IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Do All Lexus' require as much shop time as mine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-08, 04:42 PM
Jay M
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do All Lexus' require as much shop time as mine?

I have had the car for about one and a half years, and it has about 26,000 miles.

I think it's been in the shop 10 times!

That is about twice as often as my '96 Maxima with 180,000 miles had in the last year and a half I owned it.

I bought a new car to avoid maintainace.

Today I just found out that the front rotors are worn out.

I'll give a short list of problems:
-Driver mirror scratched from factory defect- 3 trips to two dealers and a call to Lexus USA to finally get a new mirror.
-Parking brake absolutly sub par. Two trips to have it adjust, second time it just barely works
-dash ratles... 3 trip to the dealer for that... ficed for a few weeks now ratling aginan
-rear window squeaks... new window had to be installed, I had to pay to re-tint it
-trim on passenger door was comming apart.

Was this car built by Ford?

What is your experience?

~Jay
Old 03-13-08, 04:48 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Dude you got a Lemon. From my experiences, Lexus/Toyota and Honda/Acura cars have been nothing but great cars as far as maintenance goes. I wouldn't buy anything else. I guess I've been lucky??? Sorry to hear you're having sooo many issues
Old 03-13-08, 04:49 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay M
What is your experience?
That's odd. Having so much trouble with the 2IS is uncommon, but the 2IS does have it's share of quality issues, such as dash rattles and brake issues.

I have had my fair share of troubles, but all remedied rather easily by my dealer.

How is your dealer's Service Department's reputation? Are they able to service your vehicle appropriately and timely?
Old 03-13-08, 06:17 PM
Scottina08
Lead Lap

maybe its the owner?
Old 03-13-08, 06:30 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

You shouldn't need new rotors after only 26000 miles unless you drive like a maniac (which I assume you don't). Are your pads worn out too? Whatever the cause (wear, warping, etc) you shouldn't need new rotors this early. I went almost 100,000 miles on my RX300 and BMW530i before needing new pads and the Lexus didn't even need rotors!
Old 03-13-08, 07:03 PM
Jay M
Rookie

I bought the car at Lexus of Santa Monica. They are horrible. The service manager wouldn't even talk to me about the defective mirrors. I only went there for the initial factory/dealer issues because I bought the car there. Lexus USA suggested I not go there any more for service. There is a dealer in my neighborhood that has a very good service department.

I don't drive that car very hard at all. I gave a it a very gentle break-in period. The brakes just wear out too fast.

How many miles do most of you get on your IS350 brakes? Remember, they are different than the 250.

The rear brake pads were replaced under warranty because they were squealing after only a few thousand miles. The dealer suggested that it was because they are "performance" brakes. I reminded him that Corvette, Porsche, Ferrari, and the like all have performance brakes that don't squeal. I asked where in the brochure it says that this $40,000 Lexus has brakes that are designed to squeal. Rather than argue they just agreed to replace that pads with a stern reminder that it was only a favor. Fortunately the squealing went away after that.

This car is very much like my '89 Firebird Formula 350. It was constantly in the shop.

maybe its the owner?
What could I be doing wrong that would cause the dash to rattle? .... and parking brake to not work?.... and door trim to come apart? .... and the starter to rattle?... and the heater to blow hot air out of the top vents even though I set it to blow from the floor only?

~Jay
Old 03-13-08, 07:10 PM
solspeed
Driver

u got a lemon's buddy. My 350's is perfect except few minor issue like brakepad worn out early, and ML subs blowns. Other then that, loving my IS's , beside it a fagg-matic.
Old 03-13-08, 07:13 PM
Jay M
Rookie

Originally Posted by solspeed
u got a lemon's buddy. My 350's is perfect except few minor issue like brakepad worn out early, and ML subs blowns. Other then that, loving my IS's , beside it a fagg-matic.
Is your's an '07? maybe the 06's had some issues to be ironed out.

How many miles do you have? When did the brake pad wear out?
Old 03-13-08, 07:14 PM
solspeed
Driver

It not even like the motors stop working or somthing. Take it back to where you buy it from. If your not satisfied with it buy another brand and regret. Please dont compare lexus to Ford, stop while u can ,before u get flame's at
Old 03-13-08, 07:17 PM
solspeed
Driver

I have an 07, 24k now. Havent replace my pad yet! but need to do it soon, ASAP
Old 03-13-08, 07:25 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scottina08
maybe its the owner?
aka loose nut behind the wheel?....

Relax..we are just kidding
Old 03-13-08, 07:57 PM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

wow... im so hard on my car and still have yet to see any issues... i have absolutely no rattles either (temporarly had one small rattle in the driver's door but that was easily fixed)... you must have gotten a lemon
Old 03-13-08, 08:39 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine's been in a few times too!! Here's what she's been in for:

1)CEL/VSC due to cracked gas cap
2)updated navigation DVD. Before the update it showed me to be in the middle of the ocean!!
3) TSIB for grinding noise at start up.
4) TSIB for excessive brake dust (done by dealer without my asking for it)
5)CEL/VSC (again) this time for a defective charcoal canister.
Old 03-13-08, 09:21 PM
timucla
Driver

Agreed, you have a lemon. The only things my car has been in for are the TSIBs and routine maintenance
Old 03-13-08, 09:25 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL ford? i owned a modded by me '89 5.0 5speed and never had one problem with it, not once 'Found On Road Dead'... sold it after i bought lexi cuz i wanted to buy some rims and needed the money, dont know what you mean by 'ford'

As for your problems, you got a lemon. My car has been to the dealer twice since i bought the car, for brake tsb and for the 1st free 5k tune-up thingy and got the mirror tsb done at the same time. Wont be going to the stealership again for the rest of the maintanance schedule thats for sure.

Quick Reply: Do All Lexus' require as much shop time as mine?