you through your contract and advise you on your options. This may only cost around $100 and may be worth it. Especially if you need to replace the windshield again.
Old 02-25-09, 09:42 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jefe's IS
You should check w/ your local ins. regulators. I know that by law, at least in colorado, you can have what ever repair shop you choose to fix damage to your car covered by your insurance co.
Basically if you file a claim w/ you ins. co. and they want you to go to shop ABC for the fix you can decline and take it to shop XYZ and they must honor your request even if shop XYZ charges twice as much as shop ABC.

I think you need to use the argument that the other windshield is NOT similar to the Lexus windshield therefor does not qualify as an acceptable substitute. Your challenge is to find info backing your argument.
Here is the problem... they say they can replace it with OEM equivalent - same features and specs as OEM - and they say it can be replaced for under $400 ... and my deductible is $500 --> resulting in no claim.... If only my deductible was like $200 ... then I could do that
Old 02-25-09, 09:45 AM
bygtimaish
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chrIS250
um, no. they aren't allowed to do that. fight the **** out of that. don't settle for anything less than OEM...especially something like that.

i had to get my windshield replaced a couple months back due to a crack, and they tried to get me to put that safelight too....i said "DO NOT put anything other than a LEXUS windshield in my car, otherwise, i will not take my car back." they called my insurance (AAA) and they settled for it w/o any problems.

Good luck to you.
it doesnt always work like that my friend.
Old 02-25-09, 10:25 AM
truciet
Pit Crew

with insurance, you get what you pay for...

AAA is an okay company...they have gone down in service lately...AAA will always be known for roadside services but everything else is just poor service. Your rates will be lower but not by much compared to state farm, farmers, allstate, etc

comp claims will not cause your rates to increase, but if you have more than 4-5 within 2 years it could cause your rates to increase the following renewal...

my last suggestion, i would recommend have Lexus find a statement or description of the windshield stating why its needed, maybe more sensors? if you win, your 1400 - 500 deductible would be worth the claim...

o well...good luck
Old 02-25-09, 10:35 AM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Yeah you should call up Lexus and ask them about the whole issue with the sensors. If Lexus tells your insurance that you need OEM then they have to comply with them. Its better if you have Lexus on your side cause they can help you win your case. Or speak to the salersperson whom you bought the car with.

Hey quick question guys, I was heading back from vegas and there was a major Sandstorm and it totally chipped my windshield. Can I claim this with the insurance? I also have AAA!!! damn its really annoying seeing all the chips on the windshield.. lolz
Old 02-25-09, 11:10 AM
Feirax
Driver

Does the Safelite windshield meet the same UV filtering spec as OEM? I remember some of my older cars not having the UV spec printed on the glass. If it doesn't, you would have an argument to not use the safelite as a replacement.
Old 02-25-09, 11:12 AM
Silver'04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jefe's IS

Very well said and 100% true. If not, you could also try and check if there's a shop locally that specializes in Lexus repairs. They may have the info you're looking for in regards to the windshield being of similar quality.

Originally Posted by Phil888
Yeah you should call up Lexus and ask them about the whole issue with the sensors. If Lexus tells your insurance that you need OEM then they have to comply with them. Its better if you have Lexus on your side cause they can help you win your case. Or speak to the salersperson whom you bought the car with.

Hey quick question guys, I was heading back from vegas and there was a major Sandstorm and it totally chipped my windshield. Can I claim this with the insurance? I also have AAA!!! damn its really annoying seeing all the chips on the windshield.. lolz
You can claim it as a comp loss which shouldn't affect your premiums.
Old 02-25-09, 11:12 AM
Feirax
Driver

Another you might be able to try, is checking with a Lexus Certified Collision center. They claim to use all OEM parts, and will work with your ins. co.
Old 02-25-09, 11:17 AM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same thing happened to me in Palm Springs area. A bad sandstorm and no place to hide. AAA repaired my car; glass, chrome and paint. I just paid the deductible. Good luck.
Old 02-25-09, 11:30 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

If you NEEDED to have an OEM windshield, this wouldn't be an issue. The insurance co would know it.
Old 02-25-09, 11:32 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Silver'04
Very well said and 100% true. If not, you could also try and check if there's a shop locally that specializes in Lexus repairs. They may have the info you're looking for in regards to the windshield being of similar quality.
It doesn't sound to me like the issue is WHO does the repair--it's what parts are used. Shop X, Shop Y, Shop Z--AAA won't approve any of them using an OEM windshield.

Quick Reply: Windshield cracked - Insurance refuses to put in OEM glass.... help!