IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-06, 09:34 PM
remnant
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dilemma

I am new to this forum. I just bought a Matador Red/Black Interior IS 250 RWD w/ Premium Package for $31,454. OTD $34,245.92. I got $2,500 off MSRP.

Here is the dilemma. I originally placed a deposit with this one salesman at a different dealership in early February. He told me that the car I want would arrive sometime by the end of the February. He even told me he sees the exact car on his list and should arrive by the end of Feb. So, I waited. Oh, the deal he offered me was $2,000 off MSRP.

I called him this past Wednesday just to see whats going on and if he has any updates for me. He then told me that the Matador Red RWD that was coming in actually has Cashmere interior. That wasn't what I wanted and wasn't what he told me before.

He told me he would check with his manager and get back to me. I waited two days and he did not call me back. So, I got impatient and contacted other dealerships to see if they have the exact car I wanted in stock. I finally found a dealership that has the exact car. We talked about what I was looking for and I mentioned that I did have a deposit with another dealership. I also mentioned that they offered me $2,000 off MSRP.

Then this dealership offered me $2,500 off MSRP if I were to buy the car this weekend. They even offered to throw in trunk mats, cargo nets and wheel locks (which I don't think was part of the package). I was tired of waiting and this other salesman didn't seem to know when the car I want would come in nor did he call me back like he said he would.

Not only did I get the car I wanted. I also got a bigger discount. So, I bought the car today.

I left a message for the other salesman on his cellphone and explained to him that I bought the car from another dealership and that I would like my deposit back. (Its a refundable deposit) That was 6 hours ago and he hasn't called me back. (Than again, it is Saturday, so maybe he is out with family or friends.)

I guess I am starting to feel a little guilty. What do you guys think? Did I handle the situation correctly? Also, do I have to go back to the same salesman to get my deposit back? Or do I just contact corporate office?
Old 02-25-06, 09:45 PM
Sv.Tequila
Driver

I would have said nothing but u'll get ur money back anyways! Go back tomorrow, make sure u park ur car far away from the dealership though, I've heard of stories! OH btw where in CA did u buy it at? THANKS

Last edited by Sv.Tequila; 02-25-06 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-25-06, 09:47 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by remnant
I guess I am starting to feel a little guilty. What do you guys think? Did I handle the situation correctly? Also, do I have to go back to the same salesman to get my deposit back? Or do I just contact corporate office?
Yes you did. You pay for what you want, and you get what you pay for. You had a specific item that the first dealer could not provide, so it's o.k. to purchase your car somewhere else.

The best thing to do wait for your dealer to contact you. If you want to continue having a business relationship with them, tell them that you will continue to use their Service Department for your new car. Also, contact the Corporate Office to complement your dealer's service to you, not his inability to find your car for you. Although they did not sell the car, they will appreciate a good word from you and from Lexus Corporate.

Congratulations on your deal and I hope all turns out well with your dealer.
Old 02-25-06, 09:58 PM
remnant
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies. I bought the car at Westminster Lexus
Old 02-25-06, 10:06 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default no dillema here....

Yes you need to wait a little bit longer don't be so impatient (6 hours) to get your deposit back because you will get it back next week. But be kind about it and yes that's a good suggestion to be nice because you might have to use their service department but i hope you didn't write them a check for your deposit (you still get it back) but it's times like this when a credit card deposit means you don't have to go see them (and I wouldn't drive up in your new car so soon either but that's just me....this is a lexus dealership so you might be ok). Both you and them will completely get over the "hard feelings" by end of next week.
Old 02-25-06, 10:16 PM
remnant
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, unfortunately, I did write a check for the deposit. The dealership told me they don't take credit cards, not even for a deposit.

I'm not upset at them. I kind of feel bad for the salesman. The IS 250 is actually for my wife. I was thinking of getting the RX for myself sometime next year. So, maybe I'll tell them that not only do I plan on using their service department, I will also consider them for my next Lexus.
Old 02-25-06, 10:20 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by remnant
Thanks, unfortunately, I did write a check for the deposit. The dealership told me they don't take credit cards, not even for a deposit.

I'm not upset at them. I kind of feel bad for the salesman. The IS 250 is actually for my wife. I was thinking of getting the RX for myself sometime next year. So, maybe I'll tell them that not only do I plan on using their service department, I will also consider them for my next Lexus.
Cool. But please don't tell them you'll use their service department because then you are going to feel guilty when you go elsewhere LOL. "...consider on the next Lexus" is cool. Don't worry about business is business.