Need help! Windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-06, 04:41 PM
Crazy Yoda
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need help! Windshield replacement

Hi all...

Two days after I got my IS350 a rock hit my wiendshield on the expressway right where the vin number is located. It hit with enough force that the rock embeded into the windshield just like a bb. I have had a 50 cent size damaged area and for the last few weeks I have fought with my insurance company over whom is going to replace my windsheld and the cost of the work.

I live in Florida so by law the insurance company must replace your damaged winshield. Now I called my Lexus dealer, Lexus of Tampa, and they refered me to their glass replacement company, Novus Glass, who told the insurance company that the replacement cost would be about $1100.00.

Now Novus glass told me that in order for the windshield to be replaced properly they use a "special" sealant, provided by Lexus, and the car needs to sit all night to dry. They also stated that the IS350 has multiple clips and other parts that are requied to replace the windshield.

Now my insurance company will only authorize a payment of $616.00 for the replacement of the windshield. This would be through "Safelite".

http://www.safelite.com/

Now Safelite is a reputable company but I questioned them on how they could do it for so cheap and the methods they would use. After about an hour on the phone I got them to use Lexus OEM glass over any other glass and they will also get the "kit" required for the car. The "kit" is all of the clips, screws etc as well as the glass sealant. Now they told me the IS350 does not have any special sealant and does not have to dry overnight.

Now I can take the $616.00 and get it done at Lexus or go with Safelite for the repair with nothing out of pocket. Now I do not mind spending the money if the repair will be better from Lexus.

So....

Has anyone had this issue before and how was the repair done?
Does the IS350 use special sealant for the glass ?

If anyone has gone through this and can offer me an opinion I would appreciate it. Also if anyone out there has a manual that shows the glass installation and could give me some insight I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks in advance for the help...I am in a real bind over this.
Old 11-14-06, 04:48 PM
CHAPIN33
Pole Position

you have the right to fix your car anywhere, the insurance will always send you to a cheaper place. You need to be stronge on them and make them fix it at lexus no matter what they try to fight untill the end but if you persist they will go to lexus.
Good luck!
Old 11-14-06, 04:53 PM
Crazy Yoda
Pole Position

I have argued for two weeks but all thy will give me is the $616 no matter what. I can get it fixed anywhere but anything over the $616 comes out of my pocket. I am thinking about calling the insurance commission about this but before i do I need more ammunition to use against the insurance company.
Old 11-14-06, 05:02 PM
CHAPIN33
Pole Position

the person in the phone is just an agent, ask him to transfer you to the head manager and tell him the your car is brand new and that you want to have the same stock parts without pulling any money out of your pocket and thats the reason you pay for insurance every month, isn't? so you can be covered in situations like this.
Old 11-14-06, 05:15 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you called your Lexus dealer and explained that you'd like to have their subcontractor perform the work, but that you are limited by your insurance to a max of $616? I'd do that before taking any other steps.

Also, does Novus use OEM glass? Just because your Lexus dealer recommends someone doesn't mean they're using original equipment parts.

You have the right to insist on OEM parts, and to choose who does the work within reason. If Safelite is doing the job for around half of what Novus is asking for the same job, I can understand why your insurance company is calling BS. Call around and get a few quotes for the job. If Safelite is near the average of your quotes, then Lexus is trying to rip you off. If all quotes are closer to the Novus number, then you have backup for your next conversation with your insurance company.

Good luck.
Old 11-14-06, 05:27 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crazy Yoda
I have argued for two weeks but all thy will give me is the $616 no matter what. I can get it fixed anywhere but anything over the $616 comes out of my pocket. I am thinking about calling the insurance commission about this but before i do I need more ammunition to use against the insurance company.
...then are you sure you are reading that State Law correctly? Sounds like your insurance company doesn't understand the law.
Old 11-14-06, 05:36 PM
Crazy Yoda
Pole Position

According to the insurance company $616 is the reasonable cost of replacement. I checked onlin and could fin no dealers in oem Lexus Glass. I am making a call to the other local dealer tomorrow to ask for whom does their glass replacement and I will get a price from them for comparision I will also call two other companies and get prices from them. I already went "up the chain" but they are so far standing firm on the $616 cost.
Old 11-14-06, 06:10 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This is similar to health insurance claims. The insurer will pay 'reasonable and customary' costs. So if you have a doctor you want to go to that charges above this amount the difference is up to you even if you think your doctor is 'better'.

