IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Front Air Dam Lip Install Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-07, 10:10 PM
axis77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
Well, 4GRFSE-GFM and Dj_Amtrax were right. I rolled the car up on rhino ramps and unbolted everything. I carefully inspected all of the tabs and noticed that the tabs on the corners were not fully locked. I used some gentle force and I heard a loud snap of satisfaction. I did the same for the other side. A gap remains, but it is FAR smaller than previously.

Moral of the story: I would HIGHLY recommend getting ramps or jacking up the car. I was hardly able to fit my head under the car otherwise. Make sure all of the tabs are fully inserted and click.

Pics:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Last Q: Where are you guys using the cable ties? I did not see a place that would have helped reduce the gaps. I probably won't do it, as I am satisfied as it is now, but for other people who are doing the mod.

Thanks to everyone for all their help!
WOW much better, i can tell the diifference....
Old 06-26-07, 05:55 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks great now!!! There is almost always going to be a slight gap, in fact, I think yours looks better than some of the port-installed jobs I've seen... Nice work! Enjoy
Old 07-09-07, 01:10 AM
mcv007
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello... i just bought a front lip spoiler for my is 250..... do you think if i use a 3M tape it will hold pretty well??? or do u think i should drill the lip into the bumper??? also wat kind of 3M tape did u use??? any advice would help.... thanks in advance!!! also last question.... was it easy to install??
Old 07-09-07, 02:45 AM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its an easy diy use the industrial strength one, mines didnt come with any it should also hold really snug
Old 11-29-07, 01:01 AM
VIP07lexIS
Pole Position

Im going to have to redo mines also. The gap is irritating but I learned to deal with it for the time being. Tried to use a ramp but the tires kept kicking them out from under the car. I might have to get those ramps for lowered cars to see if the clips are all in tight. It didnt help much either by adding more 3M tape to the sides. They ended up sticking so good that there was less play for me to push the sides in more. Going to attempt to fix it once I have more time and get more parts in. Thanks for the tips.
Old 11-29-07, 04:14 AM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

def. saving this thread... im installing mine when ever it arrives!!!
Old 11-29-07, 09:00 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VIP07lexIS
Im going to have to redo mines also. The gap is irritating but I learned to deal with it for the time being. Tried to use a ramp but the tires kept kicking them out from under the car. I might have to get those ramps for lowered cars to see if the clips are all in tight. It didnt help much either by adding more 3M tape to the sides. They ended up sticking so good that there was less play for me to push the sides in more. Going to attempt to fix it once I have more time and get more parts in. Thanks for the tips.
No problem.

If your car is lowered, the rhino ramps from Autozone will not fit. I have heard that applying the 3m tape to the sides will increase the gap. So this might attribute to the problem and the clips might be fine. This is why i did not remove the spoiler when fixing the gaps. Post some pics and I should be able to tell if the clips are locked.
Old 06-15-08, 10:37 AM
kindred6ul
Driver

Originally Posted by Stock4AG
You can get cable ties at radio shack or any hardware store
If you are going to work on it again can you take some pictures about these tabs ? It looks alot better, hopefully you can get rid of the little gap on the side too. Does the adhesive pad work now?
Im pretty sure VikDaddy wanted to know "where" on the car are they using cable ties. Im also curious to where these guys are putting cable ties on the bumper. It doesn't seem like there's a place that could benefit from using this technique.
Old 08-25-08, 10:28 AM
PreTTyB0i5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VikH
Well, 4GRFSE-GFM and Dj_Amtrax were right. I rolled the car up on rhino ramps and unbolted everything. I carefully inspected all of the tabs and noticed that the tabs on the corners were not fully locked. I used some gentle force and I heard a loud snap of satisfaction. I did the same for the other side. A gap remains, but it is FAR smaller than previously.

Moral of the story: I would HIGHLY recommend getting ramps or jacking up the car. I was hardly able to fit my head under the car otherwise. Make sure all of the tabs are fully inserted and click.

Last Q: Where are you guys using the cable ties? I did not see a place that would have helped reduce the gaps. I probably won't do it, as I am satisfied as it is now, but for other people who are doing the mod.

Thanks to everyone for all their help!
Vik question.....

Just out of curiosity, whats the main difference between installing the front on ramps than without? Are you more observant of what you're doing? cuz I had the same problem with the stock lip, I curbed it on a parking cinder-block and so I bought a new one off a guy on CL... installed it and never got it to fit flush.. The ends would be a couple mm off, which is stupid cuz its a F-in' oem front lip (installed w/o the car on ramps). Input would be greatly appreciated...

Last edited by PreTTyB0i5; 08-25-08 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-25-08, 11:40 AM
turbo630hp
Driver School Candidate

I just did mine about 2 weeks ago without a ramp and it worked out just fine. I did read a lot on this forum just to see what I was getting into.
Old 08-25-08, 12:30 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PreTTyB0i5
Vik question.....

Just out of curiosity, whats the main difference between installing the front on ramps than without? Are you more observant of what you're doing? cuz I had the same problem with the stock lip, I curbed it on a parking cinder-block and so I bought a new one off a guy on CL... installed it and never got it to fit flush.. The ends would be a couple mm off, which is stupid cuz its a F-in' oem front lip (installed w/o the car on ramps). Input would be greatly appreciated...
It's harder to do without the car elevated. If you have similar gaps as shown in my pictures, then the lip isn't fully locked in place. You need to make sure all the clips are locked. Having the car elevated makes this easier, so you can push on the bumper while pulling in on the lip.
Old 08-25-08, 07:59 PM
IS350JDM
Lead Lap

I put mine on last week and it went well. My gaps are exactly like your "after" shots.

One thing that I found was that once the clips are snapped in, you can still nudge the lip left and right to centre the lip properly. One side can have a larger gap than the other, but just shift it a bit and it will be centered.
Old 08-25-08, 11:28 PM
Clark Kent
Pole Position

Awesome job once again Vik! Lookin' good! Glad you fixed the gaps! My sides & rear is supposed to arrive tomorrow!
Old 08-26-08, 05:18 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Clark Kent
Awesome job once again Vik! Lookin' good! Glad you fixed the gaps! My sides & rear is supposed to arrive tomorrow!
FYI: This thread is from last year. I have stored my new front lip I just received and I am waiting for my old one to get trashed. I am still waiting to hear back from the body shop. I'll let you know.
Old 08-26-08, 05:28 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey VikH, how did you get those clips out? I couldnt pry it out so I had to go behind the fenders, it took me close to 40 mins getting those bastards out, and now one of them wont go in, so I jammed it partially in and its stuck there

And turns out when the body shop repaired my bumper they only put 5 of the original 9 screws in.

But at least the lip is on now

Quick Reply: Front Air Dam Lip Install Problems