IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

B-pillar blind spot??

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-06, 12:11 PM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B-pillar blind spot??

I am a long legged 6'3" guy that needs to set the drivers seat most of the way back
it will go. I have only test driven a couple of 2ISs so far and found the leg room very
good but have a concern about the position this puts the B-pillar in. Do any of you
long legged drivers find your seat position to create a bad blind spot and how do you
deal with it?
TIA
Old 08-01-06, 12:16 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a bad blind spot. I'm thinking of getting a couple of those little mini wideview mirrors.
Old 08-01-06, 12:31 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

You can go this route

http://www.lanefx.com/

or adjust your mirrors properly to nearly eliminate blind spots
Old 08-01-06, 12:48 PM
brel523
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by al503
There is a bad blind spot. I'm thinking of getting a couple of those little mini wideview mirrors.
That's exactly what I've done. I'm 6'1" and have that same issue. In my previous car I had little 2" fisheye mirrors(99 cents at walmart) that saved me from have to turn my head every single time I wanted to change lanes or just look to the left(or right) of me. Looking way behind you to the left also takes your eyes off the road in front of you for a split second also. I've put them on my brand new IS 350 two days after I got it because I couldn't stand twisting my neck all the time(I pass alot of people ). Some may think it's an eye sore especially on such a nice looking vehicle(and I'd rather not have them because of looks), but if it makes it easier for me to see beside me and save me from a potential wreck, $2 and looks is worth it to me. You can always take them off later if you don't like them also. Just my $2 worth.
Old 08-01-06, 12:53 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

There is a sizeable blind spot, although it's not a big deal for me because I ALWAYS turn my head to check my blind spot before I change lanes - I simply cannot tell you how many accidents I've avoided by employing this habit. I guess it just depends what style of driver you are - if you drive like brel523, it's gonna be a real pain in the butt (or neck ) for you.

Javier
Old 08-01-06, 01:35 PM
tonyscv
Driver

The main advantage to having rearview mirrors is to position them in such a way that it all but eliminates your blind spot. I the 2IS, this is a huge deal given the blindspot is so significant. To set your rearview mirrors ideally, vehicles in lanes on either side of you who are moving faster than you are should move seamlessly from your rearview mirror, to your outside rearview mirrors and then to your peripheral vision. This all but eliminates your blindspot and allows you to make confident lane changes using your mirrors.

Most drivers however don't have their outside rearview mirrors set this way. They instead set them so they can see a bit of their rear fenders or door handles and IMO it's not a very effective use of your mirrors because you still have to look over your shoulder every time you want to do a lane change to check your blindspot.

It's quite an adjustment to make when you set your mirrors differently than how you're used to, but once you get used to having your mirrors set to view your blind spots, you'll appreciate it a great deal.

- T
Old 08-01-06, 01:44 PM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

I am kind of spoiled in this respect as I have been driving a 99 Solara (2dr coupe)
which has almost no B-pillar and very little side blind spots so I have been able to
rely on a slight turn of my head for lane checks. I think Tony's suggestion coupled
with the large size of the side mirrors will probably be something I can adjust too.
I wish the IS was available in a coupe but I just can't wait another two years and I
can't stand the interior of the BMW.
This forum is a GREAT resource.
Thanks!
Old 08-01-06, 01:55 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tonyscv
The main advantage to having rearview mirrors is to position them in such a way that it all but eliminates your blind spot. I the 2IS, this is a huge deal given the blindspot is so significant. To set your rearview mirrors ideally, vehicles in lanes on either side of you who are moving faster than you are should move seamlessly from your rearview mirror, to your outside rearview mirrors and then to your peripheral vision. This all but eliminates your blindspot and allows you to make confident lane changes using your mirrors.
I'm one of the many that doesn't have their side mirrors adjusted 'properly.' I seem to need the side of my car ever so slightly in the mirror to have that reference point for some reason. I guess it might be the fear that I might be seeing a car in the next lane over instead of the lane right next to me. Therefore, I gotta rely on the $2 fix.
Old 08-01-06, 06:33 PM
aalexychic
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by conekiller
You can go this route

http://www.lanefx.com/

or adjust your mirrors properly to nearly eliminate blind spots
I actually have the lanefx system you mentioned on my 2004 ES330. I used to have it on my IS300 and it works great! It even gave me that great tilt down feature that my old IS didn't have. They call it parkfx.
Old 08-02-06, 09:05 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Besides properly adjusting mirrors to cover blind spots, it would be nice to have the fender mirrors they use in Asia.
Old 08-02-06, 09:22 AM
aalexychic
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Originally Posted by clubfoot
Besides properly adjusting mirrors to cover blind spots, it would be nice to have the fender mirrors they use in Asia.
I have never heard of fender mirrors. How do they work? For once I thought I had the newest and greatest tech toy before everyone else. I was just glad that I finally had something new and techy that you guys were talking about.
Old 08-02-06, 09:46 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by aalexychic
I have never heard of fender mirrors. How do they work? For once I thought I had the newest and greatest tech toy before everyone else. I was just glad that I finally had something new and techy that you guys were talking about.
The rear view mirrors are actually attached to the fenders about ~3 feet in front of the driver. This eliminates the blindspot but it ruins the lines of the car.