Swisha
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i rather drive a base model 250 than a fully loaded hyundai any day of the week
Old 03-02-08, 10:57 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

I think Hyundai builds a very good car. The brand still does not have the reliability record of Toyota/Lexus. The resale values are poor. But it's the way of the future - just like "Made in Japan" was a joke in the 1960's.

They sure showed us!

Last edited by sktn77a; 03-02-08 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-02-08, 11:00 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by moses0324
...i dont care if that was where lexus was in the 80's...the fact is hyundai is a lower level car...not even on the same tier
How do you think every brand started out? BMW started out with crappy cars that are not even close to the same market they're in today, but now they're perceived as Tier 1. Toyota had crappy cars, along with many other manufacturers. Hyundai could turn out to be great. No company can overturn themselves overnight. Hyundai is a lot better now than they were before, but we still can't forget them. Remember, Lexus themselves have already stated that Hyundai could be a thread to them. Lexus acknowledges this!! I think that says a lot right there.
Old 03-02-08, 11:39 AM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Even though it's still a 'hyundai', you have to remember what the world thought of Lexus back in the late 80s. The way many Lexus guys are looking down at Hyundai is similar to the way the MB, BMW, etc guys looked at Lexus back then.

To some, "Lexus is still an expensive Toyota", which we know isn't true at all. Perhaps Hyundai gave extra attention to the Genesis, just like how Toyota gives Lexus the same treatment. All we can do from now on is just wait for its debut to see what the car is all about.

Not quite the same...in the 80s, Toyota he already established itself as RELIABLE, DEPENDABLE, SOLID BUILT cars...not luxurious though. I mean EVERYONE knows someone with a 70's era celica with like 200k miles on it...it was inexpensive, easy to maintain, and reliable. Then they added luxury and called it Lexus. Hyundai has NEVER been called reliable....the 90s era Hyundais were absolutely HORRIBLE, and would last maybe 3-5 years. How many do you see on the road now? NONE. You will still see 70s era Toyotas though. Lexus was never looked down upon, and its why its the number 1 Japanese premium brand. If you look in the garages of million dollar homes, you will see more Lexus cars than other brands...especially with people over 40. (may not be a good thing for brand image...lol) The reason is the build quality and reliability were never a question, and the luxury of them was top notch on par or BETTER than MB and BMW...Now if Hyundai makes great cars for about 10 years and sets themselves up as a great reliable car company, then starts a luxury division, then it will be the same.
Old 03-02-08, 12:13 PM
LEXLEE
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't care for Hyundai until Azera came out. Now the Genesis looks even better and I would get it if I needed a full size 4 door sedan.
Old 03-02-08, 12:14 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

I think there is more than one issue here.

Lexus started out as a top tier brand from Toyota in separate dealerships all by themselves. Yes, everyone knew Lexus was a new brand from Toyota, but what makes a huge difference is when you develop a completely separate line altogether.

Remember the Volkswagon Phaeton? Their attempt to compete with the highend cars? I thought the Phaeton was the best looking VW that I've ever seen, but at the end of the day most folks that were going to plop down 80-95k would rather have the Audi A8 which is what it appeared to be based from.

As far as the Hyundai Genesis, it doesn't matter how hard you try, you just can't polish a turd.

Cheers,
Old Oiler

Last edited by Old Oiler; 03-02-08 at 12:30 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-02-08, 12:16 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

haha. I wouldn't drive a Hyundai if one was given to me free of charge. Korean cars suck! You get what you pay for!
Old 03-02-08, 12:17 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Even though it's still a 'hyundai', you have to remember what the world thought of Lexus back in the late 80s. The way many Lexus guys are looking down at Hyundai is similar to the way the MB, BMW, etc guys looked at Lexus back then.
Yes and how did they look at the Lexus of the early 90's? they looked at the rear bumpers of the Lexus driving down the road as they wait on the side for the tow truck... so...
Old 03-02-08, 12:18 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

The Genesis will definitely be full of value, but you will NOT get the Lexicon stereo, Nav, and all luxury options on the Genesis for 30K. Expect a loaded Genesis to approach 40K with the V6, and exceed 40K with the V8.

