IS Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-05, 05:00 PM
GIT
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool IS Test Drive

Hi all,

I had the opportunity to drive an IS350 for the first time today. I didn't get the chance to put it through its paces like I'd hoped, but I'll share my impressions anyway.

First things first: to give you an idea of what I'm referencing against, my current ride is an '04 G35 sedan w/auto.

The interior of the IS350 looked and felt superior to my G35 in every way I can think of. The materials felt a lot better (I would have just sat there and stroked the headliner for a while if I hadn't thought the sales lady would look at me like I'm an idiot). The controls seem to be laid out logically. For those who don't know, the radio and A/C controls on the G35 were never changed from the right-drive version of the car, so some things like audio power and volume control and temperature adjustment are on what some (including myself) might consider the "wrong" side.

I fit fine in the driver's seat. I'm 6'3" and weigh over 250 lbs. (I'm not saying how much over ) I certainly didn't have much room to spare, but it would be comfortable to drive daily.

Then came the drive. And some frustration. First, though, some backstory. I am 30 years old and had expressed to the sales woman that one of my main concerns was whether my daughters' (2 months and 2 years) would fit in the back seat. (They won't ) Also, the sales woman I was dealing with sold my mother a $60,000 GS430 5 days ago (this is how I met her). Suffice it to say I was obviously not a random guy off the street wanting to go for an abusive joy-ride. That's why I was a bit suprised and frustrated when I asked her if i could drive it alone and she said, "Well, we don't really do that." Hrmm? I expected, "Of course, let me grab you the keys."

Any way, once we were underway, I was a bit surprised at how light the car felt. Also light was the steering. I may be wrong, but there must be a varying level of assist and/or ratio depending on vehicle speed. I'm used to having to crank the wheel of my G35 to turn at very low speeds. In addition to feeling light (and adding to that feeling, I think), the car felt very responsive. It didn't wag its finger at me when driving slowly, but it was more than willing to pick up the pace when I wanted to. It had a lively feel that I don't have in my G35.

Unfortunately, there were no portions of the test drive that would even come close to testing the limits of the car. I would call it tooling around town with a couple of bursts of impressive acceleration. I didn't curse VDIM (or even find out what it would take to engage it), but I didn't really have any thrills, either. That's not the car's fault, though. It was a combination of a lot of traffic, no good roads nearby, and me feeling slightly uncomfortable when driving a new car with the sales person in tow.

What I did get out of it is that the IS350 is a quick, solid, high quality car that I want to drive again.

I'm hoping I can get back there this weekend and drive it alone to see if it really is the car for me. That's assuming I can convince my wife that we don't need two cars that the carseats can fit in.

Charlie
Old 11-02-05, 05:04 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

you cant fit car seats in the back? Did you try?
Old 11-02-05, 07:04 PM
GIT
6th Gear

I didn't try today because I didn't have my car at the dealership. I'm sure the one behind the passenger seat would fit fine, but with me in the driver's seat I can barely even get my fist between the back seat cushion and the back of the front seat.

I plan on trying them out this weekend to make sure.
Old 11-02-05, 07:24 PM
paeko73
Pole Position

I think the difference between test driving a car at a dealership and at a private sale is that the "sales lady" (in your case) does not care about how hard nor how much you push the test drive vehicle to its limit(s); but the private owner might. Therefore, at your next test drive at the dealership (perhaps with the same lady), don't be "uncomfortable" no more! The demo is not her car anyway! What does she have to lose if you "burn" it down? She might instead be looking at a big commission instead!!! Good luck.. and just do it!
Old 11-03-05, 05:37 AM
GIT
6th Gear

paeko,

It's not that I was afraid of being "scolded" or anything, I just don't care for dealing with salespeople in general. Whether I'm buying a car or a stereo I prefer to research and test on my own and rely on sales people for things like availability and price negotiations.

A good sales person might be another story. You know, the one that knows what brought you in and answers your questions before you ask.

That doesn't apply in this case. She knew that I currently drive a G35 and that I was planning on evaluating the IS350 as well as the 330i and she still suggested I check out the ES330 if the IS didn't work out. I realize that she works at Lexus and she has to sell what she has, but does she really expect people to cross-shop an IS350 and an ES330? I'm not knocking the ES at all, but it's certainly not the car for me. She made several other comments that showed she was out of tune with what attracted me to the IS350.

And this being my first experience at a Lexus dealership, I was shocked that my request for a solo test drive was rejected. It certainly isn't a problem at BMW and Infiniti.

On the bright side, my wife is starting to sway on the whole "must have carseats" thing. There's still hope!

Charlie
Old 11-03-05, 09:53 AM
mikeIS250
Driver School Candidate

Well, I think she was lying. When I went to my Lexus dealership the salesman just gave me the keys and I went so there was no problem there. At a Dodge dealership I insisted on being able to floor the 300C but the salesman was a little b**ch and made all sorts of excuses saying that I can get a good feel of the car by just driving the car at a steady 60 kmh on the main drag. That really irritated me. Ah well. He wouldn't have gotten the sale anyways since I would never in my life by an American car.
Old 11-03-05, 10:21 AM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

If you have a trade in turn the table on them and insist you go along on any test drive of your car as well. I've found out that they don't want that either. When I was shopping for the GX I also test drove a Yukon Denali and they insisted on coming along for the test drive. Later they came to ask for the keys to my IS so they could take it for a spin, I told them I'm going along with them and they flat out refused to let me (it's still my car). I just walked to my car and drove off, never heard from them again.
Old 11-03-05, 11:22 AM
GIT
6th Gear

Did they at least chase you out the door and try to get you to come back? I can't believe they would blow a sale before they'd let you ride in your own car. How again did car salesmen get a bad rep?
Old 11-03-05, 12:05 PM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

The accompanied test drive thing is at worst on a dealer to dealer basis and more likely on a salesperson to salesperson basis. Something made her or the GM uptight about solo test drives. I've never been to any Toyota or Lexus dealership in my area and been accompanied, from my Supra up to the IS...

Also on the note of carseats look at my previous thread
here---> https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185473

Hell, take your most cumbersome of your carseats to the dealer and slap it in there. Tell them you're not making a $40,000+ investment without making sure your basic needs are met, even if you don't NEED to have them in there it'd be nice to know if they fit. Plus I'd like to know. I'm too far from the dealer to joyride up for a carseat test.
Old 11-03-05, 01:03 PM
GIT
6th Gear

I'm going to head back down there this weekend to try out the carseat and do another test drive. I'll see if I can take a picture or two with the carseat in and post them here.
Old 11-03-05, 01:15 PM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GIT
I'm going to head back down there this weekend to try out the carseat and do another test drive. I'll see if I can take a picture or two with the carseat in and post them here.
You would officially be my hero.
Old 11-03-05, 06:42 PM
BradmanOH
Driver School Candidate

Default carseat in IS350

I have been toting aroung my 4 year old in a Costco booster seat since I got the IS350.
I have to move the passenger seat to the full forward position to avoid him kicking the back of the front seat. This isn't a show stopper since we have a minivan for doing any family trips but I would highly suggest you try out your car seat in the back to see if it is OK with you.

In my previous car (2002 BMW 330xi) I didn't have to move the front seat all the way forward. Just as a comparison point. Of course I still sold the BMW and got the IS350.

Bradman
Old 11-04-05, 11:29 AM
meta1
Driver School Candidate

Make sure you drive one with the performance package.