IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Nav System - Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-07, 07:12 PM
IronPhoenX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by inxexisten
well a luxury car is suppose to have all the high tech stuff built in... point of a luxury car... you never see a luxury car with just the standard and no options whatsoever...The console is also for better looks and such... the non nav looks cheap and ugly...
I think factory car navigation systems are more limited in technology and features than aftermarket ones. Factory systems generally lag in the aftermarket technology and become obsolete quicker. But I would agree that they look nicer and more integrated than the aftermarket ones.

Probably the most useful feature is the text-to-speech technology. Where the navigation system actually pronounces the street names. I don't think there's a factory navigation system out there that can do that. You would think that's a simple enough luxury feature to add to a factory system that costs over $2,000.
Old 10-26-07, 08:57 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes!!!!!
Old 10-26-07, 09:35 PM
Perfection
Lead Lap

NAV is definitely a MUST HAVE, you will regret it if you don't get it. I'd say that you should splurge and get it.
Old 10-27-07, 10:56 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IronPhoenX
Probably the most useful feature is the text-to-speech technology. Where the navigation system actually pronounces the street names. I don't think there's a factory navigation system out there that can do that. You would think that's a simple enough luxury feature to add to a factory system that costs over $2,000.
Sorry, you’re incorrect on that one. All the new Infiniti navs have that feature. My new G37 not only pronounces street names, but usually gets them right. It’s actually funny when it gets one wrong, e.g., in my neighborhood it pronounces “Reseda” street as “Raseda.” But it's quite useful when it says "turn right on Balboa ahead" instead of "right turn ahead."
Old 10-27-07, 11:07 AM
BlackGhost
Lexus Test Driver

It worth it,,get the Nav ML,its the most perfect complete kit you can ever get,,,I remeber when i was looking for a car before buying the is350,i was comparing the Navs and screen in different rides like benz,bmw,acura,audi. none of them really has the quality,easy to use,color and almost playing all your musics and movies no matter what they are as well as the lexus Nav ML.

I have also S350 2006 benz,,and I hate the Nav and the screen it has,its really hard to use and no touch screen,and many other things.

so long story short go with the Nav ML ,an less ofcourse u r planning to get after market Nav and DVD player, then the options are widelly open.
Old 01-01-08, 06:23 PM
dsclar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dkaplan435
The hack to open up the nav functions while the car is in motion do NOT require cutting wires.. Just click on Menu, Volume, then hit the top left corner of the nav screen, then the bottom left corner of the nav screen, then hit the top left corner of the nav screen, then the bottom left corner of the nav screen, then you'll see a new menu. Hold the override button for 5 or so seconds (you'll hear a beep). Then hit the "back button" on the top right and you are ready to go!

The NAV is great, I would not have purchased the car without it. I would have purchased an M3 if the 350 NAV system wasn't available. NAV system being the combination of navigation, rear view camera, easier to use (while driving) controls, among others.
I tried this a dozen times in my 2008 but to no avail. Am I doing something wrong or does it not work on the 2008's?
Old 01-01-08, 06:51 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The NAV as a whole package looks better obviously but if you're talking about functionality the little Garmins and Tom Tom's are better and they're easily upgradeable flashable and hackable all for less than 300 bucks and can take with you to other cars or use on foot while hiking etc. I just flashed my Garmin and now it can speak in Cantonese LOL.
Old 01-01-08, 07:09 PM
ajmtbm
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dsclar
I tried this a dozen times in my 2008 but to no avail. Am I doing something wrong or does it not work on the 2008's?
works only on 2006 model year
Old 01-01-08, 08:09 PM
dsclar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ajmtbm
works only on 2006 model year
Oh bummer,

Thanks.
Old 01-01-08, 11:28 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

worth it becuase aftermarket support is minimal. some have done it with a custom trim peice.

i have it and it works well.. especially reverse camera.
Old 01-02-08, 06:06 AM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dsclar
Oh bummer,

Thanks.
Agreed x2. There are, however, threads on how to hack the Nav system to override these restrictions. Several threads will come up with a search. So far, I've opted against...
Old 01-15-08, 08:33 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if anyone posted this ever, but their was a comparison between facotry and portable Nav's a while back. I am pro nav, but I do not have nav in my IS because I wanted silver and they had a black one on the lot. I don't regret it for price reasons, but I would love facory nav and do agree with everyone that it makes the car look much better and more expnsive with nav. Also, the voice recognition in factory navs work well. The main selling point in factory vs. portable is that most portable units are desigend to last 3-5 years whereas the factory units are designed to last 13-15, or the life of the car. Furthermore, most facotry units have a much bigger screen and you don't have to worry about theft as much as the portable units are easy to remove for those who choose to leave them suction cupped to their window. On the other side of the specturm, the Garmin Nuvi widescreen works very well and takes seconds to compute longer distances. It all comes down to prefferance, cost, and amount of driving. Factory is always going to be better.
Old 01-15-08, 10:09 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Even if the Garmin dies every 5 years and the factory nav lasts 15, that's 3 times longer... at 10 times the cost. Horrible by any math. Add in the $225 a year you save by buying Garmins $75 map updates instead of the $300 ones from Lexus- Over 15 years that's a savings of almost ANOTHER $4000 on top of the 4k I saved not getting nav.
(or only another 2k on top of 4k if you buy lexus maps from ebay or something)

Plus if you replace the garmin in 5 years you get one that does massively more than the factory nav does (you already do today by getting traffic in realtime plus all the other stuff many units can do- only thing you really give up is the backup camera)

Theft ain't much of an issue if you just put it in the console when you're not using it (the garmin friction mount works like it was designed from the factory for that flat center stack area on the dash of the ISx50)... plus it lets you take it with you in a rental car if traveling.
Old 01-15-08, 11:03 AM
Arantant
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Add in the $225 a year you save by buying Garmins $75 map updates instead of the $300 ones from Lexus- Over 15 years that's a savings of almost ANOTHER $4000 on top of the 4k I saved not getting nav.
(or only another 2k on top of 4k if you buy lexus maps from ebay or something)
I'm pretty sure that most people don't update their maps every year... the roads don't change that much, especially if you live in the city and not in developing suburbs. I'd probably replace mine when I noticed driving off into "uncharted territory."
Old 01-15-08, 01:14 PM
wawawa
Rookie

I think instead of limiting your option to NOT have a Nav, why not keep the option open? Chances are you can easily find the car with the exact options that you want with the Nav than without Nav since Nav is so common nowadays (like some people want ML but don't want Nav, I think you need to special order this kind of option). You'll have a lot more bargaining power when you are dealing on a car in stock, whether than special ordering ones.

So if you find a car in stock with the exact options that you want except it has a Nav in it, don't walk away! Try to bargain for it, you might get $1000 or even $2000 discount (so your Nav is FREE !!!) more than special ordering one without Nav and you don't have to wait 3 months for it !!!

Quick Reply: Nav System - Worth it?