IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Two months of ownership, a couple of things...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-08, 01:46 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Two months of ownership, a couple of things...

First, is the rear view mirror supposed to shake with the sunroof open or bass in the radio? This has to be my biggest gripe. Took it to Keyes and they claim it's to spec. Not accepting that (I heard somewhere there was a TSB?).
Second, I noticed the left rear tailpipe is crooked (twisted). And looking at other IS's, they all seem that way. Anyone notice this? Minor, but strange.
What else? Well, it's a great car overall. Very nice lines and gets lots of looks and comments. I don't think it drives as sporty as the A4 I gave up, but it makes up for it with the styling and technology/features.
I think future models should be IS300's, but I hope they don't update things too much this fall.
Thanks for the replys.
Old 04-12-08, 10:26 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yup, there is a TSB for the rear view mirror. I haven't noticed that my tailpipe is cockeyed, and don't really care. Compared to a A4, you give up a sportier ride (which can be fixed with coilovers or springs, and sway bars), and get a much more luxurious car, that is reliable. All in all, the IS is a great car!
Old 04-12-08, 12:23 PM
kargahi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
...Second, I noticed the left rear tailpipe is crooked (twisted). And looking at other IS's, they all seem that way. Anyone notice this? Minor, but strange.
What else? Well, it's a great car overall. Very nice lines and gets lots of looks and comments. I don't think it drives as sporty as the A4 I gave up, but it makes up for it with the styling and technology/features.

Thanks for the replys.
oh yeah ... my tailpipe is also crooked!!! its a bit crooked to the left.. i thought i was mistaking but no..
and yeah... the sporty ride, A4 was totally different... but again... mine wasnt stock and goin from a fully moded A4 to isx50... it was kinda wierd but im gettin used to it... but i need to get on the coilover and springs asap!!! summer is almost here lol
Old 04-12-08, 04:24 PM
Fearlessfx
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iv had my IS for about two months as well now. I've been having an issue with the rear view mirror as well, but its just an annoyance.

Probably the only thing i really don't like about the IS is the handling.... the body rolls so much in the corners that I don't have much confidence in driving through the bends. I only have the basic suspension though, which might be the reason... id upgrade to some aftermarket suspension, but i don't want the drop, cuz i like the stock clearance in the winter time >_<
Old 04-12-08, 10:27 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

I do not like doing anything aftermarket. It deminishes resale, screws up the warranty, and I don't need the stress of arguing with a dealership service department. To me, a good car should be right from the factory, without having to spend additional money. The IS hits most marks, but it does not handle or ride like it's German competitors. It's a trade off I knew about and will accept over time.
I will mention the TSB for the mirror. The dealer said it was to spec, but that was only when I told them it vibrated with the stereo bass. I should have mentioned the sunroof being open, my bad.
If I have to say there is one thing that blows me away with the 250, it's the smoothness and quietness of the engine. At a stop, there is zero vibration. One can easily believe the engine is off. My A4 was like a tractor in camparison. I really appreciate this feature, as it exudes luxury and class. Every engine should be this smooth.
This being my first Asian car after many German cars, I am adjusting to the change. It's taking some time but I predict I'll like the outcome.
Thanks for the above info. =D
Old 04-12-08, 10:38 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Well said, I agree about the tradeoffs. I look forward to the future being trouble-free. This is the type of car I can keep after the lease and not worry about getting an extended warranty.
Old 04-14-08, 05:42 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

F-sport will offer upgraded shocks, springs, and sway bars.... all considered OEM for warranty purposes.