IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Pictures and a review of the 350 in the snow…

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-05, 02:16 PM
|mpulse
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by diablo1
Ya it looks like tungsten pearl with black leather. Did you get sport package? If so, you have the exact same car as me.
Twins.

I hate the pinstripe! I would take it off myself but don't want to deal with the hassle, especially considering they're driving over to pick it up on Wednesday and clean it up while they're at it.

The dealership TRIED charging me for the pinstripe ($300 riiiighhht) and the 3M Braw ($800 - hard to believe but it's on the car in the pics, just impossible to see!) but I didn't let them charge me extra on them.
Old 11-26-05, 03:41 PM
kingrach
Rookie

What color is your car? Looks like Glacier.
Old 11-26-05, 04:00 PM
Morrissey
Driver

The second day I had my IS350, it pretty much dusted with snow the same as in those pics. The performance was subpar. I had to drive in snow mode and go very slow. Although with low speeds I did OK. Much better than the 350Z I used to drive...

Is the dealer removing the pinstripe for free? My dealer charged me $100s for the pinstripe on my black IS. I didn't even want it! But the car came with it and they marked up the price of the car with the pinstripe. I wanna remove it....
Old 11-26-05, 08:03 PM
|mpulse
Rookie

Originally Posted by Morrissey
Is the dealer removing the pinstripe for free? My dealer charged me $100s for the pinstripe on my black IS. I didn't even want it! But the car came with it and they marked up the price of the car with the pinstripe. I wanna remove it....
Shame on them... or maybe you.... They added the stripe and tried telling me the car was going to be $300 more for the stripe and than $800 more for the 3M braw... NO ****ING WAY.

I explained it as: The stripe MUST be removed in order for me to buy the car - I had them put it in writing.

AND the 3M braw did nothing for me because I leased the ride. They kept saying, "but it protects the car..." and I kept saying; "That helps you more than it does me because I have not intent on keeping the vehicle. End of story. Don't mention the stripe or the braw because in my mind they are nonexistent." <--- My woman was there to verify. I did not budge at all.

....For what it's worth I have been drinking tonight.
Old 11-26-05, 09:12 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by |mpulse
I know I know.... I'm getting some good snow tires on ASAP. I just wanted to let people know how it was with the stockers. Not fun.

Oh... and the pinstripe IS being removed by the dealership.
Had the same experience coming home after picking up my car (Tungsten Pearl) from the dealer last Thursday. Could not reverse up the drive way. Installed 18" Pirelli 240 Snow Sports after I finally got it the garage. Night and day difference in the snow, very good braking, steering and quiet on the high way. Pleasantly surprised at how well the car behaves in the snow coming from an AWD Highlander. Can't wait for Spring
Attached Thumbnails -picture-002.jpg  
Old 11-27-05, 05:12 PM
|mpulse
Rookie

Originally Posted by clubfoot
Had the same experience coming home after picking up my car (Tungsten Pearl) from the dealer last Thursday. Could not reverse up the drive way. Installed 18" Pirelli 240 Snow Sports after I finally got it the garage. Night and day difference in the snow, very good braking, steering and quiet on the high way. Pleasantly surprised at how well the car behaves in the snow coming from an AWD Highlander. Can't wait for Spring
Wow... Glad to hear the upgraded tread helps out that much. Write a review to let everyone else know.
Old 11-27-05, 07:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Morrissey
The second day I had my IS350, it pretty much dusted with snow the same as in those pics. The performance was subpar. I had to drive in snow mode and go very slow. Although with low speeds I did OK. Much better than the 350Z I used to drive...

subpar to other 300hp RWD cars you have driven on wide summer tires, or subpar to 4x4 SUV on winter tires? The fact that VDIM behaves so nicely is great, someone should try disabling it and then see how it behaves :-).
Old 11-28-05, 05:34 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
subpar to other 300hp RWD cars you have driven on wide summer tires, or subpar to 4x4 SUV on winter tires? The fact that VDIM behaves so nicely is great, someone should try disabling it and then see how it behaves :-).
Closest I ever got to 300hp before was an '86 Mustang GT on Gatorbacks, did not try to drive it in the winter. But based on my previous experience with my RAV4 and Highlander both with all season M/S tires, the IS350 in SNOW mode on 18" is not bad at all. Smooth inputs is the key. Now compared to my son's '89 Celica All-Trac Turbo on Blizzaks WS-50 there is no comparison. That combination is great! To conclude,...if you're going to drive in snow BUY WINTER TIRES, AWD or not!

As far as the ride and handling compared to the stock Dunlop Sp Sport MAXXX, I will have to wait until Spring. I couldn't even back up the drive way on those things in the snow
Old 12-02-05, 04:02 PM
pita2go
Driver

nice ride.. i like it.. but i guess i won't have to deal with snow down here... wish it would snow...