IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack Alternative - Hybrid Nav DVD

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-10, 09:57 AM
AznJason
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
That usually means you did not properly burn the DVD. Make sure you set booktype to "DVD-ROM". If you do not, it will give you the "please consult to a dealer" message along with the Japanese characters.

Also try using Verbatim media, and burn at 1X or 2X. But booktype to "DVD-ROM" is the most critical, it will NOT work without this.
I've done the booktyping on the Hybrid DVD, burnt at 2.4x (that's the speed it burns my Verbatim's at). The odd thing is, it won't even accept the pressed U30 v5.1 Lexus Nav DVD. There's no issue with '08s using the older firmware right?
Old 07-29-10, 08:59 PM
skingsland
Driver

Question

OK, I've been working on this for a while, but I can't figure out how to change the book type to DVD-ROM. I'm thinking someone else must have run into this issue??

I have a ~1.5 year old Dell XPS 1530 laptop; a fairly common model, I think. It has an "Optiarc AD-7640A" DVD burner, which I understand uses the NEC "instruction set". I've tried using ImgBurn (the best and most advanced free burning software, from what I can tell), and several other programs, but I have not been able to change the book type / bitsetting to "DVD-ROM". (See attached screenshot - looks like my burner doesn't even support DVD-ROM??)

As I understand it, if you don't explicitly set this, it will default based on the type of media you're using. So if I burn onto a DVD+R DL, the book type is going to be something like "DVD+R", which the nav drive in my '06 IS 350 won't be able to read.

So -- has anyone with a late model Dell laptop (or anyone with an Optiarc burner) had any luck with this? I've assembled all the files I need on my hard drive, I've gotten the DL media, I've got a decent DVD burner (or so I thought...), but I seem to be missing the 1 damn piece that will make it actually work!

Worst case, consider this a bump of a great thread about how to create a hybrid nav disk with the override easter egg...
Attached Thumbnails Navigation Hack Alternative - Hybrid Nav DVD-imgburn-says-no-dvd-rom.jpg  

Last edited by skingsland; 07-30-10 at 06:12 AM.
Old 07-30-10, 04:15 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AznJason
I've done the booktyping on the Hybrid DVD, burnt at 2.4x (that's the speed it burns my Verbatim's at). The odd thing is, it won't even accept the pressed U30 v5.1 Lexus Nav DVD. There's no issue with '08s using the older firmware right?
Ah, didn't see that you were also trying a factory disc. Hmmmmm. I wonder if the factory disc is defective? The only way to know for sure would be to try, yet ANOTHER factory disc.

BTW, sometimes you need to pull the fuse and try a few times, even with a factory disc as the reader is picky when loading new firmware.
Old 08-17-10, 08:03 PM
skingsland
Driver

Lightbulb Got it to work!

I never figured out what the problem was with my home Dell laptop's burner (specifically, how to change the book type), so I just used my work computer (also a Dell laptop) instead.

I used Verbatim DVD+R DL media (a 3 pack from Amazon was about $9 with free shipping) and ImgBurn (on Windows Vista). I left the "File System" to its default value of "ISO9660 + UDF" and changed the Book Type to "DVD-ROM", via Tools -> Drive -> Change Book Type. The "current setting" for book type displayed as "Unknown", but it still let me change it.

A couple last problems I ran into: the first disk burned ok, but failed in the validation phase after 11%. I looked at the disk, and it had a couple dark marks on the underside. So I tried using another disk, and that burned and validated just fine.

Also, when I put the new disk in, the nav screen said that the map data could not be read. There were no other errors on the screen, and no Japanese characters. So I just hit the eject button on screen, took the disk out, put it back in, and after about a minute it worked just fine.

I confirmed in the map DVD screen that it says nav version 09.1, so I think I'm good to go. All of My Places and other settings appear to have been retained, but I haven't done an exhaustive test yet. Also, I didn't need to pull any fuse because I was previously using an 07.1 hybrid disk with the 05.1 override file that I bought off ebay a couple of years ago.

