IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Non-NAV guys, iPhone is a decent hands-free option

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-08, 03:53 PM
njmurvin
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Non-NAV guys, iPhone is a decent hands-free option

For fellow non-NAV owners who own (or are planning to get) an iPhone, it's pretty simple to use it as a hands-free phone that goes through your car stereo sound system.

Just get the audio cable that connects the iPhone (headset plug) to the IS AUX input. I have the rubber jacket on my iPhone so it doesn't slip around on the center console. I lay it down on top of the cup-holder door with the cable peeking out the front of the center console storage box.

If you're listening to the iPhone when the phone rings, it will automatically mute and allow you to answer the call. The audio of the call will go through the stereo and the mic on the phone will pick up your voice.

If you're listening to the radio when the phone rings, you answer it at the phone and quickly flip to AUX on the audio controls (dash or steering wheel control) to pump the sound through your sound system.

For making calls, switch to AUX, then originate the call from the phone.

The sound quality of the call (both ends) is remarkable. I had been using a bluetooth headset (Jabra) and people tell me my voice is clearer with the iPhone used like this.

Best of all, as long as you already own the cable, IT'S FREE!!!!
Old 09-19-08, 04:17 PM
Mr.JPG
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got myself the Griffin Autopilot , the interference is killing me. wondering is that a defect item or the car's aux problem. Everything sounds fine if i'm not charging the phone at the same time.
Old 09-19-08, 04:32 PM
sw1ft
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mr.JPG
I just got myself the Griffin Autopilot , the interference is killing me. wondering is that a defect item or the car's aux problem. Everything sounds fine if i'm not charging the phone at the same time.
If you hear it when you charge and play at the same time then it's the car's problem. There's a TSIB for it. See more here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=300319
Old 09-19-08, 04:37 PM
ice40i
Driver School Candidate

i just got a kensington cradle that works wonders ill see if i can post pics up later on
Old 09-19-08, 04:43 PM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you mean using the 3.5 jet? coz I am using the AV cable connect on the bottom of my iphone. When the call come it automatic mute but the call itself do not come out from the stereo! I prefer the sound quality from the bottom rather than 3.5 jet!!
Old 09-19-08, 04:51 PM
Mr.JPG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sw1ft
If you hear it when you charge and play at the same time then it's the car's problem. There's a TSIB for it. See more here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=300319
Thank you for the tips
Old 09-19-08, 05:19 PM
njmurvin
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ISbb
you mean using the 3.5 jet? coz I am using the AV cable connect on the bottom of my iphone. When the call come it automatic mute but the call itself do not come out from the stereo! I prefer the sound quality from the bottom rather than 3.5 jet!!
Not sure what "3.5 jet" is. If you mean the headphone jack (which is 3.5mm, I believe), then yes. I would have thought that the audio out from the bottom of the iPhone would do the same thing. But, I haven't tried it that way.

With regard to interference during charging, I haven't tried charging while using the phone yet. My phone is pretty well charged all the time and my commute is only about 20min. But, as the other poster pointed out, there is a TSIB for this problem.
Old 09-19-08, 07:23 PM
ice40i
Driver School Candidate

Heres my setup, a little ghetto?

Its just the right distance away so i dont have to take my hand off the shift **** to do anything on it. Just extend the fingers.
Old 09-19-08, 08:39 PM
aznboi27
Pole Position

I just got me an 3G Iphone also. That's good to know about the hands free, I gotta try that out. Thanks for the tip yo