IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Mark Levinson Head unit WORKS, without ML amp

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-07, 09:17 AM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no no no I mean if I could get a ML head unit like you have there could I installed it to a non Navi system?
Old 02-14-07, 12:53 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ISbb
no no no I mean if I could get a ML head unit like you have there could I installed it to a non Navi system?
Why do you want the ML DVD if you do not have the nav?
Old 02-14-07, 02:23 PM
LiS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shaolin
Why do you want the ML DVD if you do not have the nav?

Ok......I have this

need this (don`t need nav, only dvd and A\C - radio control functions)

Possible?
Old 02-14-07, 09:41 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

It can work if you can get the parts(which will be pretty hard to do). You need the
Nav Console
ML head unit
wire harnesses to the Nav
J63 video cable

If you dont have the ML amplifier,the nav console will recognize that you do not have it and will play the audio as Dolby Digital 3/2 or Dolby Digital 2.0

But if you do have the amp, it will appear as ML surround.
without ML amp

with ML amp
Old 02-15-07, 03:36 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

so is the NAV working or what?
Old 08-19-11, 11:18 AM
TxAdamFitz
Driver School Candidate

Are you saying the ML head unit has analog outputs? Is there any way to get a harness for this so I can bypass my ML amp all together?
Old 08-19-11, 11:42 AM
jnguyen87
Lead Lap

from quickly reading, NO you can NOT watch DVDs, and NO you can NOT have Nav just by doing this. ALL he did was put a ML head unit in a NON-ML equipped IS and was SHOCKED that it even played ANY audio at all. Still DOES NOT have ML quality surround because he does not have the amp. So in closing, I dont know why the hell he took the time to do it anyway..See Post #11

Unless you plan on doing a whole bunch of splicing..
Old 08-19-11, 11:57 AM
Legend217
Driver

Factory ML HU equipped IS also have extra speaker as far as i know. Without that extra speaker and amp, sound quality will stay the same as non ML unit. You will not get the surround sound effects
Old 08-19-11, 12:00 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Legend217
Factory ML HU equipped IS also have extra speaker as far as i know. Without that extra speaker and amp, sound quality will stay the same as non ML unit. You will not get the surround sound effects
If I recall, the speakers, the body panels (because the speakers dimensions) and wiring are different for ML. You're basically taking the car apart from the inside for this to work.
Old 08-19-11, 12:02 PM
jnguyen87
Lead Lap

thats why i said i have no idea why anyone would do this. pointless.
Old 08-19-11, 12:16 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Oh hell yeah, I have installed the ML nav unit into my cousins car. IT WORKS. THE ML WORKS even without the optical cable leading to the back!

I dont think there is a digital audio cable leading to THe decoder is in the Navi unit.

THe cables circled in red is the digital audi cable!

BTW, ML unit is no longer for sale!
i guess the red circle on the top is GPS receiver. Someone correct me if i was wrong.
Old 03-17-15, 12:29 AM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the non ML navi in my 07 is350. I purchased a ML head unit from eBay and it plugged right in but I noticed when I hit the CD-AUX button it stays on CD and doesn't seem to go to AUX. I even tried plugging in my phone in to the headphone jack and nothing. So it seems that the ML head unit plugs right in but you will loose the AUX function..
Old 03-18-15, 03:56 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by isfdude
I have the non ML navi in my 07 is350. I purchased a ML head unit from eBay and it plugged right in but I noticed when I hit the CD-AUX button it stays on CD and doesn't seem to go to AUX. I even tried plugging in my phone in to the headphone jack and nothing. So it seems that the ML head unit plugs right in but you will loose the AUX function..
It works but you have to splice some wires. I did the swap a long time ago so i cant recall which those are, but there's a thread about it which explains everything that needs to be done.
Old 03-19-15, 01:03 AM
soloist3
Driver

I think the big question is, if you swap the ML DVD changer in to a non-ML system, using the harness that provides video to the nav console (both non-ML and ML seem to both have this), can you obtain DVD playback abilities? I specifically DID NOT want a "surround sound" system in my car...I hate extra DSP processing in my sound sources, but always thought it would be nice to play DVD's, mostly the audio, while on longer trips
Old 06-10-17, 07:52 AM
heliskiier
Driver School Candidate

Question 2007/2008 is350 ml head unit oem

Hi,

First post. Here's what I need. I'm looking at picking up a 2007 IS350. It has the ML with Nav, but the sound doesn't work and I know for sure it's the HU. Getting a super $9900 deal on the ride because it has a couple of dings and dead stereo. This is a killer deal for an 80k mile car that's mechanically clean as you all know. I want to buy this car, but I need to know what model and how much a new HU costs. Can I just get the stereo HU or do I need the full stereo/Nav unit? Anyone know the cost for OEM? Can I get a functional used one and just plug it in. Is the job difficult either way?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Head unit WORKS, without ML amp