Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

IS350 -vs- LS430 Purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-05, 06:25 AM
Nixsun79
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IS350 -vs- LS430 Purchase?

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new Lex. I can't seem to make up mind between a used LS430 (2004+ model) and a new IS350. Its pretty much a wash on price, I just can't decide if I want that big LS430 or the sporty IS350.

I thought I would start a thread and get some input.

Thanks guys!
Old 11-26-05, 06:37 AM
Nixsun79
Pole Position

here are some pics to help.

Old 11-26-05, 07:24 AM
GS Kid 300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big Ls
Old 11-26-05, 07:25 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

those cars might be similar in only one thing: price. It all depends on what do you want and what do you need.
Ultimate luxury or refined sports? It shouldnt be that hard of an question since they are drastically different...
Old 11-26-05, 07:30 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
those cars might be similar in only one thing: price. It all depends on what do you want and what do you need.
Ultimate luxury or refined sports? It shouldnt be that hard of an question since they are drastically different...
Spywolf nailed it.... these are two totally different cars and YOU really need to define what it is you want in a car. IMO the comparison of these two is not really useful.

Between the two I'd probably take the LS for me, assuming it came with the OEM wheels so I could swap out the wheels on the LS in the picture (not my style)

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-26-05 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-26-05, 07:42 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

two completely different animals. It all depends on what you are looking for in a car--total luxury or sporty driving. What's your age (a twenty-something looks a little dorky in an LS), family status(how many will be riding in the car regularly), perceived self-image (mature, successful career type vs enthusiastic young professional). Are you the type that settles for dowdy but excellent homemaker (though previously married and now divorced), or a hot babe fresh out of school that's more of a tight fit (no pun intended).
Old 11-26-05, 07:45 AM
izzyracer
Driver

Do it like this! If you are over 55, go get the LS
If you are under, get the IS. If you are in between, get both! LOL
Old 11-26-05, 07:49 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You are comparing global luxury to sport luxury.

The IS has sport, and it does have better gas mileage. But the LS trumps it on everything else: comfort, class, luxury, status (aka bling factor), size, technology (older tech, but definately more of it), amenities, reliability (we can only estimate/compare with the IS300), better materials, etc, etc, etc.

Don't be fooled by the freshness of a brand new car that is at the top of its class. No matter the class the IS falls into, it can never achieve the class that the LS dominates.
Old 11-26-05, 07:58 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

There are actually some very young LS430 owners in the LS forum LOL. Don't let your age be the decisive factor in making the decision, instead focus on the characteristics & attributes of both cars & decide base on your personal preference of what's more important to you, more sportiness or more comfort & refinement.

Doesn't sound like you really need the spacious backseats of the LS if you're even considering the IS. I too like both models, although personally, I would pick the IS350, I think it's the best looking sedan Lexus ever built, it's more fun to drive & a new, fresher model that will be in style for years to come.
Old 11-26-05, 08:38 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
You are comparing global luxury to sport luxury.

The IS has sport, and it does have better gas mileage. But the LS trumps it on everything else: comfort, class, luxury, status (aka bling factor), size, technology (older tech, but definately more of it), amenities, reliability (we can only estimate/compare with the IS300), better materials, etc, etc, etc.

Don't be fooled by the freshness of a brand new car that is at the top of its class. No matter the class the IS falls into, it can never achieve the class that the LS dominates.
I don't think a 2004 LS has that much more technology than the new IS, unless it was equipped with the $10k ultra comfort option; and the material is not that much better, either (unless it had the semi-aniline leather), just more of it (e.g. leather on the center console, and more wood trim). The IS just about matches the LS, feature for feature, except for things like automatic air suspension, which a sporty car can do without. Lexus has done an execellent job improving the material used in the IS's interior that it is at least at GS's level. If sedate, but extremely comfortable, driving is the priority, go with LS. In 1 year, both will be a used car; but the LS will be more of a status symbol. On the other hand, the new IS has Gen 5 NAV and true keyless start (not just a smartkey with keyless entry (if that's important to one). IS also has a more sophisticated sound system with MP3 capability (I haven't had a chance to compare the sound quality).
Old 11-26-05, 09:14 AM
Nixsun79
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Between the two I'd probably take the LS for me, assuming it came with the OEM wheels so I could swap out the wheels on the LS in the picture (not my style)
I agree those rims are hideous, I just liked the color of the LS.

