IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

installed GFX front lip and painted calipers

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-08, 09:40 AM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default installed GFX front lip and painted calipers

This was my weekend project. The lip install is really simple. I think the painted calipers made a nice but subtle difference.

http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/f...Linsie%20Cars/
Old 04-01-08, 09:51 AM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

lookin good, linsie's car looks sick too!
Old 04-01-08, 10:02 AM
gman1227
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not bad how was painting the calipers?
Old 04-01-08, 10:05 AM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

was that the stock calipers that you painted? how did you get the lexus letters on it? looks very nice!!
Old 04-01-08, 10:55 AM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Yeah, my girlfriend's car is sweet, its a 2007 328 coupe. I love that car a lot, and actually was gonna get a 335, but what's the point in having two cars that look alike...I wanted a little bit of variety.

Anyway, those are stock calipers. I bought the duplicor spray paint for calipers. What I did was clean the brakes with Carb cleaner (be careful not to get it on paint and rubber hoses)

Then cover the rotors and lines with tin foil to maske them. I also put some trash bags over the fenders and such to keep the overspray off the car.

Then I put on about 6 light coats. Make sure you go light, otherwise you'll get runs. Let the paint dry over night, apply the caliper stickers, and you're done. it's really easy.

Just be super careful putting the wheels back on, its easy to hit the calipers and chip the paint.

I had the caliper stickers on my IS300 for several years and there was no issue with peeling or anything, so I decided to go that route again.

Now I just have to paint the rear calipers to complete the look.
Old 04-01-08, 11:31 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ohh they have a spray version now??? i have the kit *brush type* and stickers on sitting on the shelf for about... 6months now... too lazy to do it but if theres a spray type
Old 04-01-08, 12:27 PM
weesped
Lexus Champion

Dont u have to worry about overspray when u use the spray type? who knows. looks nice. judd dont forget to do ur's by the next time i shoot ur car
Old 04-01-08, 01:18 PM
TLindeman
Rookie

Originally Posted by isthrizzy
Yeah, my girlfriend's car is sweet, its a 2007 328 coupe. I love that car a lot, and actually was gonna get a 335, but what's the point in having two cars that look alike...I wanted a little bit of variety.

Anyway, those are stock calipers. I bought the duplicor spray paint for calipers. What I did was clean the brakes with Carb cleaner (be careful not to get it on paint and rubber hoses)

Then cover the rotors and lines with tin foil to maske them. I also put some trash bags over the fenders and such to keep the overspray off the car.

Then I put on about 6 light coats. Make sure you go light, otherwise you'll get runs. Let the paint dry over night, apply the caliper stickers, and you're done. it's really easy.

Just be super careful putting the wheels back on, its easy to hit the calipers and chip the paint.

I had the caliper stickers on my IS300 for several years and there was no issue with peeling or anything, so I decided to go that route again.

Now I just have to paint the rear calipers to complete the look.

Where did you procure the stickers from? Also, did you clear over the stickers once applied?
Old 04-01-08, 01:37 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by isthrizzy
This was my weekend project. The lip install is really simple. I think the painted calipers made a nice but subtle difference.

http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/f...Linsie%20Cars/
Looks great!!! I can't wait for the weather to warm a bit so I can paint my calipers. I have only had the car 10 months, and the stock calipers are corroded form the salt.

P.S. If you want to insert the jpegs into this thread, all you have to do is copy the IMG code link into the body of your message.
Old 04-01-08, 02:43 PM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Let's see, yes you have to worry about overspray. I covered everything with aluminum foil (controll arms, hoses, blah blah). then I used trash bags to lay across the fenders and tuck into the wheel wells. This seemed to be OK. I did get a bit of overspray on the door because the wind was blowing thru my garage, however a clay bar will remove any overspray on the paint.

On my IS300, I used the brust on stuff (I think it was G2 caliper paint). That stuff was great. We'll see how well the spray stuff holds up.

Some people have used clear coat over the stickers. I did this on my IS300 without problems. Other members never did that, and they said it was OK wihtout the clear coat....so this time I figured no clear coat. If it does peel, I'll just get new stickers and then clear coat it...no biggie.

I got the stickers from motogfx or something like that. Flatline graffix also sells these stickers.

Last edited by isthrizzy; 04-02-08 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-01-08, 07:25 PM
Doushiyou
Pole Position

wow i want to do that. looks great. props
Old 04-01-08, 08:34 PM
MrxKvn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Doushiyou
wow i want to do that. looks great. props
i agree
Old 04-02-08, 08:11 AM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Yeah, I should have taken better pics with the wheels off, but I was in a rush. I still need to do the rear calipers. I'm just going to paint those, no stickers. that should be pretty easy considering they are so small. It looks funny with the fronts painted and the rears stock.