IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Whoa......talk about service!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-06, 06:20 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whoa......talk about service!

I have been working several dealers on a Lux/ML IS 350 in Red and pretty much been told order it. Well, my BMW was turned in last Friday and so now we are without a car and will need to rent. 2 of the dealers tried to push me into either 350's with prem/nav or even into the 250's. I'm not having that so I said I'd wait.

I have been working Lexus Carlsbad for about a month and I made an appointment to come in on Sunday. When I got there, we went back over the cars and features and I confirmed I wanted the 350 Lux/ML. He said no problem. But all he had was a black w/silver 350 Lux/ML in stock. I said I wanted red and that was that. He said they would have to preference it on the allocations and it could be a few weeks or a month or so before they see it. Durring the conversation, I had told him about us sueing BMW and they did a buy back on our 330i, and that we are down to 1 car and would need to get into something rather quickly. Before I could even tell him that I was going to have to shop other dealers to find our color, he asked me what I wanted to drive till he got our car in.

I was like, uh.....what do you mean what do I want to drive? He said I could drive an ES 330 or an RX330 till our car arrived. So I was not curious what this was going to cost us. He said, nothing. If you buy your car from me, I'll give you a car to drive untill your gets in. No charge.

I was completely blown away...............I asked about the price of the 350 and he said they was not much movement on the price right now because the car was too hot, but he slipped in a $500 discount anyway without saying anything really.

We gave him the deposit and drove away in an ES330. Now comes the wait.......

Just wanted to share my experience with Lexus Carlsbad. The salesmans name is Waalid and he's been at the dealer for 14 years. Great guy, and soon to have a great car......
Old 02-13-06, 06:30 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well considering , he charged you about $1,000 to $1,500 more
than most ppl are paying, i'd assume that's why he gave you
the loaner, but it's still not a bad deal since your not taking
one of their "lot cars" and if you caculate what a rent a car
would have costed you...
Old 02-13-06, 06:30 AM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Now there's a smart salesman, I wonder why other people dont do this.
Old 02-13-06, 06:37 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tony1
well considering , he charged you about $1,000 to $1,500 more
than most ppl are paying, :

Not in SoCal at least.....believe me. I have been shoping about 7 dealers and none of them would budge off of retail. I would rather have taken $1500 off and carpooled to work.

Longo had the second best deal and it was $500 off as well. The rest would not come down off of retail. I even worked San Antonio Lexus and didn't get anywhere with them either. I'm sure it was because of the ML/Lux package. Carlsbad had 2 250's and 2 350's on the lot. I'm sure I could have worked a deal on those.....

But I'm more than happy to get the car I want in the color I want and pay a premium for it. Not to mention a free loaner till it get's in.....
Old 02-13-06, 07:24 AM
lexus27
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by unit74
Not in SoCal at least.....believe me. I have been shoping about 7 dealers and none of them would budge off of retail. I would rather have taken $1500 off and carpooled to work.

Longo had the second best deal and it was $500 off as well. The rest would not come down off of retail. I even worked San Antonio Lexus and didn't get anywhere with them either. I'm sure it was because of the ML/Lux package. Carlsbad had 2 250's and 2 350's on the lot. I'm sure I could have worked a deal on those.....

But I'm more than happy to get the car I want in the color I want and pay a premium for it. Not to mention a free loaner till it get's in.....
unit74,

2 months ago, Bob Baker Lexus offered me $1000 off MSRP for a special order IS350 Sport/ML.
I bet they'd go lower now.
Old 02-13-06, 07:39 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

I didn't talk to Baker....Where are they at?
Old 02-13-06, 07:40 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

The dealers at Carlsbad are notorious for being VERY expensive. Everyone I come accross says that.

I personally would of walked out even if they offered me a rental. I would of just drove an hour to Orange County and got my car there for $1500-2000+ less.
Old 02-13-06, 07:42 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You got a good deal for now. It's good to hear that they let your rent the car.

My best friend got into a car accident and she had to rent a car for two months as she looked for a new ride. The two months with supplemental insurance and taxes cost near $3k. And that was for a small economy car -- you're talking about an ES330!!! Budget Rent a Car in Beverly Hills rents out the ES330 at $99 a day. That's $3k for a month, and that's for only 100 miles allowed a day!!!
Old 02-13-06, 08:00 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
The dealers at Carlsbad are notorious for being VERY expensive. Everyone I come accross says that.

I personally would of walked out even if they offered me a rental. I would of just drove an hour to Orange County and got my car there for $1500-2000+ less.

Problem is that every place I contacted from Ontario south would not deal on the car I wanted. I don't think they were more expensive than any other place that wanted full MSRP. Heck, even longo was the same deal......and I heard that Longo was the place to go. That's why I talked to them........a lot I might ad.

But what got me was the free car. You have to factor that into the deal. I'm not making a payment on the new car yet, and I'm not being charged for the rental. And like he said, $99 a day is what it rents for. So if I end up with it for 3 weeks, that's damn near $2100 worth of rental time. So make that a $2600 discount as of right now........

Works for me....
Old 02-13-06, 08:03 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

NICE! congrats!

Dont worry about the price. I think it's a good price, considering that there were no car with ML/Navi package when i was shooping for my car. I would have gladly paid MSRP if i could find what i wanted. It's all about what you like and what you enjoy. 200 or 300$ wont make any difference.

You will love the car!
Old 02-13-06, 08:25 AM
dfw350
Lead Lap

Dont think about the price and the negative comments, as long as you feel you got a good deal, thats all that matters.
THERE WILL ALWAYS BE SOMEONE WHO GOT A BETTER DEAL.
Congrats on your new car and the loaner.
Old 02-13-06, 09:47 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
good luck with finding what the OP wanted in stock, Lux package with ML only Matador Red, not everyones fortunate
Old 02-13-06, 10:49 AM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You got a good deal, only if you think you got a good deal. Don't let anyone bug you saying that you didn't get a good deal. MANY of us paid MSRP. Someone is always going to be able to get/claim a better deal than you did. Congrats! You're going to love it.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 02-13-06, 12:39 PM
pearl85
Driver School Candidate

Default Broker

This is exactly why I use an auto broker to do all the leg work. They typically get the best deal and can shop in the entire wester united states. You still end up ahead.
Old 02-13-06, 01:14 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Carlsbad did you a favor....

as that is not a typical dealer perk. I wish our dealership could extend such a service. Our service loaners are in constant use and not available for long term situations such as yours. As you said the value of a rental can be quite high. It also shows the goodwill and sales acumen of that Sales Consultant. I have been with Lexus for nine years and I'm impressed. He anticipated your needs and solved your problem quickly. You are fortunate to have come across Waalid.
I checked and there aren't any matador red IS350's with your options on the ground in California. There are some in Portland and Seattle. You didn't specify interior but some are Black and some Cashmere.

Enjoy your IS350.

Rock

Quick Reply: Whoa......talk about service!