IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Will the new ES take away from IS sales?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-06, 06:44 AM
carlmock
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will the new ES take away from IS sales?

Saw a commercial for the ES last night and it looks like a nice car. Noticed that prices are right around IS prices and it got me to thinking. Will the ES take away some of the IS demand? Lets face it, the average lexus buyer is an older person looking for luxury and the IS isnt a car for everyone with its small back seat and sporty suspension. I would think if a buyer walks in looking for a lexus and had to choose between the two, most are going to go with the ES. Am I wrong?
Old 03-16-06, 06:49 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by carlmock
Saw a commercial for the ES last night and it looks like a nice car. Noticed that prices are right around IS prices and it got me to thinking. Will the ES take away some of the IS demand? Lets face it, the average lexus buyer is an older person looking for luxury and the IS isnt a car for everyone with its small back seat and sporty suspension. I would think if a buyer walks in looking for a lexus and had to choose between the two, most are going to go with the ES. Am I wrong?
There will always be a few people swayed to the new ES. There will be a few ES owners swayed to the IS. OVerall, the 2 are too different in size and execution. ES=luxury, IS=luxury sport
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206167

Old 03-16-06, 06:59 AM
heasyrider
Rookie

I have to admit the ES may tempt me, but, I will at least need to see it in person, because I think even the IS looks much better in person. I hope the new ES is at the Ft. Lauderdale auto show that I may go to this weekend. I am 40 and I really like the IS, but, we will see.
Old 03-16-06, 07:05 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

I'm sure some people will be swayed... to me, the ES looks like any other bland Lexus. That's why I ordered the IS... which actually looks like a modern sports sedan.
Old 03-16-06, 07:07 AM
ChrisM910
Driver

i dont think so at alll its more of a family car
Old 03-16-06, 07:09 AM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Cool

I just turned in the ES330 two years early on a lease for the IS350. I'd come from an IS300. The luxurious interior of the ES was great. It was not a fun car to drive and did not have the acceleration of the IS. I've said it before it will be a great car to have when I am older and more mature If you want a nice mid priced luxury car with lots of room the ES is great. I also didn't like it because it looked too much like a Camry. Hopefully that will change with the new ES. It seems like just about every older person here in my City drives a Silver ES and that is what I had. I couldn't stand it. I like to drive a car that not everyone else has. I believe there is a clear distinction in people wanting an ES and people wanting an IS.
Old 03-16-06, 07:35 AM
heasyrider
Rookie

I just turned in the ES330 two years early on a lease for the IS350. I'd come from an IS300. The luxurious interior of the ES was great. It was not a fun car to drive and did not have the acceleration of the IS. I've said it before it will be a great car to have when I am older and more mature If you want a nice mid priced luxury car with lots of room the ES is great. I also didn't like it because it looked too much like a Camry. Hopefully that will change with the new ES. It seems like just about every older person here in my City drives a Silver ES and that is what I had. I couldn't stand it. I like to drive a car that not everyone else has. I believe there is a clear distinction in people wanting an ES and people wanting an IS.

Hey, is4me2, I am curious, Is it difficult and/or costly to turn in a lease that early? Is it easier because it is the same make/dealership? I may be in a similar situation in the future, but, I do not know the first thing about this subject.

Thanks
Old 03-16-06, 07:45 AM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Cool

No, its easy to turn in leases early. When it is close to your lease being up it is usually a wash and they don't make you pay anything. I've done it twice before but always at Lexus. Since I still had two years left it on this lease it cost me about $2,000. It depends what the payoff is on the car and what the dealer will give you for the car. You have to negotiate that too. I'm done with leasing at this point.
Old 03-16-06, 07:49 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never understood why Lexus persist with the ES. It was only ever a thinly disguised Camry brought out when Lexus was launched in the US to make it appear the company had a bigger range than it did and all the money had been spent on the LS400. 17 years later it's still front wheel drive and is still a Camry.
Old 03-16-06, 08:23 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
I've never understood why Lexus persist with the ES. It was only ever a thinly disguised Camry brought out when Lexus was launched in the US to make it appear the company had a bigger range than it did and all the money had been spent on the LS400. 17 years later it's still front wheel drive and is still a Camry.
And your point being? The Camry is the #1 selling car in the US. And some people do want a nicer, smoother, quieter Camry, obviously.
Old 03-16-06, 08:33 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
And your point being? The Camry is the #1 selling car in the US. And some people do want a nicer, smoother, quieter Camry, obviously.
Well just make the Camry nicer, smoother and quieter, obviously. My point is that if Lexus are going to build a brand with it's own DNA, so to speak, they have got to stop badge engineering.
Old 03-16-06, 08:41 AM
Langdell
Driver

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Exactly right. Lexus persists with the ES because they sell a lot of them. I see tons of them around. And they are nice cars for that market segment.

To the OP: I think the answer to your question is in the question itself. Those buyers who fit the ES profile, if you will, and who walk into a Lexus dealership looking for that kind of Lexus are more likely to drive out with an ES than an IS. In general, I think the cars appeal to buyers with different wants/needs--IS: smaller, sportier; ES: roomier, more family-oriented. I would guess, for example, that many more ES buyers are women and many more IS buyers are men (especially younger men). It's pretty clear Lexus has consciously adopted a 2-pronged approach to the entry-level market--with a sport model and a non-sport model in the same price range for different buyers. If you want both sport and space, you need to go up to a GS.
Old 03-16-06, 08:43 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

The Camry and ES350 is more than just badge engineering. Badge engineering is like a Chevy Tahoe and GMC Yukon. Camry and ES350 are built on the same chassis and use the same powertrain, but the look, feel, quality are COMPLETELY different.
Old 03-16-06, 08:53 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Lexus will never ever get rid of the ES. They sell tons of them(the best selling Lexus sedan year after year). Why change the formula when you have something so successful. The ES does in fact have a very loyal fan base with those who prefer the looks and luxury of the car and obviously a lot of them don't post here cause we are a little more enthusiastic about cars.

On top of that, if you look at the graph above you can see that just about EVERY car make is going sporty with there entry level luxo cars. Lexus is the ONLY company that caters to those who want smoothness, comfort, and luxury. And quite frankly there is still a HUGE market out there for those who prefer luxury over sportiness. 70-80,000 a year for one body style, engine, tranny priced around 35K?? Do you really know how many cars that is??

With that said, there will always be a few people that will consider the ES over the IS. They are both around the same price and are both Lexus models. How can some people not consider both?? Yes the ES will steal some sales from the IS. Its inevitable. Lexus has a great thing here with the ES and IS combo.

Last edited by magneto112; 03-16-06 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-16-06, 08:55 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Come on folks... it's not hard to understand why the sheep flock to the ES. The Camry is the best selling car in the US last I checked. The ES is a nicer Camry. Perfect for the more affluent buyer who would grab a Camry if only it showcased their status a little better... enter the ES

Quick Reply: Will the new ES take away from IS sales?