IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Ever wonder if the key fob is water proof?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-06, 06:47 PM
bhaveshbp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever wonder if the key fob is water proof?

Well it is. Accidently left the key fob in my pocket and threw my pants in the wash. As soon as I realized that I had left them in my pocket I ran to the washing machine and stopped it to find my key fob completely submerged in soap and water. So I am thinking 200 bux down the drain. But I found miracuously the key still works! So I performed this experiment so you guys dont have to.
Old 10-22-06, 07:08 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

means nothing. the next person who leaves there's in the wash might lose their key fob.

there's a difference between waterproof and water resistent, i think the key fob is water resistent and i highly doubt it is waterproof.
Old 10-22-06, 07:21 PM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is just a matter of time your key fob gone short!! What you should do in the frist place is to open the key fob and take the battery out and dry the inside with a towel... Hope your key fob works!!
Old 10-22-06, 07:33 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i think someone posted that they did the same exact thing. they opened it up afterwards and noticed that the insides were sorta sealed up in plastic...
Old 10-23-06, 05:47 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Guy's I think your a bit harsh. If his key fob survived a couple of minutes in water then it is good enough for me. I’m not planing on scuba diving with it.
Old 10-23-06, 09:56 AM
SerKevin
Pole Position

Hey I agree with phatboyc, I live by the water and go boating with friends all the time. Glad to know that a quick dunk and rescque might not end up with an instantly dead key
Old 10-23-06, 11:30 AM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i spilled soda on mine,and at the same time it pooled around my blackberry, both still work which is wierd, you would thing the carbonation and such would have an adverse effect........i think that leather thing they give you is worth using.
Old 10-23-06, 11:45 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I don't know how many of you guys have taken apart a Lexus key, but at least the style of key that came with my 99 GS400... when I took it apart to replace the battery, it seemed that the outer casing would take on water pretty easily, but then there was a tightly sealed case inside of that, which held the battery and all of the electronics. The buttons are attached to that case and the area around them appears to be sealed, too, though I'll bet with enough time and submersion in water it would leak around the edges of the button unless there are seals under it as well?

I work with computers and electronics every day as a part of my job and can tell you that at least 75% of the time when electronics SEEM to be working fine after a serious encounter with water... they end up getting buggy sooner or later due to corrosion. This is caused by trace amounts of water and deposits from the water left inside on the electrical components.

Your best bet is to, as soon as the electronic item gets wet - power it down and remove the battery, then submerge it in isopropyl alcohol (aka: rubbing alcohol), agitate it a bit, and then set it out to dry for as long as is necessary to be sure it's 100% dry (though the alcohol will displace the water and dry much quicker than the water would).