IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Official 2nd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-11, 05:46 PM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i got 3M black chrome. very chameleon like. invested quite a lot of time researching types. overall, i am extremely happy. Black chrome is a metallic tint that has a nice reflective hue to it during times of overcast. without natural lighting, it looks like regular tint. i love it. very similar to huper optik, but for less.

and yes, polarized sunglasses give you a blotchy/wavy pattern when looking through 3M black chrome, huper optik, and other slightly metallic brands. i thought i was tripping when i upgraded to polarized sunglasses a month after applying metallic tint to the lex

overcast - metallic mirror

shade + light - nice reflections

darker setting - looks like normal tint

Last edited by ThermonMer; 07-21-11 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-21-11, 08:58 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ThermonMer
and yes, polarized sunglasses give you a blotchy/wavy pattern when looking through 3M black chrome, huper optik, and other slightly metallic brands.
I'm wondering if the details of the wavy pattern would differ with manufacturers and somehow uniquely identify the tint? Sort of like tire tread or a shoe pattern, I'm thinking of something like the difference in the width between the waves, the "phase" of the waves (comparing the waves to analog signal waveforms for example if you know what I mean by phase).
Old 07-21-11, 11:10 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by IS300_white
Be careful ...not all IS250/IS350 have factory glass with UV protection.

From what I understand all models from 2010 and above will have glass with UV protection from the factory.

However, not all models from 2006 to 2009 have factory glass with UV protection.
I know this is an old post, but that statement makes no sense. Why would lexus offer two different types of glass non uv and uv coated? All Lexus glass for 2nd gen IS are UV coated glass. The side glass is made by AGC Corp (asahi) and the front glass both rain sensor and non-rain sensor type are made by Nippon Safety. Sounds like something an uneducated dealership salesperson would say.
Old 07-23-11, 11:38 PM
Alantjai
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
My biggest reasons for not getting tint are because I find it gets scratched over time, I can't install it on my front windows without getting a ticket, and I don't want some random person installing it on my car. I've had tint before, and on my last 2 cars I did not have it, and I am much happier without the tint.

As for UV rays, etc. the factory glass already has quite a bit of UV protection:

Plus I opted out of leather in favour of Cellensia microfibre cloth anyways.

Jeff
The rear doorwindows and rear window should have a little bit more tint than the frontdoor windows..... at least that's how mine is...
Old 07-24-11, 01:08 PM
HaveBlue
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently got Solarguard UP all around. 30% in the rear and 75% up front. UP has some IR blocking capability like 3M Crystaline so 75% still does quite a bit for heat.
Old 07-24-11, 07:01 PM
Zoli007
Driver School Candidate

Those of you that have Huper optik ceramic tint, do you find its worth the cost over regular tint? I have not gotten so far as to find a local installer yet but I've always heard about it and have heard good things. I prefer a darker tint, 30-25% but I've read the HO ceramic has better than normal heat reflective properties which would be a very nice thing here in south FL.

Also, anyone had any tint work done at JM lexus in Coconut creek? Curious what brands they offer and how much they want.
Old 07-24-11, 08:17 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Zoli007
Those of you that have Huper optik ceramic tint, do you find its worth the cost over regular tint? I have not gotten so far as to find a local installer yet but I've always heard about it and have heard good things. I prefer a darker tint, 30-25% but I've read the HO ceramic has better than normal heat reflective properties which would be a very nice thing here in south FL.
I can't compare Huper Optik to regular tint but with some web searching you should be able to find some non-biased test results. The claims are true, and I've never seen any company debate the UV blocking and heat reduction ability of HO film, because with simple testing it's easy enough to prove (put HO on a glass container and put cheaper film on another, put into hot sunny conditions and measure temperature of each). The other plus of ceramic tint is that it cannot interfere with electronics like metal tints can (not saying they always will, but they can). The minus is that HO is expensive tint. Worth it, IMO.

You can definately feel the difference the tint gets you on a hot day when my car is in the sun. Put your hand on the dash where the sun is going straight throught the windshield. Now put it on the black interior next to the window where the sun has been trying to pass through the tint... huge difference in temperature. And yes, even though sun is still coming through the winshield, the overall temp of the car is dramatically reduced by tinting the other windows on a hot day.

There is a reason high-rise office buildings in very hot climate put Huper on their windows.
Old 07-24-11, 09:46 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Wow... Alot of you still ride around in what I call a fish bowl.
I'm on my mobile, so ill upload pics 2morrow.
I have limo all around except front windshield. It has 20%
3m color stable ceramic.
$250 installed
Old 07-25-11, 05:58 PM
Nelly
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Quick question. For all of you who got tints...do you know if the installers removed your door panels prior to applying the tints? I'm kind iffy about having my new car's panels taken off >_>;
Old 07-25-11, 08:01 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by InspireME
Quick question. For all of you who got tints...do you know if the installers removed your door panels prior to applying the tints? I'm kind iffy about having my new car's panels taken off >_>;
Yeap, but I removed them myself
Old 07-25-11, 09:24 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope, they should only need to remove the plastic trim pieces inside the bottom of the windows if anything.
Old 07-26-11, 08:15 PM
ajlexus11
Driver School Candidate

35% all around...should have gone with 20%....
Attached Thumbnails Official 2nd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!-img_2437.jpg  
Old 07-26-11, 10:07 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

In my case, yes they did. Its why it needed to be left at the dealer all day (they gave me a loaner). They were not going to risk scratching things up on a car they had just sold me.
Old 08-02-11, 02:04 PM
Chow
Pit Crew

Anyone know anything about Bio Window Film? This is the ceramic brand that a local company is using.
Old 08-03-11, 12:19 PM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

35% Johnson film
Name:  Tint.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  161.5 KB

Quick Reply: Official 2nd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!