You also cannot ignore the difference in dealership service and experience between Lexus and Hyundai, or the piece of mind you will have with a Lexus. These are things that are hard to put a price on.
Old 03-02-08, 12:27 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The front of the Genesis looks like they copied the previous S class and the rear looks like they copied the current 7 series. Not too bad looking for a 30K midsize car. I am sure it is a bargain of a car, but I am also sure the likes of lexus, Infiniti, Audi, MB are going to be better, but you will definately pay for it.
Old 03-02-08, 12:29 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Yes and how did they look at the Lexus of the early 90's? they looked at the rear bumpers of the Lexus driving down the road as they wait on the side for the tow truck... so...
I'm sure you know what I meant.

Incase you didn't, the BMW and benz guys looked down on Lexus merely because of the prestige that comes along with the badge. You have people claiming "it's still a hyundai" without regarding hyundai's current status on quality/reliability (which is up there if I might add). Obviously Lexus is still king in the reliability department, but this isn't about reliability at all. It's the image/prestige that people are refuting.
Old 03-02-08, 12:29 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to mention Toyota needs to redesign the GS, it is kinda ugly. They need to make it look more futuristic and sylish, it is to conservative now. Then again I think the E63 is the best looking midsize, but even that I am not in love with. I know the GS isn't an E63 but you get what I mean.
Old 03-02-08, 12:36 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by DaWhole9
Not quite the same...in the 80s, Toyota he already established itself as RELIABLE, DEPENDABLE, SOLID BUILT cars...not luxurious though. I mean EVERYONE knows someone with a 70's era celica with like 200k miles on it...it was inexpensive, easy to maintain, and reliable. Then they added luxury and called it Lexus. Hyundai has NEVER been called reliable....the 90s era Hyundais were absolutely HORRIBLE, and would last maybe 3-5 years. How many do you see on the road now? NONE. You will still see 70s era Toyotas though. Lexus was never looked down upon, and its why its the number 1 Japanese premium brand. If you look in the garages of million dollar homes, you will see more Lexus cars than other brands...especially with people over 40. (may not be a good thing for brand image...lol) The reason is the build quality and reliability were never a question, and the luxury of them was top notch on par or BETTER than MB and BMW...Now if Hyundai makes great cars for about 10 years and sets themselves up as a great reliable car company, then starts a luxury division, then it will be the same.
Within the last 10 years, Hyundai has gone from sh|t to overall well done. Even our great mod 1SICKLEX acknowledges this. The Hyundai today is not the same as the Hyundai from 20 years ago. Lexus never been looked down upon? Lexus may be up there now, but there are still many who sees Mercedes > Lexus. There are more S-classes than there are LS sold. There are more E-class sold than GS. The RX and ES makes up the majority of the Lexus sales. Of all the Lexus, it's going to be the LS that makes it into those million dollar homes. No way am I saying Hyundai is better than Lexus. That would be crazy talk, but you cannot disregard them for their nameplate only, which is the point i'm trying to come across. That would be as silly as many Benz owners disregarding Lexus for its name (which does happen a lot). If Lexus themselves considered Hyundai a 'threat', then that alone says A LOT.
Old 03-02-08, 12:39 PM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

I'm sure you know what I meant.

Incase you didn't, the BMW and benz guys looked down on Lexus merely because of the prestige that comes along with the badge. You have people claiming "it's still a hyundai" without regarding hyundai's current status on quality/reliability (which is up there if I might add). Obviously Lexus is still king in the reliability department, but this isn't about reliability at all. It's the image/prestige that people are refuting.
What is this reliability thing you speak of? Just curious...is Hyundai rated high? Better than BMW, Mercedes (not hard to do), Infiniti, Acura? How about durability, what are the long term tests showing? What are model year 2000 cars looking like? Or are they still unproven? My point is there is REASON to question a Hyundai....there was no reason to question anything about a Lexus except its luxury. Which could be seen easily. Also durability wasnt a question as Toyota trucks had been proven for years. They had TRD which made fast race cars, they just couldnt get upscale people to buy a high end Toyota so they made a "Luxury Division"
Old 03-02-08, 12:43 PM
Rash
hmm

I like Hyundai these days, but I won't be comparing with my car

Quick Reply: IS250 VS. Hyundai genesis