IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My leather is wearing out

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-08, 09:35 AM
shn7926
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My leather is wearing out

07 is250, cashmere interior. I've noticed that the leather finish/color around the seat edges is wearing off. I know it's from entry/exit, but i don't think it should be showing such signs of wear after only 20k miles. Would this be covered under warranty or is it just normal wear and tear. also noticed the beginning signs of cracking in the leather. I clean and condition the leather on a regular basis.
Old 05-08-08, 10:03 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

normal and it's been posted on another thread that our semi annaline leather is very soft. it's been over a year and 5,000 miles but mine are still in top notch condition
Old 05-08-08, 10:08 AM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

me too..i clean, condition at regular basis too..but the wear is there..mostlikely from entry/exit. so what I did is everytime I enter/exit the car, I don't slide my *** in the seat edges..i would be more careful with that area. but my passengers...lol..so the cracking is more significant in the passenger seat although I enter/exit more than my passenger.

for solving it..idk yet..but it seems conditioning it would help a little
Old 05-08-08, 10:21 AM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem with my Cashmere interior with only 5k miles. The edges looks like it incurs jeans stains but it doesn't come off easily.

As for solution though...
Old 05-08-08, 10:23 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Seems that the **** people that "clean and condition" have the most problems with their leather. I just leave mine alone, and it looks as good as the day I bought it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 05-08-08, 10:29 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rfx45
I have the same problem with my Cashmere interior with only 5k miles. The edges looks like it incurs jeans stains but it doesn't come off easily.

Just like my Italian grandmother's house, plastic on everything!!!

The leather wear on the IS should be a warranty seat skin replacement item. I had a buddy who had both driver and passenger seat skin replaced in his 2005 Acura RL. Also, his steering wheel leather. I would strongly recommend that you clean and condition the leather in the future.
Old 05-08-08, 11:03 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian231
I would strongly recommend that you clean and condition the leather in the future.
If you bothered reading the OP, he is cleaning and conditioning the leather (regularly). I think that too many people over do that, thinking they're "protecting" it, when in reality doing damage.
Old 05-08-08, 11:15 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian231
Just like my Italian grandmother's house, plastic on everything!!!

Both of my grandmothers were Italian and had the plastic on all the living room furniture.On a warm day you would peel yourself off the couch.

My black leather seats stioll look new.I condition pretty often.I don't know for sure if that helps but I do love the leather scent of the conditioner.
Old 05-08-08, 11:28 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TimboIS
If you bothered reading the OP, he is cleaning and conditioning the leather (regularly). I think that too many people over do that, thinking they're "protecting" it, when in reality doing damage.
I sure did bother to read the OP's post. I stated my claim only to reflect on the fact that I do not have this issue with about 13k on my car and I was using the OEM conditioner/cleaner. I have a lot of experience with leather and leather care products. Some of the variables to consider are the manufacture process of this particular seat skin, color wear (if any), chemicals used the care for leather, clothing frequently worn (I.E. rough industrial clothing), if the vehicle is parked in direct sunlight and variant in temperature, etc.
Old 05-08-08, 11:54 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My 07 leather looks as good as the day I bought it! Although after reading this thread, it makes me a little more motivated to get off my butt and buy the OEM Lexus leather conditioner and use it.
Old 05-08-08, 12:50 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

LOL. Like Brian said....that's sooo Grandma and Grandpa's furniture.
Old 05-08-08, 12:50 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

At the risk of getting flamed, I have found that Toyota/Lexus leather (no difference) is the poorest wearing of any car I have owned. The leather wrinkles, the color coat wears off, and the wrinkles eventually crack. I had all of the leather covers on the front seats of my 99 RX300 replaced under warranty at about 3.5 years and now (9 years old) the front seat bottoms are worn and cracked. I use Leatherique about once every 4-6 months.
Old 05-08-08, 01:04 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sktn77a
At the risk of getting flamed, I have found that Toyota/Lexus leather (no difference) is the poorest wearing of any car I have owned. The leather wrinkles, the color coat wears off, and the wrinkles eventually crack. I had all of the leather covers on the front seats of my 99 RX300 replaced under warranty at about 3.5 years and now (9 years old) the front seat bottoms are worn and cracked. I use Leatherique about once every 4-6 months.
I don't think you should be flamed, Lexus leather is very soft and excess wear does come with this luxury. I have owned many cars with leather and the semi-aniline I am worried, may not wear as well.
Old 05-08-08, 01:34 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh man, I remember my grandma had that on her Aspen!
Old 05-08-08, 01:39 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I am also beginning to think conditioning the leather is what casues the cracking. I have never conditioned my leather and have never had cracking on any of my cars. However, I have always used a clean damp rag to wipe off the seats everytime I clean the car (which is weekly). Seems to work.

Quick Reply: My leather is wearing out