Acura TSX 2008 or Lexus IS250 2008

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-08, 09:04 PM
tsx_lex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acura TSX 2008 or Lexus IS250 2008

Hi everyone
I'm looking to buy a new car and seriously considering both the TSX 2008 and IS250 2008 as well. I don't like the TSX 2009 design and also getting a good deal on the 2008 model. I have test driven both these cars and like both of them a lot. TSX has more interior space and excellent visibility.. steering is tight and precise. IS is also very similar, though it has more torque but I feel the engine response is more or less almost the same since TSX is around 120 pounds lighter than the IS and V6 makes up for the extra weight in the IS. On the highway I thought the TSX was more fun and faster than the IS250, the vtech opens up amazingly at high revs. I love the interior of Lexus, top notch but a little small. Pricing wise, I'm getting a TSX quote of $28,600 + tax/license from Acura and $34,200 + tax/license from Lexus. The price difference is $5K+ almost. I don't really care that much about paying the extra amount but I really like both these cars. I have a friend who owns the TSX and have had zero issues with it, no rattles or anything of that kind. I wanted your opinion on this, I'm really confused. What are the pros/cons of each etc. Please try your best not to give me Lexus-biased replies. Both the cars have similar specs, except the I4 vs. V6, but you pay the extra $5-6K. I'm looking to drive mainly within the city area.

Thank you very much.

Last edited by tsx_lex; 06-27-08 at 09:09 PM.
Old 06-27-08, 09:36 PM
ryanpw3
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I bought a new black / black TSX in 2006, loved the car and kept it a year to the day. I got a great deal on a new 2007 C230 and traded in the TSX. Long story short, the Benz was the worst car I ever owned and I traded it on a new 2008 black / black is 250. 2500 miles in on the Lexus and no problems to report.

As for which one I favor between the two, the TSX is a good balance of fun, price, and practicality. The GPS / technology package on it has a lot of great toys for a car in that price range. Something you will pay significantly more for on the Lexus. Personally I think the TSX may have had a little more pep on the highway, but the X package lexus I bought makes up for it with exceptional handling.

Plus....in the end, I get infinitely more looks from others checking out the Lexus than the Benz and TSX ever did combined! Not that what others think is more important, but it is reassuring that others also seem to feel I made a good buy with respect to the IS 250.

Good thing is that I think it's an easy decision....both are wise purchases if you ask me! Hope this helps.
Old 06-27-08, 09:54 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You should consider this thread:

Mike's IS250 and TSX Comparison

Mmarshall is one of the most comprehensive car reviewers without badge bias. Trust this dedicated CL member.

You should also take a look at this:

IS250 vs TSX
Old 06-27-08, 10:13 PM
roushracin
Driver School Candidate

I own a 2005 TSX and bought it new with 1.9 miles on it and I absolutely love it! I have not had one single problem with it. I have over 38,000 miles on it and the original tires still have a ton of tread left on it. Just today, my wife and I went to the Lexus dealer to test drive the IS 250 AWD and the ES 350. The ES 350 didn't do anything for me because I'm 30 years old and I felt like I was in my 40's driving the ES. The IS, well, let's just say my wife didn't like it because of how small it felt. The power was very similar to the TSX. I've always wanted an IS since they redesigned them in '06 but after today, I am more than happy to keep my TSX. Besides, I can go 475 miles on one tank before I fill up!
Old 06-27-08, 10:18 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

hey now, im in my 40's now and you should SEE my car, put alot of the young'ns here to shame AND... maybe due to my age, i do see nothing WRONG with the ES
Old 06-28-08, 02:42 AM
tsx_lex
Rookie

Thank you everyone for your replies. I agree that the TSX is more spacious. Also it has an under-stated exterior design, which I think will not date out and will remain classic over the years to come. Just like the Audi RS4 (which also has an understated design), which killed the IS-F in reviews, I think the TSX has the capability to destroy the IS250 on the high-way and even within the city driving. The IS250 on the other hand has an aggressive shell, but doesn't really live up to it's looks. I still love that car though. Now I'm beginning to think that the IS250 has become too sleek that it might just start to become feminine with its soft exterior. Both are sweet cars, still thinking about which one to get. For those who think FWD isn't fun/good, they will be surprised if they drive the TSX. It's a very balanced car, amazing handling for a FWD. It's crisp/nimble and isn't much different than the IS250 and feels sporty. Steering is much tighter in the TSX, which in turn encourages more confident cornering.

Love both the cars - IS250 and TSX (2008) !

