IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Adding sub and amp to stock deck

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-06, 08:31 PM
SILes300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding sub and amp to stock deck

Hi, I've done some searching and it seems that I can use an RCA converter to pull the signal from the deck. But I should tap into these wires before they go into the amplifier, or I could be melting my converter. Has anyone had any experience with this and can I get some pointers on which color wires to tap into? Also, what gauge size for the power wire do you recommend since space might be limited in the firewall?

If I've repeated some questions that can be found easily, I apologize.

Thanks
Old 05-22-06, 02:26 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Look into the JL Audio equipment for adding stuff to a stock set up....... JLaudio.com
Old 05-22-06, 02:28 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

A better URL:

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...php?page_id=94
Old 05-22-06, 02:37 AM
james6290
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with rockford fosgate, my experiance with JL is not that good, i don't think their products live up to their name/reputation....rockford is a high quality product that is hard to mess up, even if you don't really know how to deal with it...here is their converter, it just came out and it is supposed to be great from what i have heard.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...s.asp?cat_id=1
Old 05-22-06, 03:26 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with you.........I run RF amps, and have for at least 10 years. Never run their subs or other equipment, but I'm sure the higher end stuff is top notch......
Old 05-22-06, 07:18 AM
SILes300
Driver

Thank you for your opinions. Have you guys used these setups from RF? If so, which wires should I tap into? I have a sub and amp sitting in my garage from my previous car that I'd love to use again!
Old 05-22-06, 07:33 AM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been doing car audio since 1991as a hobby and professionally on many occations. I've used many brands over the years including JL Audio and Rockford Fosgate in my personal cars. JL and RF are both excellent brands. The key to any brand living up to their expectations is in the installation. No matter how good the brand is if the installation is done incorrectly, the performance will suffer.

JL Audio "Slash" series of amps (250/1, 1000/1, 300/4, ect..) will allow the amplified speaker wires of a factory system be connected directly to the amplifier's RCA inputs, bypassing the need for and line level convertor. The Slash amps also automatically turn on when it detects and audio signal, deleting the need for a turn on wire from the factory system.

Read this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=basslink and do a search on my username "cmusic". I've written alot about the base audio system in the IS.
Old 05-22-06, 08:03 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Dont know much about DSP but cant he just use LOC (Line out converter)?
When I worked on sub and amp before, I remember I used LOC and tap +&- cable from factory sub and connect into the LOC. used the quality RCA from LOC to your amp...
I guess I'm just newb on audio system, so ignore me if I say wrong.

SILes300, if you can, take some pictures and write up HOWTO install sub & amp. I'm sure this will help many of us

GOOD LUCK on your project.

TAKA
Old 05-22-06, 08:27 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

When I was researching this for an audio install on my G, I was told that using a line out converter (LOC)might help with the sound quality. You can hook the LOC after the stock amp. Which wires in the IS? Can't help you there.

I'm a big fan of the Slash series of amps. They are expensive but the quality is great. They are also underrated in power. I have had the 450/4 and 500/1 bench tested and they were about 20% higher than the advertised ratings.

I've also had experience with RF and Kenwood amps. All of them are good. Install is the key, as mentioned above.

In terms of the power wire gauge: 300 watts and below, 8 gauge will do just fine. Above that, 4 gauge should power just about anything up to 1000-1200 watts.
Old 05-22-06, 03:50 PM
SILes300
Driver

Thank you everyone. I will try and get this started!
Old 05-22-06, 04:48 PM
sanwong
Driver

Default my install

I am knee deep in the middle of my audio installation on my 06 IS 350.....A Little bit about my background.......I have been in the car audio industry for over 20 years and have owned my own car audio shop since 1992. I am currently a Jl audio authorized dealer as well as a Rockford Dealer.I have not sold that much rockford for tha past 5 years as I have found the quality to be inferior to my JL Audio line. as for my own install I am running all JL Audio with MB Quart mids and highs. I am also using an audio control LC8 for a summing device and a JL Audio Cleansweep. For amps I am using 1- 300/4 and 1 500/1 as for the mids and highs I am using 2 sets of PCE216's one for fronts and one for rear doors and another set of PCE210's for the front doors.......If I were wanting to to add just an amp and sub I would recommend a Jl slash amp w/o a loc!!!!!!!!
Old 05-22-06, 05:18 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

im putting the rockford converter in this friday so i will tell you about it. as for myself, i have been into car audio for several years, not as long as some of these others guys, but my brother, as well as my cousin are into car audio. My brother has had several systems and my cousin has had a new one everymonth, i really don't know why, but his favorite quality wise, as well as mine(hearing his) is alpine, and the best combo of noise/quality is rockford and the best sub for noise is mtx, I like rockford the best, and it gets a really good bang (no pun intended) for your buck. as for JL, im not saying they are a bad sub, but not worth the money for them, also they all have horrible warranties and customer support, rockford tends to have pretty good CS because my brother has blown several and they replaced them free of charge, if you read between the lines, JL will never warranty anything unless you keep all of the stuff it came it, and even then it is sketchy, also, some have popping sounds when they hit, and it tends to get annoying if you are looking for just a slight rumble to asist your factory system. But if you are looking to set of car alarms, it tends to be less noticable.

the thing thats helps the most when buying car audio products, is TO READ REVIEWS BY CONSUMERS LIKE YOURSELF! Its really to find some sites that have many reviews, so just do some research and you will be happy with what you get.

In summary, both JL and rockford are great companies but rockford is the best for the money in my opinion.

WOW, that took some time...
Old 05-22-06, 05:29 PM
larsdenner
Driver School Candidate

Isn't the 13th speaker in the back deck a subwoofer? I have the standard system and it sounds really good. I can't imagine the ML setup. You guys must want a really loud setup going even further, huh?
Old 05-22-06, 05:38 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by larsdenner
Isn't the 13th speaker in the back deck a subwoofer? I have the standard system and it sounds really good. I can't imagine the ML setup. You guys must want a really loud setup going even further, huh?
ML is not really about noise but quality, it might be louder, but its all about quality
Old 05-23-06, 02:48 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by SILes300
Hi, I've done some searching and it seems that I can use an RCA converter to pull the signal from the deck. But I should tap into these wires before they go into the amplifier, or I could be melting my converter. Has anyone had any experience with this and can I get some pointers on which color wires to tap into? Also, what gauge size for the power wire do you recommend since space might be limited in the firewall?

If I've repeated some questions that can be found easily, I apologize.

Thanks

i dont think you searched hard enough.. there are plenty of posts of sub installs.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hlight=install