IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Good in silver?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-05, 02:37 PM
Agni88
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good in silver?

Does this car look good in silver? from what im seeing it looks better in darker colors..anyone else agree/disagree?
Old 10-18-05, 02:42 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd love to get silver, but that would be my 3rd silver car in a row. And my mother drives a GS300 in Glacier Frost, so I don't really want the same color car that my mother picked out because it seemed "feminine" for her

I'm going with Smoky Granite
Old 10-18-05, 02:42 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Agni88
Does this car look good in silver? from what im seeing it looks better in darker colors..anyone else agree/disagree?
I like Glacier Frost which is a shiny silver with a blue hue. The Tungsten Pearl is too dull of a silver for me; shiny, but bland.

As for the darker colors, it hides many of the lines of the body. Lighter colors show off the car's sleek edges and curves.
Old 10-18-05, 02:59 PM
Agni88
Driver

Originally Posted by TheRupp
I'd love to get silver, but that would be my 3rd silver car in a row. And my mother drives a GS300 in Glacier Frost, so I don't really want the same color car that my mother picked out because it seemed "feminine" for her

I'm going with Smoky Granite
Yea i am thinking of getting smoky granite too, the black is just too dark for me.

BTW when are you getting your car?
Old 10-18-05, 03:05 PM
Minarets
Driver School Candidate

after seeing dark ones in person....they looks so menacing (speeling?)

looks more agressive--i like the darker colors!
Old 10-18-05, 03:08 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Agni88
Yea i am thinking of getting smoky granite too, the black is just too dark for me.

BTW when are you getting your car?
Since I currently have an ES300, I won't be trading for the IS350 until the snow's gone, so probably April/May.

Smoky Granite, black, lux package, rear spoiler.
Old 10-18-05, 03:09 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had an alpine silver 2nd gen GS and now a black 3rd gen GS. Let's just say I miss the convenience of a silver car
Old 10-18-05, 03:16 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

I don't know. It's either Glacier Frost (though I'm reluctant because it's "girly"), Tungsten Pearl (I don't really want a silver car for the 3rd time), or Smoky Granite (is it going to be hard to keep clean?).

Black interior, nothing else. Any suggestions?
Old 10-18-05, 03:25 PM
GonzoBuggs
Driver

I like Glacier Frost which is a shiny silver with a blue hue.
Have you seen Glacier Frost? I'm assuming you have, but I would hardly call it anything near silver. It's more of a dirty white with a lavender hue. I think it is one of the best colors available, though I ordered crystal white.

The Lexus web site does a horrible job representing colors. Onyx Blue looks too light and Glacier Frost looks silver. I don't even think the color samples in the brochures do the colors justice.
Old 10-18-05, 04:21 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GonzoBuggs
Have you seen Glacier Frost? I'm assuming you have, but I would hardly call it anything near silver. It's more of a dirty white with a lavender hue. I think it is one of the best colors available, though I ordered crystal white.

The Lexus web site does a horrible job representing colors. Onyx Blue looks too light and Glacier Frost looks silver. I don't even think the color samples in the brochures do the colors justice.
you are right, the website is awful. the glacier frost looks terrible in the computer generated image. i haven't ever seen it look that way. here's the scoop on glacier frost:

sunny day - looks like blizzard pearl, pretty dang close to crystal white when totally clear and sunny

dusk/sunset - looks like very light silver, a lot of speckles of white and blue bounce off

cloudy day - looks like a muted silver with very pale blue hues. not baby blue by any means, just like a muted gray.

p.s. so far glacier frost is as clean or cleaner than silver. we haven't washed ours in about a month, and co-workers still think it was recently cleaned. hides dirt very well.

here's dusk vs. 100% sun:

dusk-quite a spectrum going on:

100% sun-pretty close to crystal white
Old 10-18-05, 05:13 PM
GonzoBuggs
Driver

That is one sweet ride you have there. Thanks for posting those pics. I really like that color and would probably have gone with it if I could do it over again. I have always been a white car sort of guy so I stuck with it this time. I really like the speckles in crystal white, but I'm not sure I have seen a color as cool as Glacier Frost Mica on a car.

Your pictures do an oustanding job of showing the color.
Old 10-18-05, 07:55 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Beauty is in the eye of...

Glacier Frost looks best in bright conditions. We have a Blue Onyx and it looks like dark liquid in the showroom. On Lexus.com the Blue Onyx looks like royal blue or something. I'm not quite sure about the Green or the Gold either. I hope we don't get too many of those. Our Black Onyx IS250 lasted about 24 hours on the lot and now we have nothing to drive! Got the new brochures in today and we are giving out about one every two minutes. I need to reorder Pronto....