IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HELLO ALL- NEW IS350 Owner-first impressions compared to my 03 G35 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-08, 10:10 AM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default HELLO ALL- NEW IS350 Owner-first impressions compared to my 03 G35 coupe

Hello everyone...I'm not new to the forums been on here for many years...whenI first got my ES300 (which I still have)

Just picked up a CPO 2006 IS350 yesterday...bought it last week , but they prep'd it cleaned, etc...and I got it ysterday and drove it home and drove it around yesterday..for the first time (since the test drive) .

I had a G35 Coupe For 3 years that I bought new in 03 -sold in end of 06 (it only had 14k on it when i let it go mind you but still had too many little stupid issues that would resurface-and yes I must have gone to every damn dealer service in NYC) so basically after having Toyota build quality in my family for many years (2 corolla,2 camry, 4 runner, es300, Sienna) I had no patience for going to the service dept 10 times in 14000 mi but anywyas-

First impressions IMO from the IS350 compared to the G35 coupe:
I must say I like the car very very much ..POwer is very nice, especially off a rolling start...low end torque from a power brake take off with TRAC off...rear wheels would spin up and TRAC would kick in anyways (then dont say its "OFF if it aint really "OFF"-ya gotta hate that) ..but ehh I'll seach for the code of wht ever to really shut it down.

It is definately faster on rolling take off and stand still than the 03 G35C..but the G35C has much less pedal travel in auto before it will quickly ownshift and give you a torquey "blast off"...The IS will gradually accellerate unless you almost floor it and then POW it "blasts off"- which I like because its mbetter controlled that way...The G35C would do it sometimes when I didnt want it to. I like the IS's accelleration better and its noticibly quicker than he G35C- (at least 2003)

The brakes on the G35C were better ..noticably better, NOT night and day better but they have more and quicker bite than the IS

G35C was more sure footed in spirited driving...a bit stiffer in the suspension and handled better---this difference in the IS350 was not a significant as the brakes..but the G35C just feels more planted...but the IS350 was very good..I did feel confident just not as planted as the G35C.

All around Ride is much nicer in the IS350..just cruisin it is much nicer, its tight but not firm and the steering is a very very good feel spirited and regualr driving...The G35 was a little tighter on the steering and almost unnesessarily so...because it doesnt steer better than the IS350...its just tighter not better...where is the IS feels less tight but very sporty without overdoing steering effort to enforce a "sporty" feel.

all in all --all i would change or improve in my opinoin and this is just in comparison with the G35C (no flames please..LOL).
is the handling - just a touch more sure footed-feel (didnt feel like it couldnt take it--just basically had more lean and sway than the G35)
AND the brakes I would definately like more BITE

Thanks for listening to my 2 cents!
ALL in ALL its good to be back on the forums and now learn all about my IS350

Oh and the Tranny is GREAT!!!---In manual mode is SPANKS the G35C..it actually switches gears when you ask it to...the delay is so much shorter than the G35C ..its a realistic delay as if you would be shifting with a stick ...the Fkin G35C would take like an actual like 3/4 of a second to swtich (HATED THAT!)
and the 6 speeds is NICE!

ANY ADVICE OR COMMENTS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED...thanks for all the advice on the pricing of it also!

Last edited by NYC ES3; 03-09-08 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-09-08, 10:44 AM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

uhh delay... it seems like the is350 for me takes between 1 and 2 seconds to shift 0.o
Old 03-09-08, 11:41 AM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by inxexisten
uhh delay... it seems like the is350 for me takes between 1 and 2 seconds to shift 0.o

Really???... Dont think it would be different but the shifting for me is pretty quick...simulated as if it were a stick...No its not instantaneous but neither is an actual shift..
I tell ya what...its a HELL of a lot faster than the G35 coupe's manual mode shifting

...THIS IS a nit pick jus my opinion gripe...I dont like that BIG RED "O" in the speedometer once you go over 100MPH...its destracting...or maybe I gotta get used to it...i dont know...just didnt like a big azz RED "O" poping up in my face while I'm driving

