IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Smart Key question

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-05, 08:04 PM
hashs99
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
unless you have too. You can lever the cap on the driver's door handle at the little groove at the bottom. The plastic cap comes off but is more difficult to put back on. You press the release for the metal key on the key fob and pull the metal key out and unlock the door with it. If you have a dead car battery you will now need a jump start so pop the hood. Once you have jumpers connected put your foot on the brake and push the start button when you see the green light.

Earlier in the thread there was a question that implied that your seat and mirror positions are related to the smartkey. Not on the Lexus. That is why there is no confusion over whose key is recognized if both are present. If both smartkeys are present and one is left in the car it will not lock however....

If the smartkey's battery is low hold it right next to the start button and there should be enough residual signal to start the car.

As Wolverine stated the trunk mechanical key lock only unlocks the trunk.
which is true?? Is there a recognition or not?
Old 11-08-05, 06:44 AM
gstois
Rookie

Originally Posted by hashs99
which is true?? Is there a recognition or not?
There is recognition, if you customize the setting. I have it set on my 350.
Old 11-08-05, 07:24 AM
OUMalibu
Rookie

How does all this work with valet parking?

I suppose you can lock the glovebox and truck then take the portion of the smartkey that does the manual locking, and give the valet the rest of it?
Old 11-08-05, 07:44 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default After further review....

Originally Posted by gstois
There is recognition, if you customize the setting. I have it set on my 350.
One of the improvements on the IS ( to my ignorance ) Smartkey is that you can link the driver's seat position memory ( if equipped with power seats) to your smartkey. You hold down your seat memory button and hold down the smartkey lock (or unlock button) until you hear a beep. it's now set. Thanks Gstois for pointing that out and enjoy your IS350.

Last edited by Rockville; 11-08-05 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-08-05, 09:08 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, for valet parking, they recommend you manually lock the glove compartment and trunk, take the physical key part with you, and leave the remote control part of the key with the valet. I'm not sure how that works exactly, but I just read this in the manual yesterday.
Old 11-08-05, 09:46 AM
gstois
Rookie

Originally Posted by diablo1
Yes, for valet parking, they recommend you manually lock the glove compartment and trunk, take the physical key part with you, and leave the remote control part of the key with the valet. I'm not sure how that works exactly, but I just read this in the manual yesterday.
I've done this and it works great. Hit the trunk lockout button in the glovebox, close and lock it with the key, and give the valet the smartkey minus the traditional key insert.
Old 11-24-05, 10:00 PM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by is350
off topic, but just wondering what is this key for???

i thought the IS have no key hole?
there is a keyhole next to the door handle hidden under the plastic..and you would also need a key to lock and unlock the glove box

oops sorry..didnt realize this question was already answered

Last edited by CaThaFeR; 11-24-05 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-25-05, 07:46 AM
upbull340
Pole Position

I think the key is for the key hole that is hidden within the door handle. If you do a search you will find a thread that shows how to remove the cover to get to the key hole.
Old 11-25-05, 06:15 PM
ShooExpert
Rookie

Originally Posted by fz1
Originally Posted by kensteele
That wouldn't be practical since that would mean the key went undetected and then the car locked, it could possibly go undetected and lock when it shouldn't (as in you didn't walk away or the remote battery went dead). Besides, I like to keep my car unlocked in my garage.
Why not? That is the way the car should work. The Corvette unlocks the dorr for you when you get within a certain distance and after you get out of the car it locks the doors for you after a certain distance. That way you don't have to mess around with the fob at all.
Old 11-25-05, 06:30 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShooExpert
Why not? That is the way the car should work. The Corvette unlocks the dorr for you when you get within a certain distance and after you get out of the car it locks the doors for you after a certain distance. That way you don't have to mess around with the fob at all.
Same here. I get in and out of my IS without even touching the fob at all.
Old 11-27-05, 06:07 AM
p.k.blaauw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mkivbadger
I apologize in advance if this has already been covered, but I searched and didn't find a clear answer.

My wife and I just ordered an IS350 and she asked a question that neither I nor the Lexus salesman knew the answer:

With the Smart Key - what happens if/when the Smart Key battery dies? There is no key way in the doors. Does this mean that you have to use the auxiliary key and crawl through the trunk?

Then what? With a dead battey in the Smart Key, could you still start the car?

Thanks!
look here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...id=75494&stc=1
Old 11-27-05, 07:05 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by ShooExpert
IS should be smarter than that. It unlocks the doors only once your hand approaches the handle, not before. And only on the side where you are at.

That way, nobody can approach the vehicle from the other side and get in while you are talking to someone.

Pretty smart system, I love it.
Old 11-27-05, 01:13 PM
shox
Pole Position

The G35 (4 door) has optional smart keys as well.