You can argue all you want but unless you can demonstrate to your insurer that the correct way per LEXUS is the best way to replace the glass I don't think you are going to get anywhere. Will your Lexus dealer, or preferred installer, talk to your insurer directly to explain why it's done their way? Sometimes if the client is out of the discussion they can come to an agreement.

Last edited by Evitzee; 11-14-06 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-14-06, 06:30 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

the only difference here is the repair is dictated by law. how is it going to be a law that says you "must repair/replace" when the insurer can turn around and say "ok we must, but we are only going to pay $5...you pay the rest."

when the law works, you drive around town and nobody has a broken windshield. when the law doesn't work, some people can afford to replace their windshield and others cannnot. ymmv

last windshield i replace was in minnesota (mandated law) in about 1994, it was an acura, it was at least $800...drive in, get a replacement and a box of steaks (no joke), sign the form, drive away; and NO increase in insurance premiums.

think about finding another insurance company later because when you crash and it's not your fault or when someone hit&run your car....
Old 11-14-06, 06:33 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,080 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Here's what Lexus have to say about the adhesive:

08850-00801 Windshield Glass Adhesive Set or equivalent.

So it doesn't appear to be some magical Lexus/Toyota only glue. It's hard to imagine they would choose to do something as exotic as a custom windshield adhesive. Not impossible to believe, just hard to believe.
Old 11-14-06, 06:58 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

You may also want to try a PPG certified installer. Through experience, I learned (fortunately not the hard way) that a bad installation can can weaken the structural integrity of your roof--in a worst case situation, e.g., a rollover, the window would pop out and the roof would collapse.

The the right adhesive must be used (you have to use the same type) at the right temperature, the window must be handled properly (no bare hands--oils from the hands will weaken the bond) and the car must be allowed to cure for at least a day in a heated garage before it can be driven safely. After a fair amount of research following a shoddy installation, I discovered that PPG certifies installers who meet their standards.

Also, who is your insurer? Ask them how they know if the particular window installer is qualified?
Old 11-14-06, 07:17 PM
Crazy Yoda
Pole Position

Thanks all...

It seems that the simple truth may be that Lexus is overcharging, big surprise, and as usual the insurance company wants to get by on the cheap, another surprise. I think if the install is done at my home in my garage and I am there to supervise the installation all may be "ok".

I will check with some other installers and find out if the OEM glass is stamped with the lexus name just like it is in the factory installation (just above the vin). If the glass should be stamped and they bring out the wrong glass (no stamp..discolored...not waterproof) then I can send them packing and I will have ammo with the insurance company.

But I will fight this until the end of the week at least.

Man do I hate insurance companies...oh and by the way they are now up to the 4th week fixing my 99 RAV4. Its my "beater" car that got into an accident. This insurance company was a pain on that as well. Thanks to that accident and this windshield I am in "insurance hell" with them. I will find a new insurance company at the end of the year.

Now I have almost 4000 miles on my one month old IS350 because I cannot drive my RAV4 (126 miles for me to work and 135 for my wife...playing "Lexus" Tag). They said that would be fixed in 2 weeks but it took them that long just to cut a check to the body shop.
Old 11-14-06, 07:25 PM
intrinsic
Pole Position

I just got my windshield repaced last week because some kids on haloween decided to BB the whole neighborhood. Found out that since the car is too new nobody had aftermarket glass. Talked to safelite also and they wanted to charge me 975 because they only used oem glass. Then, I went to my homeboy at Lexus and tried to see if he could find me aftermarket glass but no go. So, he just gave me a deal on the oem glass there at the dealership for 900 (supposed to be 1200). the glass is so frekin expensive because of all the "technology" ie. sound deadening n stuff.
Old 11-14-06, 08:02 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Lexus OEM glass isn't (sadly, I really like the company) made by PPG. Its made by Aisin (a japanese supplier). Hence the expensive, it needs to be shipped over on a boat. Aisin may be opening a new US facility opening in San Antonio, I believe, to support the new Tundra plant there. But they'll only be making glass for North American built Toyotas, if they are.
Old 11-14-06, 08:34 PM
juncho
Rookie

Sorry to hear about your windshield.

I also got a crack on my IS350 after just 2 months of ownership. It was a crack about the size of 1 quarter in the middle of the windshield. I couldn't justify to myself on paying my deductible to replace the windshield so I opted to get it fixed free w/o any deductible from my insurance company.

The crack is still visible but at least the crack won't spread.

Quick Reply: Need help! Windshield replacement