Hopefully this info can help someone else struggling through this process; or at the very least, serve as a reminder to me when I attempt this same feat in another couple of years with the 2011 disk.
Old 09-12-10, 03:54 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just updated to 9.1

Few point for other members

I used dell 1537 laptop with Optiarc 7640S DVD burner.
DVD type: Memorex DVD+R DL

1. Use IMGBURN software (free) to burn your DVD+R DL . Best software available. No issues about typesetting and what not.

2. The two needle tools are meant to be pushed ALL the way inside and do not be scared to push. It is not meant to push button. It is actually pushing two steel tabs that keep the clock in the center console.

3. Once you are pushed all the way, pull out the tools, lightly and the clock face will come along with it. No need to pull on the hazard switch as mentioned in the instruction manual. It might help, but is not required.

4. There is no eject button. You get to the eject button by pushing the INFO -> MAP DVD option

5. Insert the new DVD and the system will load it in few seconds.

Pictures to follow shortly.
  • Navigation Hack Alternative - Hybrid Nav DVD-jkhgwl.jpgNavigation Hack Alternative - Hybrid Nav DVD-tospzl.jpg
  • Navigation Hack Alternative - Hybrid Nav DVD-7qhuql.jpg
  • Navigation Hack Alternative - Hybrid Nav DVD-bw8ebl.jpg
  • Navigation Hack Alternative - Hybrid Nav DVD-hqeesl.jpg

Last edited by chikoo; 09-12-10 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-17-10, 10:55 AM
RU514
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone tried a hybrid disc with version 10.1?
Old 10-17-10, 05:59 PM
SGMIS3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iskcon
Yes the maps will still work.
Old 12-18-10, 11:42 AM
jewel
Lead Lap

Just made my hybrid disk with ver 9.1 and 5.1 using Imgburn and verbatim dl disk. I set the booktype to dvd-rom and burned at 2.4x but I keep getting the following error:

"unable To Read Data. Check If Map Dvd Is Correct."

Gonna try again, anyone know what might be wrong?

Do we need to change the volume label to be the same as the old 5.1 disk? Old disk label is 464210-0629

Last edited by jewel; 12-18-10 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-12-11, 09:06 PM
allst4r
Lead Lap

yes my 9.1 works..... i just did it with the loading.kwi.. over ride. and i have the original 9.1 disc also...

for those of you still having problems here is the example i followed..

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...350-hybrid-v9/

its a little more detailed than the directions on here.

Last edited by allst4r; 03-13-11 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-26-11, 06:36 PM
quang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, like what SGMIS3 has said, Hybrid 10.1 map with override still works.

Originally Posted by iskcon
Old 04-09-11, 04:07 PM
viprtwo
Driver

question for anyone with a 1550 firmware. has anyone just tried burning a newer disc, but simply deleting the loading.kwi file off it? would this cause the disc to fail to load?
Old 04-27-11, 03:38 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

So after reading this thread I still don't know what the benefits of updating disks are other then roads that might not have shown up before may show up with the updated disk... That it? Or am I missing something?
Old 06-29-11, 08:59 AM
xnfsx
Pole Position

did anyone try this on a macbook with a superdrive? I dont know how to set the booktype on the mac.
Old 10-24-11, 09:15 AM
skingsland
Driver

Since the 2011 map disks are out now, seems like a good time to bump this thread.

Has anyone tried a hybrid disc with version 11.1?

Here is the list of what's changed with this year's map update:

http://www.lexusnavigation.com/pdf_d...2011144147.pdf
Old 01-01-12, 02:09 PM
SuperG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by skingsland
Since the 2011 map disks are out now, seems like a good time to bump this thread.

Has anyone tried a hybrid disc with version 11.1?

Here is the list of what's changed with this year's map update:

http://www.lexusnavigation.com/pdf_d...2011144147.pdf
Was going to try it out. Question, can someone tell me how large the Loading.kwi file is on the "old" 5.1? Also, if someone wouldn't mind, could you do a md5 sum on it and post. Thanks!

Finally, does the switching out the loading file have any impact on the software's voice recognition abilities? Thanks again.

SuperG

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack Alternative - Hybrid Nav DVD