(and before I get the "internet speeding comment cops" posting "how no one should speed" blah blah blah...please spare me the BS...EVERYONE Speeds--even the cops AND YOU..THIS was done in very LATE NIGHT/ OPen road conditions ..I would not risk my or anyone elses life..thanks)

Last edited by NYC ES3; 03-09-08 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-09-08, 01:12 PM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you get the sport package or lux package...the handling is slightly better with a sports package on the IS....also did you get 17's or 18's? options???? Congrats....
Old 03-09-08, 01:15 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Having an 04 G35 coupe in the family I would say that your observations about handling are correct. It's firmer more direct and balanced than the IS350. The steering is appropriately heavier and direct too for a sporty car. The IS is a loose floppy rolley polley boat in comparison. Since you got an '06 in order to turn off the traction control you'll have to do the pedal dance it's (up up down down left right left right B, A) *just kidding*. If you got a 07 you wouldn't need to do the dance combo. Just hold the button. The way you switched off the traction control only keeps it off for up to 30mph then comes back on.

About the instant kick you in your butt feel of G35 dead stop accelleration. You'll find that if you switch to PWR mode that the throttle response is changed to be more direct and sensitive and more G35 like. You say that the G35's brakes are better due to more "bite" but some folks on the G35 boards complain about that "bite" and the original pads in the IS350 did have that instant bite but people actually complained about those enough to have them changed out for less dusty pads that don't brake as hard but are more progressive in feel. Maybe the previous owner of your IS got them switched out. In any case the drive is definately more engaging in the G35 in comparison to the IS350 but you'll get used to it. It's definately a step up in quietness, comfort, fuel economy, and reliability. Enjoy your new ride!

Last edited by ba-b4; 03-09-08 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-09-08, 03:11 PM
Namir
Lead Lap

Love both the cars. They are different but they are both good at what they do. I agree with the above post, try the PWR mode.
As far as brakes... you can't match those brembos.... unless you get a BBK for your IS
and the floppy stance, try a set of lowering springs(eibach, tanabe, tein)... or coils if you have deeper pockets.

Enjoy the ride!
Old 03-09-08, 03:13 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Congrats on your new IS
Old 03-09-08, 03:14 PM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/d...d/02073car.pdf

According to R&T's comparison, The IS has a faster slalom time, and better acceleration...The G35 better brakes. They used a car with the sports package...I have one with it, and I find the steering and handling very good for stock...I drove a G35 sedan as well and found it was a pretty well built car....but not quite a Lexus, but you know that..lol...
Old 03-09-08, 03:44 PM
k_dizzle
Pole Position

CONGRATS!!! but you brought the car without a test drive first? big NO NO
Old 03-09-08, 03:45 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

doesnt the pedal dance turn off everything like ABS, traction control, some other stuff i have no clue about cause i forgot. and then holding down the traction control button just shuts off the traction control ONLY.
Old 03-09-08, 05:38 PM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by M1sTa801
doesnt the pedal dance turn off everything like ABS, traction control, some other stuff i have no clue about cause i forgot. and then holding down the traction control button just shuts off the traction control ONLY.
Pedal dance turns everything EXCEPT ABS off.
Old 03-09-08, 05:48 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happily, sway bars and front/rear braces will make the IS dance like a BMW... or a G35.
Old 03-09-08, 05:59 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

congrats on the new car... the IS350 eats G35's alive!!!!
Old 03-09-08, 06:11 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

You will enjoy the IS 350 much more, I jumped from infiniti to Lexus with my gen1 several years ago. Much better than the g and you will agree down the road. Congrats on the new ride.
Old 03-09-08, 06:24 PM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

i also traded a '03 g coupe for the '06 is350 when it came out. the lex is faster, gets better mileage, and has head room for rear passengers. the handling of the lex can be 'compensated' by proper weight shifting techniques.

Quick Reply: HELLO ALL- NEW IS350 Owner-first impressions compared to my 03 G35 coupe