IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

NANO connection to my Aux. jack??

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-05, 07:47 PM
Black350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NANO connection to my Aux. jack??

Anybody here have the Ipod Nano connected to their Aux. jack (MP3 jack in armrest) ? I need the cable to make the connection. My wife got me the Monster cable 1/8" from Best Buy, but it's freakin 7 ft. long WTF ! i need a short cable 1-2' at the most. But cant find one??? Anybody with info. , Thanks!
Old 12-28-05, 07:50 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black350
Anybody here have the Ipod Nano connected to their Aux. jack (MP3 jack in armrest) ? I need the cable to make the connection. My wife got me the Monster cable 1/8" from Best Buy, but it's freakin 7 ft. long WTF ! i need a short cable 1-2' at the most. But cant find one??? Anybody with info. , Thanks!
Yes, my nano is connected and with a short cable less than 6 inches, but i don't know where i found this cable, seems to me it came with my Altec Lansing inMotion.

with all the crap stuffed into that small compartment, you're going to need as short as possible, if you have time to spare, i suggest you pick exactly the cable you want for <$1 off ebay.
Old 12-28-05, 08:04 PM
mofogasm
Pole Position

i use this cable. It sounds a lot better then a cable plugged into your mini jack port. A LOT better
Old 12-28-05, 08:09 PM
UpAndOver
Driver School Candidate

Default Short cable for Aux input.

Have you tried Radio Shack?
Search for catalog #42-2497. It is $4.29 and 12" long with two male ends, one to plug into the earphone connection on the Nano and the other into the AUX of your Lexus. They may have shorter cables but there search engine wasn't the best.
Old 12-28-05, 08:34 PM
heyheyhey
Rookie

i got a monster cable too but mine is alot shorter. Its a good cable though... i think, because i herd others complaining about a rough noise from their connections but the monster cable connection actually sounds really good. I hooked up a laptop to it and tried out a DVD. and it sounds amazing... even on a stock non-ml system.
Old 12-28-05, 09:20 PM
mofogasm
Pole Position

forgot the link,

http://store.sik.com/merchant.mv?Scr...ry_Code=CABLES
Old 12-28-05, 09:58 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mofogasm

so does that charge your ipod, too?
Old 12-28-05, 10:52 PM
cooney
Rookie

Originally Posted by kensteele
It doesn't look as if that one has a power connection to charge the iPod.

The Belkin Auto Kit for iPod w/ Dock Connector pictured below includes a power connection, audio output from the dock connector (as mofogasm and others say, this will give better audio quality than using the headphone jack) and an amplifier with volume control, so you can set the level to match the in-dash CD player.

Still need a (short) cable to connect the Belkin's audio output to the AUX input (1/8" mini jacks on both ends).

Reports in an earlier thread here said that this unit works very well, but that one may also need an isolator to reduce noise.

More info about the Belkin unit is here on their website.

List price is $40, but coupon code 12345 brings it down to $24.

Old 12-28-05, 10:59 PM
mofogasm
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kensteele
you can get a firewire car charger that plugs into the other line on the ram din. I only like charging my ipod when it needs to be charged.
Old 12-29-05, 04:37 AM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mofogasm
you can get a firewire car charger that plugs into the other line on the ram din. I only like charging my ipod when it needs to be charged.

that is how it should be...you should not charge your ipod unless it needs too..nor should u leave it pluged in for an extended amount of time...this is bc charging a battery decreases the ability of the cells to hold electricity..so your battery will not last as long in the future....this is the same for any rechageable batteries..(cell phones..laptops..etc).
Old 12-29-05, 06:26 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 256 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by nehal51086
that is how it should be...you should not charge your ipod unless it needs too..nor should u leave it pluged in for an extended amount of time...this is bc charging a battery decreases the ability of the cells to hold electricity..so your battery will not last as long in the future....this is the same for any rechageable batteries..(cell phones..laptops..etc).
Bad advice. The Li-Ion batteries in an iPod (and in modern laptops and cell phones) last longer with partial, rather than full discharges. Discharging past 80% is very hard on them, and if you run them down to nothing, could even trip their safety circuit. I think you are confusing the "do's and don'ts" of the older nickel based battery technologies with the best practices for Li-Ion.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-21.htm
Old 12-29-05, 07:01 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
Bad advice. The Li-Ion batteries in an iPod (and in modern laptops and cell phones) last longer with partial, rather than full discharges. Discharging past 80% is very hard on them, and if you run them down to nothing, could even trip their safety circuit. I think you are confusing the "do's and don'ts" of the older nickel based battery technologies with the best practices for Li-Ion.

Really? Any battery technology that can't be fully discharged doesn't seem like a good technology to me. This is the best that modern science can come up with?
Old 12-29-05, 07:53 AM
terp05
Driver

Originally Posted by diablo1
Really? Any battery technology that can't be fully discharged doesn't seem like a good technology to me. This is the best that modern science can come up with?
I imagine this is the result of market research. I would like to think that more often than not people charge their batteries at regular intervals (like each night) or have a tendency to recharge when they see the battery is getting low (eg around 80% drained) rather than completely discharge the batteries frequently. Given these tendencies, it would be better to design a battery that can handle a great amount of recharges and maintain its capacity to store charge rather than a battery that should be discharged completely or else its life is significantly reduced (like the old models).

Of course these are always recommendations- I'm sure completely discharging your cell phone's Li-Ion battery won't render it useless anytime soon.
Old 12-29-05, 08:18 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon

does that mean i can charge my cell phone when ever i want
Old 12-29-05, 08:53 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 256 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by shaolin
does that mean i can charge my cell phone when ever i want
Yes. No harm in charging it nightly. The two things you want to avoid are heat (never leave your cell phone in a hot car) and deep discharges (don't let it run to the point where the phone powers itself off due to low battery).

Quick Reply: NANO connection to my Aux. jack??