IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

for people that have bumper plugs......

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-07, 07:45 AM
SpaceCadet
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default for people that have bumper plugs......

Has anyone able to fit them WITHOUT redrilling to widen the holes? I would like to be able to put the plates back on whenever the need arise.
Old 11-02-07, 08:11 AM
twitte
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Bumper Plugs

I just went to NAPA Auto Parts and bought some black plastic plugs (Balkamp p/n 665-2436 called "Retaining Clips"), painted them last night with my Lexus touch up paint and plugged them into the existing license plate holes this morning - without having to redrill anything. Total cost was about $5 for a bag of 10 plugs plus the touch up paint, which I already had. I too was concerned and didn't want to make the already ugly hole any larger, especially if I ended up putting my front plate back on. The top of the plug is about 1/2" in diameter which is what I needed to cover the hole. My hole was about 3/16". The plugs just snapped right in without a problem.

Last edited by twitte; 03-25-09 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Added a photo and part number for plugs
Old 11-02-07, 08:22 AM
mikeho
Lead Lap

haha... oh man.. I wish I thought of doing that... I got mine from bumperplugs.com... hopefully they'll be better in quality. I get them today and I'll be installing them this weekend... I don't think I'll have to resize the holes, but we'll see.
Old 11-02-07, 08:28 AM
twitte
Pit Crew

Default Bumper Plugs

I did the same thing (buying black plastic plugs from the auto parts store and repainting them with my touchup paint) for 2 Porsches and it works great. They look pretty good too. I almost bought the plugs from bumperplugs.com but didn't like the idea of having to drill the hole larger. Also after paying shipping it was $33 for 2 plugs. If I wanted a custom color (they didn't have my exact color) it would have been $129. Ouch!

When you get your plugs today could you please take a photo of them before you install them? I would really like to see what they look like (the part that goes into the bumper). Thanks.

Last edited by twitte; 11-02-07 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-02-07, 08:54 AM
SpaceCadet
Driver

Originally Posted by twitte
I just went to NAPA Auto Parts and bought some black plastic plugs, painted them last night with my Lexus touch up paint and plugged them into the existing license plate holes this morning - without having to redrill anything. Total cost was about $5 for a bag of 10-15 plugs plus the touch up paint, which I already had. I too was concerned and didn't want to make the already ugly hole any larger, especially if I ended up putting my front plate back on. The top of the plug is about 1/2" in diameter which is what I needed to cover the hole. My hole was about 3/16". The plugs just snapped right in without a problem.
Since it snapped in, is it easy to remove them?
Old 11-02-07, 09:07 AM
truoutkast
Pole Position

should be able to remove easily...if not, pry it off....it's only $5 for a bag of 10....that's like 5 fixie tickets before you have to buy new bag of plugs.
Old 11-02-07, 09:11 AM
twitte
Pit Crew

Default Bumper Plugs

Originally Posted by SpaceCadet
Since it snapped in, is it easy to remove them?
Yes, I just went out to my car and pulled one out with my finger nails. They are in tight enough so they won't vibrate out but can be removed without a problem. Take a look at the photo of the part that snaps into the bumper and make sure you get the same design. NAPA has them.

Last edited by twitte; 11-02-07 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-05-07, 12:49 AM
mikeho
Lead Lap

They look much more solid than the ones you took pictures for. Sorry I didn't get a chance to take pictures or mount them yet. Will do so later today. I'm taking the car into the shop for some TSIBs in the morning...
Old 11-06-07, 11:31 AM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Hey all,

I finally got the bumper plugs pictures uploaded. Lexus still has my car, so I haven't installed them yet.

more pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mitalum...7602964048150/
Old 11-06-07, 11:41 AM
twitte
Pit Crew

Thanks for the photos. They look like a good quality plug. Let us know if you really had to drill the hole larger or the plug would fit into the existing license plate hole.
Old 11-06-07, 12:52 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes u do need to drill a larger hole if you buy from bumperplugs...thats what i did... the photo quality sux and the car is dirty...please dun mind...

Old 11-06-07, 01:21 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by twitte
I just went to NAPA Auto Parts and bought some black plastic plugs (Balkamp p/n 665-2436 called "Retaining Clips"), painted them last night with my Lexus touch up paint and plugged them into the existing license plate holes this morning - without having to redrill anything. Total cost was about $5 for a bag of 10 plugs plus the touch up paint, which I already had. I too was concerned and didn't want to make the already ugly hole any larger, especially if I ended up putting my front plate back on. The top of the plug is about 1/2" in diameter which is what I needed to cover the hole. My hole was about 3/16". The plugs just snapped right in without a problem.

Wow great idea!
Old 11-07-07, 09:45 AM
mikeho
Lead Lap

So... I took off my license plate frame this morning to take a look at the holes.. it does look like I'll need to drill bigger ones, but...

the license plate screws put two dents into my bumper! I'm not talking about the ones that hold the frame to the car, I'm talking about the ones that hold the license plate to the bumper! I've never hit anyone or gotten hit. Has anyone else had this problem? Do the techs at the dealership that install these frames use an electric screwdriver and tighten too much? I didn't get a chance to take pictures this morning, but I can post ones later this week if it doesn't make any sense.
Old 11-07-07, 09:51 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not that i know of....maybe tough luck i guess...
Old 11-07-07, 09:53 AM
twitte
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mikeho
So... I took off my license plate frame this morning to take a look at the holes.. it does look like I'll need to drill bigger ones, but...

the license plate screws put two dents into my bumper! I'm not talking about the ones that hold the frame to the car, I'm talking about the ones that hold the license plate to the bumper! I've never hit anyone or gotten hit. Has anyone else had this problem? Do the techs at the dealership that install these frames use an electric screwdriver and tighten too much? I didn't get a chance to take pictures this morning, but I can post ones later this week if it doesn't make any sense.
I had a similar problem. No dents, but the license plate screws took some paint off my bumper from being screwed in so tight.

Quick Reply: for people that have bumper plugs......