IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Sunroof wind turbulence problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-08, 01:12 PM
vif350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof wind turbulence problem

My '06 IS350 has developed a new problem with significant wind turbulence when the sunroof is open and would love feedback from anyone with similar problems.

First the back story:

I've had nothing but problems with my sunroof since I purchased the car new in June of '06. It has been in the shop 12 times for warranty repairs, 8 of which where on the sunroof. They've had to replace it twice, the first time because the roof was so loose you could easily move it with your hand (and of course it rattled non stop) and the second time because they didn't install the first replacement properly.

So, I picked the car up from the dealer the other day after they installed some new sunroof parts, and now I have a new problem. When the roof is open, at speeds of around 65 miles an hour, the cabin develops significant wind turbulence. This happens regardless of whether the windows are cracked or not and is strangely intermittent. The wind turbulence is so bad the whole car shakes, the mirror (which normally vibrates when the roof is open) vibrates such that the view is just a blur, the steering wheel vibrates, and the turbulence makes a loud noise in the cabin. This is nothing like the turbulence you normally get when the roof is open past the suggested mark and the windows aren't down. This is almost dangerous. Once the car develops the turbulence, it doesn't go away when I slow down 10 or 20 MPH, but does goes away as soon I shut the roof.

I'm wondering if anyone has had similar problem? I have a call in to the service department, but haven't heard back yet, and to be honest am a little reluctant to bring it in again and have the roof, headliner, etc removed while they try fix the problem, and am worried that the repeat repairs may be actually contributing to the problem.

Any thoughts on what's going on or how I should proceed?

Jim
Old 08-19-08, 01:22 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

try another dealer?
Old 08-19-08, 01:35 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

is the sunroof opening all the way? see if the sun shade will push back further or not. Sounds like it might be possible the headliner was put back in place all the way. See if there is a "soft" when you push on the headliner. If there is a lot of give in a certain area that might be the culprit.
Old 08-19-08, 02:06 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume your talking about wind "buffeting?" The sound that pretty much pounds at your ear drum? If that's the case, it's normal and it's pure physics. All cars do it if the sunroof/window openings are just right. The only way to get rid of it is to further roll up/down the windows/sunroof until it goes away. Also, you can try a sunroof deflector.
Old 08-19-08, 03:20 PM
vif350
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I'm referring to wind "buffeting", which the car has always done when the roof is open as far as it goes and I don't crack the back windows.

However, this level of "buffeting" is new and is quite violent compared with previous buffeting experiences. I would say it's an order of magnitude greater than it was before I picked it up from the dealer last.
Old 08-19-08, 03:39 PM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

or just dont open the sunroof? i usually just keep it tilted whenever i drive.
Old 08-19-08, 04:14 PM
vif350
Driver School Candidate

not opening the sunroof is too much of a compromise for me on a car that's only 2 years old...
Old 08-19-08, 08:57 PM
Likecars
Rookie

Originally Posted by vif350
not opening the sunroof is too much of a compromise for me on a car that's only 2 years old...
How is it when it's closed? I do not get the buffeting you mention, but have a lot of noise from the back edge when it is closed.
Old 08-19-08, 09:12 PM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

try another dealer.... that or raise hell and see if they give you a new car.
Old 08-19-08, 10:43 PM
Shoganai
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

crack a window or see another dealer to have it fixed right the 1st time
Old 08-20-08, 09:41 AM
vif350
Driver School Candidate

It doesn't buffet or make noise when closed. I checked the headliner and it is pretty loose directly behind the sunroof, so that may be the problem.

Because problems with the roof have been systemic since I purchased the car, I checked in with our Attorney General's office, and they suggested I send a letter to Lexus Corporate asking them to address the issues and/or replace the car since these issues impact the value of the car, which I have done. Hopefully Lexus Corporate's involvement will be favorable...

I also have an appt next week to have the dealer look at it again. I'm already on my second dealer, and the next closest dealer is about 20 miles away, so I'm not to crazy about trying a third dealer.
Old 08-20-08, 12:53 PM
shake&bake
Rookie

Originally Posted by vif350
My '06 IS350 has developed a new problem with significant wind turbulence when the sunroof is open and would love feedback from anyone with similar problems.

When the roof is open, at speeds of around 65 miles an hour, the cabin develops significant wind turbulence. This happens regardless of whether the windows are cracked or not and is strangely intermittent. The wind turbulence is so bad the whole car shakes, the mirror (which normally vibrates when the roof is open) vibrates such that the view is just a blur, the steering wheel vibrates, and the turbulence makes a loud noise in the cabin. This is nothing like the turbulence you normally get when the roof is open past the suggested mark and the windows aren't down. This is almost dangerous. Once the car develops the turbulence, it doesn't go away when I slow down 10 or 20 MPH, but does goes away as soon I shut the roof.

Any thoughts on what's going on or how I should proceed?

Jim
I have the same problem with my new 08. I didnt think that was normal...especially when the rear view mirror shakes and sounds like i have 2 12" speakers in the trunk. My wife and i just looked at each other when it happenend the first time. All i know is my 95 accord doesnt have this issue at any speed