IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is Park Assist included with the VN package ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-05, 09:35 AM
XKronite
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is Park Assist included with the VN package ?

I've seen conflicting info on various sites and even the local dealers are clueless.

I'm in the process of ordering the 250AWD VN + LD + HW , but I'm not sure if I also have to seperately order the PA. Being a special order I want it to be 100% correct but I also don't want to **** away $500. Conversely, if it's not included with VN, I guess I'll have to add it in.

Can someone that has VN check their sticker to see if it's a seperate cost item or if it was included in the price of the VN ???

There have been several posts about getting it or not. Does anyone that has PA and the backup camera think it's overkill? .. or are they a good pairing.

Any inisight / suggestions from owners (with or without PA) is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-08-05, 09:58 AM
MatadorIS
Pole Position

PA on the IS also doesn't have the additional sensors directly in the front of the car, only in the corners, whereas the GS has all of them. In the back, it has them all. To me, it would be important to have them in the front, especially since the backup camera covers the rear already.
Old 12-08-05, 10:40 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PA is not overkill unless you're thinking this will be used for everyday parking. We all know how to [parallel] park so PA is simpy not required.

What PA does for you is 3 things:
1.It enhanced the value of your vehicle...by however much or little.
2.It's a novelty, a gimmick...you can show off the rear camera.
3.PA looks for you when you are not looking yourself. You can't see everything behind you, and the camera doesn't see everything either. But 6 eyes (me/2, camera/1, sensors/3) are better than 2. In my previous car, I have tapped a low object while backing that I didn't see...it happens.
4.PA is good for distance parking when you are trying to gauge how closely you want to get. Of course you can get out and check for yourself, after 2 or 3 times, you're good.
5.PA stands for add'l piece of mind.

Is it worth the extra $$$? Considering the total price of the vehicle, for me....it definitely was worth it. I will check my window sticker for you.
Old 12-08-05, 10:47 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
PA is not overkill unless you're thinking this will be used for everyday parking. We all know how to [parallel] park so PA is simpy not required.

What PA does for you is 3 things:
1.It enhanced the value of your vehicle...by however much or little.
2.It's a novelty, a gimmick...you can show off the rear camera.
3.PA looks for you when you are not looking yourself. You can't see everything behind you, and the camera doesn't see everything either. But 6 eyes (me/2, camera/1, sensors/3) are better than 2. In my previous car, I have tapped a low object while backing that I didn't see...it happens.
4.PA is good for distance parking when you are trying to gauge how closely you want to get. Of course you can get out and check for yourself, after 2 or 3 times, you're good.
5.PA stands for add'l piece of mind.

Is it worth the extra $$$? Considering the total price of the vehicle, for me....it definitely was worth it. I will check my window sticker for you.
Well said.
Old 12-08-05, 11:10 AM
Cypren
Driver

Park assist is not included in the VN package if you are special ordering; it will need to be added as its own option. The confusion might be caused by the option always being bundled with the Luxury/Nav package in some regions' standard shipping models -- but the customer is paying the extra money for the option.

Just as a personal note, I got my IS350 with park assist and it's already saved me quite a bit of trouble when maneuvering into narrow parking spaces between two other cars and other such situations. (Here in SoCal, the parking spots are all seemingly sized for an anorexic S2000.) The lack of straight front-facing sensors is annoying, but the front corner sensors are well worth the price alone.
Old 12-08-05, 11:10 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XKronite
I've seen conflicting info on various sites and even the local dealers are clueless.

I'm in the process of ordering the 250AWD VN + LD + HW , but I'm not sure if I also have to seperately order the PA. Being a special order I want it to be 100% correct but I also don't want to **** away $500. Conversely, if it's not included with VN, I guess I'll have to add it in.

Can someone that has VN check their sticker to see if it's a seperate cost item or if it was included in the price of the VN ???

There have been several posts about getting it or not. Does anyone that has PA and the backup camera think it's overkill? .. or are they a good pairing.

Any inisight / suggestions from owners (with or without PA) is greatly appreciated.
PA is a stand-alone $500 option, and is separate from the backup camera of the NAV package. Is it an overkill? Depends on your individual driving requirement. Some people think having 10 air bags is superfluous--maybe, until one of them saves their lives. If you routinely parellel park or reverse in crowded areas, it's a useful safety enhancement.