IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Microfiber towels can scratch your IS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-06, 12:17 PM
LSUFanMan
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Microfiber towels can scratch your IS?

I was talking to Zaino today about some product uses. They (Sal?) stated that microfiber towels will scratch a black car? Zaino recommended only 100% cotton towels be used.

What is your experience using microfiber towels on your IS or any other car? Would black be particularly suscetible to being scratched by a microfiber towel? (I've been using Cobra microfiber towels on my ES300 and have not noticed any new scratches. )

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 02-02-06, 01:01 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LSUFanMan
I was talking to Zaino today about some product uses. They (Sal?) stated that microfiber towels will scratch a black car? Zaino recommended only 100% cotton towels be used.

What is your experience using microfiber towels on your IS or any other car? Would black be particularly suscetible to being scratched by a microfiber towel? (I've been using Cobra microfiber towels on my ES300 and have not noticed any new scratches. )

Thanks in advance for your input.

I think a light wind can scratch a black car...
Old 02-02-06, 01:04 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This was a real concern with me a year or so ago. With some fear and nervousness I tried microfiber towels on my black car. I tried 100% cotton on one side of the hood and microfiber on the other. Both did well but perhaps the micro side was a bit better. I called Meguiars (since they sell both) and we had a good chat. They comped me a couple of their microfiber cloths (I was purchasing a bunch of other stuff) and I have been hooked ever since.

I do think that the question of which to use is purely a personal decision and one can get spectacular results with either. There seem to be so many variables. Do an experiment like I did and see what you think.
Old 02-02-06, 02:01 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexustom
This was a real concern with me a year or so ago. With some fear and nervousness I tried microfiber towels on my black car. I tried 100% cotton on one side of the hood and microfiber on the other. Both did well but perhaps the micro side was a bit better. I called Meguiars (since they sell both) and we had a good chat. They comped me a couple of their microfiber cloths (I was purchasing a bunch of other stuff) and I have been hooked ever since.

I do think that the question of which to use is purely a personal decision and one can get spectacular results with either. There seem to be so many variables. Do an experiment like I did and see what you think.
There is a misconception of what can scratch a car. Materials like microfiber or California duster are soft and do not scratch the car in anf of itself. However, if you don't keep the cloth clean with frequent rinsing, the dirt and sand that get trapped in the cloth certainly can scratch the car.