Just for the kicks, check out the Audi RS4 vs. Lexus IS-F video by edmunds:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...O4-eCgAw&hl=en

Last edited by tsx_lex; 06-28-08 at 02:59 AM.
Old 06-28-08, 07:55 AM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
hey now, im in my 40's now and you should SEE my car, put alot of the young'ns here to shame AND... maybe due to my age, i do see nothing WRONG with the ES
Judd your in your 40's?!?! I will have to rethink my lighting stuff now. Just kidding

TSX I have driven all the lux sedans except for the Jags. All i can say is if you want comfort go for the IS. you cant beat it.
Old 06-28-08, 08:25 AM
LexFather

Both great cars. TSX is sub entry level luxury, the IS is entry level luxury. Lets see what we have here
-FWD, I-4, nice interior, fake wood, HID standard, fun for FWD

vs

-RWD, V-6, nice interior, real wood, no HID standard, fun period

IMO, the TSX does a very admirable job with what Honda gave it to work with. The IS is the real deal, based off the GS.

IN driving both, while both are no speed demons and the TSX might be slightly faster, the RWD chassis of the IS and paddle shifters feel more fun to me. The IS also looks spades better, with design details the TSX can only dream about. THe old TSX is nice looking but bland/conservative. You can't help but look at the IS.

Inside both are small, the IS rear is more cramped. Everything in the IS feels or is a higher grade over the TSX. You do have to remember the TSX is a Euro Accord.

IS 250 for me, without a 2nd thought.

Old 06-28-08, 08:38 AM
MLIAISON
Lead Lap

^^ HID's I believe are standard now in 2008 IS models
Old 06-28-08, 08:39 AM
LexFather

^^^ Thanks didn't know that.

Old 06-28-08, 08:44 AM
MLIAISON
Lead Lap

^No problem!
Old 06-28-08, 02:07 PM
tsx_lex
Rookie

Thanks again!
I agree with some of you but the I4 is the TSX is a bigger 4 cylinder engine as compared to the smaller-6 V6 cylinder in IS, i.e. 4 big cylinders generate about the same amount of power as compared to small 6 cylinders. Lexus has more luxury though but TSX IMO definitely has better driving ergonomics and excellent visibility, after test driving it... I think this car drives like a RWD, no torque steer at all... on the other hand, I really like how the IS250's steering is loose when it's slow and tightens up on the highway, very well executed steering wheel. From the test drive of the IS, I could tell that visibility overall (rear/side especially) is kinda poor. Not sure if this effects you guys a lot when you drive? Anyway... Both are great cars....

Also..what would be a good/great deal on the IS250 (without tax), including premium package, navigation (no ML audio).. I want the HIDs for sure..

The Lexus dealer gave me a quote close to $34,700 today (without tax), including the above mentioned packages..

Thanks.
Old 06-28-08, 02:21 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes the rear C pillar + rear quarter panel, if a car is in that spot, you cant see it even if you turn your head around.

I have to set my right side mirror to point out more than I ever needed to on any other car in order to compensate it. Before I set it that way, when a car was in that spot I cant see in my rear view mirror, check side mirror cant see, look over shoulder didnt see anything, and I almost side swiped the poor person

The back is also a bit high, and rear visibility when reversing isnt so great as I cant seem to tell how close I am from hitting. Over all the car gives you a feeling it is wider than what you think it is and you are always afraid of clipping something in the blind spots.
Old 06-28-08, 02:42 PM
tsx_lex
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikez
Yes the rear C pillar + rear quarter panel, if a car is in that spot, you cant see it even if you turn your head around.

I have to set my right side mirror to point out more than I ever needed to on any other car in order to compensate it. Before I set it that way, when a car was in that spot I cant see in my rear view mirror, check side mirror cant see, look over shoulder didnt see anything, and I almost side swiped the poor person

The back is also a bit high, and rear visibility when reversing isnt so great as I cant seem to tell how close I am from hitting. Over all the car gives you a feeling it is wider than what you think it is and you are always afraid of clipping something in the blind spots.
That was very helpful mikez... anyone else feels same way?
I guess you're never sure if it's safe to change lanes when a car is behind you (close) ? The TSX, I have to say that driving it was much easier comparatively, very good visibility all around..I actually don't care that much about the rear seats/room in the IS.. but would probably not prefer buying a car with poor visibility.. but this IS, man I'm almost sold on it..

Last edited by tsx_lex; 06-28-08 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-28-08, 03:24 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

unless you are getting the IS350 go with the TSX....

Quick Reply: Acura TSX 2008 or Lexus IS250 2008