Why buy the IS over the TL?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-05, 10:12 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why buy the IS over the TL?

here's my problem...........

The lexus appears to be more expensive to lease by far over the TL when using the online calculators....... We like both car's looks. But man..........the difference over the term of the lease would be significant.

Also, we don't have a close Lexus dealer, so when it comes to service, we'll have to drive at least 40 miles or so to get to a dealer. the Acura dealer is right here in town.

I have told the wife I prefer the Lexus, but she prefers the TL due to the dealership being right here. Both cars will do what we want to do with it.

Why should I buy the IS over the TL..? I needs some ammo here guys. The usual " it's a lexus" or " it's better looking" isn't gonna fly.......she is the primary driver of it, but am the weekend warrior.............

Help!
Old 12-09-05, 10:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

1) much better build quality
2) didn't say if it's 250 or 350, if 350 (from the price you mentioned), it's much faster
3) handling is much better

downside is it's more expensive and less space (from pure price point of view). but overall i would choose the IS over the TL unless i constantly have people in the back seat
Old 12-09-05, 10:51 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TL is boring and at least around here, there's one on every street, you see one every 2-3 minutes.
Old 12-09-05, 11:09 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Why buy an IS over a TL. that's a very good question. I'm actually a fan of the latest Acura TL because it is one of the most value priced vehicles in it's segment. I would still have to go with the New IS as the reasons above are exactly what I would say. The new IS is the clear cut winner for balance in both luxury and performance. Plus you have a better warranty and the rewarding Lexus ownership experience you will not get with an Acura unfortunately.
Old 12-09-05, 11:12 PM
Lexus3oi
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kensteele
TL is boring and at least around here, there's one on every street, you see one every 2-3 minutes.
As you may have heard, Lexus is planning/hoping to sell 40k IS's per year...maybe they'll be hidden away in garages so that you won't see so many so often
Old 12-09-05, 11:22 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexus3oi
As you may have heard, Lexus is planning/hoping to sell 40k IS's per year...maybe they'll be hidden away in garages so that you won't see so many so often
I've still only seen 1 or 2 on the road

After the transmission fiasco of 2002-2003, and hearing what I've heard, seeing what I've seen, I wouldn't buy a TL.

Best navigation system. Ever. Hands down.

Worst interior build quality. Ever.

Seats crack and stretch out like the early 90's Lexus's did, and this is after 20,000 miles. More rattles in it than a paint mixer.
Old 12-09-05, 11:29 PM
6MTIS250
Driver

i had a 05 TL , and i sold it
now im picked up the IS250 RWD MT
for me TL - FWD, heavy car, but handle not bad, Vtec= nothing , unlike K20( dont have the potential)
IS250 -RWD , 6-spd, handle is really good too, only thing is 2jz is better then 4GR-FSE
(4GR is the new engine on Mark X , potential still not know yet)
i also compared with G35 sedan 6MT too
G35 seem too big , but VQ35DE sure have good power( SC/ Twin turbo both good )

Last edited by 6MTIS250; 12-09-05 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-09-05, 11:30 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRupp
After the transmission fiasco of 2002-2003, and hearing what I've heard, seeing what I've seen, I wouldn't buy a TL.
The transmission problem has been fixed awhile ago. There shouldn't be any transmission problems on the newer TL.
Old 12-09-05, 11:31 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Why buy an IS over a TL. that's a very good question. I'm actually a fan of the latest Acura TL because it is one of the most value priced vehicles in it's segment. I would still have to go with the New IS as the reasons above are exactly what I would say. The new IS is the clear cut winner for balance in both luxury and performance. Plus you have a better warranty and the rewarding Lexus ownership experience you will not get with an Acura unfortunately.
And I forgot to add, RWD drivetrains are alot more fun to drive than torque steer prone high powered front wheel drives.
Old 12-10-05, 03:42 AM
shox
Pole Position

I test drove both vehicles when I had the chance. Both very solid vehicles. For the money, yes, the IS appears to be more expensive. I have a 250AWD, the price came out much more than the TL with the package I selected. But you have to look at the amount of new technolody they installed in the IS.

It's all in a matter of opinion, if you like the TL more cause it saves you money, that's your call. IS, is still worth the money you pay for it none the less.
Old 12-10-05, 05:09 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

buying an IS over TL would be analogous to buying a Tag Heur or Tissot watch over a Seiko/Citizen. They both get the job done (transporting you from A-B in luxury, with some sportiness). But the IS has much more refined material (there's been concern re the TL's dash wearing prematurely or changing color). Other than warranty-related services, Lexus can be maintained at Toyota dealership (as Acura can be at Honda dealership). Having owned a G35C, I think the premium IS has over G35 and TL is well worth it. It's silk vs cotton.
Old 12-10-05, 07:48 AM
Penforhire
Rookie

All about rear-wheel-drive to me. The TL is a value-leader but not even on my radar of desirable cars (same for the Avalon, a value-leader).
Old 12-10-05, 07:53 AM
NjDude
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by unit74
here's my problem...........

The lexus appears to be more expensive to lease by far over the TL when using the online calculators....... We like both car's looks. But man..........the difference over the term of the lease would be significant.

Also, we don't have a close Lexus dealer, so when it comes to service, we'll have to drive at least 40 miles or so to get to a dealer. the Acura dealer is right here in town.

I have told the wife I prefer the Lexus, but she prefers the TL due to the dealership being right here. Both cars will do what we want to do with it.

Why should I buy the IS over the TL..? I needs some ammo here guys. The usual " it's a lexus" or " it's better looking" isn't gonna fly.......she is the primary driver of it, but am the weekend warrior.............

Help!

You may want to log on to the Acura forums. www.acurazine.com, then look for TL discussion groups>problems: you will find hundreds thread that talk about TL quality issues, from bumber color not matching, dashboard fading after only 500 miles, to rattles all over the car....

Many people have already traded their new TLs for other cars as they were very unhappy with the quality.
Old 12-10-05, 08:49 AM
CRB
Lead Lap

I think the wife factor makes this an easy call. That and you are leasing...not buying.

Get the TL or the wife will give you the stink eye every time you get the car serviced or have to shoehorn someone into the back seat. The lease numbers for the IS will come back to reality after the "new car ether" period runs down and all the early adopters get thier full MSRP deals. BTW, if the new IS is as good as I think it is (really good) it will be even better, deal-wise and via year-to-year improvements, when that TL lease ends and the 2008's are hitting the lots.

i hope this helps.
Old 12-10-05, 09:07 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

Here's a good one:
Get the IS and promise to your wife that if anything would ever go wrong or anytime it ever needs service you will always take car of "ALL" of that yourself and she will never ever be inconvienced in any way of having to take care of the mainetenance. There's your win!!
If you want it bad enough you will drive 40 miles on your own time not her's.

For me...I could never ever buy a front wheel drive car, the fun factor would be down the tubes. Only rear drive cars for me.

Quick Reply: Why buy the IS over the TL?