IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Spoiler installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-06, 05:09 PM
Benji668
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spoiler installation

My IS will arrive by end of March, still deciding whether dealer or self install of the rear spoiler Any suggestions? Should I be concern about leaks when drilling holes if its self install?
Old 03-12-06, 07:16 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you operate a drill? I think it sounds easy enough. If i were going to add a spoiler i would buy it from www.lexus-parts.com and get the 10% off and install it my self. Probley around a 1 hour job. And will save you probley like 300 bucks. 1 hour worth of work for 300.00. Sounds like a job i would do. And i dont just mean on my car. LOL
Old 03-12-06, 07:43 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Benji668
My IS will arrive by end of March, still deciding whether dealer or self install of the rear spoiler Any suggestions? Should I be concern about leaks when drilling holes if its self install?
There's only one valid reason that I can think of to self-install a spoiler on your IS and that is "cost".
Old 03-12-06, 10:09 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kensteele
There's only one valid reason that I can think of to self-install a spoiler on your IS and that is "cost".
Thats very true for alot of people. And thats probley my reason too, but also i enjoy working on cars and enjoy " fixing up" my own cars. I also dont like dealers touching my cars.
Old 03-13-06, 02:07 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by integlikew
Thats very true for alot of people. And thats probley my reason too, but also i enjoy working on cars and enjoy " fixing up" my own cars. I also dont like dealers touching my cars.
I agree, I also enjoy doing things on my vehicles myself. At least then I know it was done properly without any shortcuts that mechanics often take.
Old 03-13-06, 02:19 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BobsGX
I agree, I also enjoy doing things on my vehicles myself. At least then I know it was done properly without any shortcuts that mechanics often take.
Yea those damn mechanics.LOL Its true tho. Alot of mechanics expessialy the dealers are payed by the job. Flag time. So if book says 1 hour they get paid 1 hour even if it takes then 15min. So if they rush and get 10 done in one day they get paid for 10 hours even tho it only took them 1/4 of the day. I dont get paid that way but if you get payed by the hour you have the boss rushin you because hes paying you by the hour and he thinks it could be done in 15min so you need to finish 15min. And get over to the next job. For mechanics its not their own vechile so its still different. Not that we try to **** up, but at home i have all day to relax a take my time on my car that im going to see everyday and going to personally feel the aftermath if i take a short cut. So i rather work on my own car cuz my mindset is going to be different then the guy at the dealer trying to rush it out, get payed and get home to work on his own personal toys.
Old 03-13-06, 02:39 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BobsGX
Ok, yes I agree working on cars used to be fun and still is for some people. I really enjoy doing things that most dealers/mechanics probably won't do...like installing a computer, etc. By shortcuts, I take it you mean instead of drilling, they just use strong sticky tape?
Old 03-13-06, 03:25 PM
Benji668
Rookie

Hmm... from what I hear so far, I guess I would install it myself.
Old 03-13-06, 03:27 PM
Benji668
Rookie

Can you operate a drill? I think it sounds easy enough. If i were going to add a spoiler i would buy it from www.lexus-parts.com and get the 10% off and install it my self. Probley around a 1 hour job. And will save you probley like 300 bucks. 1 hour worth of work for 300.00. Sounds like a job i would do. And i dont just mean on my car. LOL
How do you get 10% off?
Old 03-13-06, 04:18 PM
keeeeez
Pole Position

I was asking my brother if WE should self install it. In the military that's what he did, drilled into metal. He said something about the drillbit "Walking" on the paint surface, and that you need a metal punch (something like that) to make a small hole before any actual drilling. There is also some stuff that needs to come out of the trunklid before installation. It certainly can be done, but because we didn't have the punch thing, and we weren't sure about taking the stuff out of the trunklid, we're opting for a dealer install.
Old 03-13-06, 04:48 PM
tim817
Intermediate

Try here to get the spoiler for $199 : http://my.is/store/customer/product....229&cat=&page=
Old 03-13-06, 05:34 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Benji668
How do you get 10% off?
At the top of this page there is an advertise banner. Right below that there is a link says Advertisers Index. click that, go to aftermarket resellers, and Sewell Lexus / Lexus-Parts is half way down the page. Since they are a site sponser they give us 10% off. There is a discount code on the page. And now that you just did all that work heres the current discount code is “CL911M”. Just punch that in on their site in the checkout. Its 235.00-10%= 211.50 plus 9.00 shipping is 220.50 unless you live in texas or have a light blue car. Does look like the link above after shipping is 9.00 cheaper.

I think you guys can handle a self install. A punch is a 2.00 item if you dont already have one laying around. The kit tells you to puch it first then drill. Not hard at all. So maybe 225.00 max if you install it your self. How much is the dealer going to charge total?
Old 03-13-06, 07:16 PM
Benji668
Rookie

Red face

At the top of this page there is an advertise banner. Right below that there is a link says Advertisers Index. click that, go to aftermarket resellers, and Sewell Lexus / Lexus-Parts is half way down the page. Since they are a site sponser they give us 10% off. There is a discount code on the page. And now that you just did all that work heres the current discount code is “CL911M”. Just punch that in on their site in the checkout. Its 235.00-10%= 211.50 plus 9.00 shipping is 220.50 unless you live in texas or have a light blue car. Does look like the link above after shipping is 9.00 cheaper.

I think you guys can handle a self install. A punch is a 2.00 item if you dont already have one laying around. The kit tells you to puch it first then drill. Not hard at all. So maybe 225.00 max if you install it your self. How much is the dealer going to charge total?
Have not ask any dealer, but figure it will be expensive plus labor. BTW, thankyou for showing the steps
Old 03-14-06, 10:15 AM
jettie1767
Pole Position

Dealer charged me $515 for the spoiler, labor and sales tax (6%).
Old 03-20-06, 06:25 PM
Benji668
Rookie

Unhappy

BTW, I've just ordered something Sewell Lexus online. Is it just me, but the current discount code “CL911M" is not giving me 10% off

Quick Reply: Spoiler installation