Originally Posted by spwolf
The thing is I am tossed up with that question. I want the ultimate luxury, and then I want the refined sports. Its like a roller coaster for me right now.

Originally Posted by jlin101
What's your age (a twenty-something looks a little dorky in an LS), family status(how many will be riding in the car regularly), perceived self-image (mature, successful career type vs enthusiastic young professional). Are you the type that settles for dowdy but excellent homemaker (though previously married and now divorced), or a hot babe fresh out of school that's more of a tight fit (no pun intended).
I'm 26, never been married, but in a serious relationship for the past 5 years. I don't think that this question has much to do with my ultimate decision for a car. Both cars will pull chicks, lol.

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Doesn't sound like you really need the spacious backseats of the LS if you're even considering the IS. I too like both models, although personally, I would pick the IS350, I think it's the best looking sedan Lexus ever built, it's more fun to drive & a new, fresher model that will be in style for years to come.
Excellent Point

I don't think a 2004 LS has that much more technology than the new IS, unless it was equipped with the $10k ultra comfort option; and the material is not that much better, either (unless it had the semi-aniline leather), just more of it (e.g. leather on the center console, and more wood trim). The IS just about matches the LS, feature for feature, except for things like automatic air suspension, which a sporty car can do without. Lexus has done an execellent job improving the material used in the IS's interior that it is at least at GS's level. If sedate, but extremely comfortable, driving is the priority, go with LS. In 1 year, both will be a used car; but the LS will be more of a status symbol. On the other hand, the new IS has Gen 5 NAV and true keyless start (not just a smartkey with keyless entry (if that's important to one). IS also has a more sophisticated sound system with MP3 capability (I haven't had a chance to compare the sound quality).
Good points!
Old 11-26-05, 09:29 AM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

IS also has a more sophisticated sound system with MP3 capability (I haven't had a chance to compare the sound quality).
It's simply a "LINE IN" jack that connects to the headphone (or LINE OUT, if your mp3 player has it) jack. The sound quality can only be so good when being passed post-amp. Line-out are pre-amp, which lowers the noise floor... but not very many mp3 players out there have line out jacks. Granted I haven't tested it out myself, but, based off the facts, that's how I'm guessing it to be. The convenience factor is awesome though =P

I'm also trying to choose between an IS 350 ML/Navi/Sports PKG vs 2004+ LS (small sports vs ultimate luxury). It's a hard choice since the price point is about equal. But, like the main theme of the thread, it depends on your needs and wants.
Old 11-26-05, 09:55 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

LS 430 it's one of the best cars out there right now... The IS 350 though indeed would be more sportier but I would take the LS 430!
Old 11-26-05, 11:04 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That LS in the pic is not a 2004+ model, the headlights are the 2001+ version. But depends on what package it comes with as well, to see the value...NAVI a must IMHO. The Ultimate or Modern Luxe packages are good, add Custom Luxe for Dynamic Laser Cruise Control...

If you want an upgrade in size and refinement from the ES...the LS is the way to go. If you can accept the downsize in room and prioritize the sportiness, then the IS...
Old 11-26-05, 12:16 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where do people get these stupid ideas about the age you should be to drive a car? gotta be complete ignorance. I have an ultra lux LS and I really like it but what I have found is that I am getting more and more to enjoy DRIVING a car instead of just cruising which is what an LS is for. if you have highway driving to do,say more than 40 miles in a stretch you cant beat an LS. its like a private plane for short-medium travel. and yes morons will gawk at your car. yikes. the IS just seems to be so much more fun. man I know that the LS is if you care about such things the ultimate ride but what is that really worth if you enjoy other things about driving? my wife always says when I tell her how much I like the IS 'but I love this car...' . well she can enjoy her rx 330. I am pretty certain I will be getting an IS because it is an envigorating car.

Quick Reply: IS350 -vs- LS430 Purchase?