IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cleaning F-Sport air filter element?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-09, 09:47 AM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Thanks! The filter fits perfectly. I'm just surprised that Lexus themselves don't have much information on their F-Sport line...
Old 04-02-09, 02:42 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

http://www.f-sport.com
Old 04-02-09, 03:28 PM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All that site does is list basic information of their products... I don't think there's a phone number to call for support either. If you call Lexus they will refer you to your local dealership for more technical information and the dealerships don't know much about this cleaning kit.
Old 04-02-09, 04:09 PM
Feirax
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least in CA they have some dealers that know about F-Sport. I called my local dealers to ask about F-Sport and they tell me they don't sell aftermarket parts. After I explain the parts are made by Lexus, and there is a display in the show-room, they usually tell me they'll have someone call me back.
Old 04-02-09, 06:39 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

no oil!!??!! the F-Sport Filter doesn't sound like all its cut out to be.

K&N FTW...
Old 04-02-09, 07:01 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sinister2c
no oil!!??!! the F-Sport Filter doesn't sound like all its cut out to be.

K&N FTW...
YM
K&N for needing to take everything apart and clean your MAF all the time because it keeps messing it up with useless oil
HTH!
Old 03-12-10, 06:23 PM
dong888
Pole Position

Default Cleaning the f-sport filter

Can I just clean it with water and let dry?

For people who had purchased the cleaning kit, can you post if you see a difference between cleaning with water and clearning with the kit?

thanks!!
Old 03-13-10, 11:16 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

^ I'd like to know this as well.
Old 11-04-10, 12:43 AM
UmattWayO
Driver

so whats the final answer,
can we clean it with just water or do we need the kit from lexus?
So the f-sport filter is not oiled?
how come when i installed it, there was oil on the filter?
Old 11-04-10, 01:56 AM
flexthatdx
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the f-sport filter is a dry filter. The cleaning kit that sewell sells come with two bottles of cleaning solution. The instruction says to tap the filter to get the loose dirt and debris off, spray the cleaning solution on the filter, let it sit and rinse the filter off with running water. Allow the filter to completely air dry and re-install back into the car. Its the same like the K&N filter cleaning kit but without the oil.
Old 11-04-10, 09:28 AM
YoungMoney
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok guys, I just bought this stuff from Sewell and cleaned my filter when I was changing out my exhaust.

Oddly... when you order the cleaning solution from the site, you get two bottles. At first I assumed it was a 2-stage thing, but both bottles are identical "cleaners". I then thought they accidentally mailed me two, but apparently 1 order consists of two bottle of the same cleaner.

My filter was not very dirty at all, but I cleaned it anyway since I had the stuff and my car was undrivable at the time.

Now I'm not sure if it was due to my filter not being too dirty, but I didn't notice the cleaner doing too much. I wouldn't do it without it (it's $25 for enough to clean 5+ times), but at least in my case I'd assume water would have been just as good.

Here's the weird thing... and I searched the forums for anyone with a similar story... but it took FOREVER for the filter to dry. I've cleaned plenty of K&N's in my day, they dry overnight or so. I washed my F-sport, shook it out, let paper towels soak up the big water pools... but it took literally 36 hours to dry.

This thing sat on my desk at about 2pm after cleaning. When I got up at 8am (almost 20 hours later) the next day it was literally soaked still... soaked, pooling water under it. If you touched a paper towel to it the towel would immediately saturate with water.

I'm not sure why, but it took foooorever to dry. I actually thought someone might be messing with me and soaked the thing in the night. I had to leave the filter outside in the sun for another 8 hours or longer before it was even close to dry. Then even after damn near 36 hours I was still a bit sketched out to put it in the car.

All ended well, but has anyone had this happen before? Just seemed unreasonably hard to get this element dry.

My two cents
Old 11-04-10, 10:37 AM
file82
Driver

I do the same thing, clean it every 15000 miles, spray the cleaning kit to the filter and rinse with water. Those 2 bottles are enough for cleaning the filter for at least 10 times.

Dry air filter always need longer time to dry, I let the filter sit for 3 days before putting it back into the car.
Old 11-04-10, 11:36 AM
UmattWayO
Driver

so 3 days without a car eh..
Old 11-04-10, 03:55 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Confirmed - this is exactly what I went through.

FSport air filter wasn't dirty at all, maybe a few small debris bits.

Got 2 bottles of the FSport cleaners, and the air filter took 5 days to dry. Yes, 5 days. During the drying period, I just used a normal (stock) air filter.

Originally Posted by YoungMoney
Ok guys, I just bought this stuff from Sewell and cleaned my filter when I was changing out my exhaust.

Oddly... when you order the cleaning solution from the site, you get two bottles. At first I assumed it was a 2-stage thing, but both bottles are identical "cleaners". I then thought they accidentally mailed me two, but apparently 1 order consists of two bottle of the same cleaner.

My filter was not very dirty at all, but I cleaned it anyway since I had the stuff and my car was undrivable at the time.

Now I'm not sure if it was due to my filter not being too dirty, but I didn't notice the cleaner doing too much. I wouldn't do it without it (it's $25 for enough to clean 5+ times), but at least in my case I'd assume water would have been just as good.

Here's the weird thing... and I searched the forums for anyone with a similar story... but it took FOREVER for the filter to dry. I've cleaned plenty of K&N's in my day, they dry overnight or so. I washed my F-sport, shook it out, let paper towels soak up the big water pools... but it took literally 36 hours to dry.

This thing sat on my desk at about 2pm after cleaning. When I got up at 8am (almost 20 hours later) the next day it was literally soaked still... soaked, pooling water under it. If you touched a paper towel to it the towel would immediately saturate with water.

I'm not sure why, but it took foooorever to dry. I actually thought someone might be messing with me and soaked the thing in the night. I had to leave the filter outside in the sun for another 8 hours or longer before it was even close to dry. Then even after damn near 36 hours I was still a bit sketched out to put it in the car.

All ended well, but has anyone had this happen before? Just seemed unreasonably hard to get this element dry.

My two cents
Old 11-04-10, 04:13 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

not sure why it's taking your filters so long to dry. i just shake all the water out using centrifugal force in a swinging arm motion. that does a pretty good job at getting the water out. i do this at night and by the morning it's good to go.

Quick Reply: Cleaning F-Sport air filter element?