IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

sport suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-05, 01:45 PM
cooney
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question sport suspension?

Anyone know yet specifically what changes are made to create the "sport suspension" included in the Performance Luxury Plus package on the IS350? I read that ride height is reduced by ½", but am not sure whether that is in addition to or a consequence of the "sporty" suspension changes.

I ask because it has slowly dawned on me that the Performance Luxury Plus package for approx. $3,700 includes:
  • [*]
  • [*]
Spending 3 grand for everything beyond the 18" wheels does not seem like such a great value proposition. So maybe I should just get the wheels and go after-market for better shocks, bigger anti-roll bars, etc. if I decide I can't live without. Admittedly, I have no idea what that would cost.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Last edited by cooney; 10-13-05 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-13-05, 02:51 PM
knox_sport
Driver

Default great question!

I'm glad you asked this. I've been wondering if getting the 18" wheels alone gets the lowered sport suspension also. I'm guessing no.

Anyone know?
Old 10-13-05, 03:08 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

There are times when our own CL vendors like www.lexus-parts.com will offer the 18" aftermarket wheels and sometimes the OEM factory wheels on special. Keep an eye out or you can ask Darel at Sewell for assistance.

As for the Performance Luxury Plus package, everything you want to know spec wise can be found in the thread below:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175591

Here is just one part of the spec list...
Old 10-13-05, 03:09 PM
IS JOE
Rookie

Personally, I'd get as little posible from the factory, and get whatever else i can aftermarket. Thats what I did with my current L-Tuned stage 2 IS, and I saved something crazy like $5K

The wrench they throw into works is that everything is packaged, so you may not be able to get what you want without getting all the other stuff too.

However, the benefit of going with the factory options is that you will get waranty coverage for the parts you're modifying.
Old 10-13-05, 03:22 PM
fz1
Driver School Candidate

I'm wondering why almost all the packages include the wood trim interior? I'm not sure how it looks without it (the 2 I drove had the wood) but I persoanlly hate it....not contemporary styling to complement the rest of the car.

BTW - all of the complainers about the slow 0-60 times on the IS250 - NO WORRIES! I own a 325i and have driven the new Acura RSX and TL's and the AWD IS250 I drove was MUCH faster than all of these. My wife felt the same. I can't wait to drive the manual trans!

Last edited by fz1; 10-13-05 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-13-05, 03:22 PM
cooney
Rookie

Ryan, thanks for that. I'd surely get at least the optional 18" wheels with the IS350. What I was questioning was the value, to me, of the other items in the Performance Luxury Plus package, which I now hear being referred to as the ST Sport Package, which is certainly less of a mouthful. BTW, something I saw on the edmunds board indicates that the auto-dimming, tilt-down outside mirrors may no longer be in that package.

Joe, I'm very new to all this. What's an "L-Tuned stage 2 IS?" Specifically, what kinds of suspension mods are desirable and about what would they cost?

Thanks.
Old 10-13-05, 04:02 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by cooney
Ryan, thanks for that. I'd surely get at least the optional 18" wheels with the IS350. What I was questioning was the value, to me, of the other items in the Performance Luxury Plus package, which I now hear being referred to as the ST Sport Package, which is certainly less of a mouthful. BTW, something I saw on the edmunds board indicates that the auto-dimming, tilt-down outside mirrors may no longer be in that package.
Yeah the PLP package is a mouthful. I wish Lexus would have kept it simple and just offer a new derivative of an L-Tuned (limited edition sport package) IS.

Hmmm the deletion of those options are new to me. I will have to check with my sources on that.
Old 10-13-05, 04:59 PM
sjava
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fz1
BTW - all of the complainers about the slow 0-60 times on the IS250 - NO WORRIES! I own a 325i and have driven the new Acura RSX and TL's and the AWD IS250 I drove was MUCH faster than all of these. My wife felt the same. I can't wait to drive the manual trans!
AWD IS250 is MUCH faster than TL? Really? It's not on paper.
Old 10-13-05, 05:33 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

I still am missing the details of what makes the sport suspension a sport suspension
Old 10-13-05, 05:47 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sjava
Sounds like wishful thinking to me. The TL (even in auto form) should EASILY spank the IS250 AWD (and the IS250 RWD for that matter) in acceleration. It's not even close.
Old 10-13-05, 05:50 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS250AWD
I still am missing the details of what makes the sport suspension a sport suspension
It's stiffer than the normal suspension (resulting in less body roll in hard cornering) and lowers the car by 0.5".
Old 10-13-05, 05:53 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrock65
Sounds like wishful thinking to me. The TL (even in auto form) should EASILY spank the IS250 AWD (and the IS250 RWD for that matter) in acceleration. It's not even close.
Sometimes a car can "feel" fast without actually being fast. And in the case of IS250 AWD, it most likely can "corner faster" than other 2-wheel-drive cars just because it grips better.
Old 10-13-05, 06:00 PM
fz1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sjava
Sorry all, I meant TSX...I did not drive the TL.
Old 10-13-05, 06:04 PM
fz1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Sometimes a car can "feel" fast without actually being fast. And in the case of IS250 AWD, it most likely can "corner faster" than other 2-wheel-drive cars just because it grips better.
I'm speaking purely on a straight line acceleration from a standstill. The IS250 got off the line with much agility and without hesitation in the auto trans - unlike the TSX. That was my perception anyway...admittedly perceptions can be just that. I honestly don't think anyone would find it lacking unless they are coming from a much faster/more powerful car. I also have a GTI which is a very quick car off the line and I thought the IS250 was comparable.
Old 10-13-05, 07:01 PM
IS350spd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fz1
I'm speaking purely on a straight line acceleration from a standstill. The IS250 got off the line with much agility and without hesitation in the auto trans - unlike the TSX. That was my perception anyway...admittedly perceptions can be just that. I honestly don't think anyone would find it lacking unless they are coming from a much faster/more powerful car. I also have a GTI which is a very quick car off the line and I thought the IS250 was comparable.
The TSX has no low end torque, making it feel not as fast as RPMs have to build before it gets up and goes, plus it does not push you back in your seat at first.

Quick Reply: sport suspension?