IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus needs to reveal more info

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-05, 05:44 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Which means there's nothing more Lexus can do if you can't wait another 3 months, unless you go to the Torrance headquarter & see if you can spy on one
If you take a 3 series now, you may regret it 3 months later when you actually get to sit in the new IS.
Old 06-15-05, 06:21 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

I give credit to Lexus for keeping the street spy photos low key. I remember reading the Bimmerfest boards & waaayyy before the car hit the dealers there were soooo many spy photos from the consumers catching the car on the street & following it to snap pics & post them on the forums.

I am really suprised that none have been seen out in California or other places, testing the new IS in real time on public highways. I wanna see more real world pics.
Old 06-15-05, 06:28 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Originally Posted by enigma354
my family is looking strongly at the 3-series.

Problem is, I feel that in almost every conceivable way--those that matter to us--I feel the IS is superior. More luxury, better looks, more quiet, better controls....but without seeing in person, it's hard to convince.
I think you just answered it for yourself-you said-"my family is looking strongly at the 3-series"

Waiting is half the fun. I have always been a firm believer that doing your research carefully & taking your time is the best part about buying a car. There are so many great cars out there but if you rush your decision than you always end up thinking "what if"......later.
Old 06-15-05, 06:30 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by XanaduSC
I give credit to Lexus for keeping the street spy photos low key. I remember reading the Bimmerfest boards & waaayyy before the car hit the dealers there were soooo many spy photos from the consumers catching the car on the street & following it to snap pics & post them on the forums.

I am really suprised that none have been seen out in California or other places, testing the new IS in real time on public highways. I wanna see more real world pics.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158181
Old 06-15-05, 06:32 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Cool!!!!

thanks for the link, I really need to get outside of this forum LOL
Old 06-15-05, 09:39 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Which means there's nothing more Lexus can do if you can't wait another 3 months, unless you go to the Torrance headquarter & see if you can spy on one
If you take a 3 series now, you may regret it 3 months later when you actually get to sit in the new IS.
I agree, waiting is half the fun, but it seems this time my family isn't waiting...and it's not my car so not my decision. My parents have always adhered to a policy of having different cars, as such the mantra 'not two Lexuses' has been repeated recently. And it's hard to make a case for the IS without any supporting materials outside of the internet; I signed up for the IS info e-mail list at Lexus.com but there hasn't been a response.

Plus the specter of the first IS is clouding the decision, as the first IS was out of contention way early in the game as 'too small.' Considering how the current 3-series is not much bigger...the new IS improves in almost every measurable aspect from the previous one, giving it a strong chance of overcoming the 'too small' hurdle.

Coming with a standard touchscreen, and standard Bluetooth....amenities you have to pay extra for in other luxury cars (if they even exist)--the IS seems so incredibly desirable. But I can't push for one car easily as 'no more Lexus' is the counterargument...only sitting in an IS would change their mind.

Previously the Acura TSX was in consideration but with its poor crash test results, in particular rear collision results, the 3-series is back in contention. Ironically, my parents have been wondering, 'Why isn't there another choice?' in the entry-level, near-luxury sports sedan market., having eliminated Audi, VW, Infiniti, Subaru, M-Benz, from the list. Anyhow, the New 3-series isn't a bad car, it certainly overcame the bad impressions we had of the 'poor fit and finish' of the previous gen 3-series which we test drove last year, but its improvements create a solid but not spectacular feeling car. The interior is ok, but by no means superb. Solid, but not particularly inviting. Performance-wise good, but beyond that there's the badge and not a whole lot else. The seats are hard, much harder than Benz's, but ok. So overall I get a good impression from the BMW, but it's styling doesn't wow me in any particular way, and it's interior is ok. If we got the NAVi system, it would come with the ridiculous iDrive which our family unaminiously dislikes. So maybe a 3-series sans NAVI.

Talking to our local Lexus dealer yielded tantalizing hints about HP that I already knew, but no word on any advance information, a preview, or anything else.

Edit: but the Lexus.ca brochure idea sounds good....I'll check it out but previous Lexus.ca brochures have not been up to the mailed Lexus standards.

Last edited by encore888; 06-15-05 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-15-05, 11:47 PM
biker
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Japanese are famous for "just in time" manufacturing. I guess they're pretty good at applying that to information as well.
Old 06-16-05, 01:01 AM
Phillip31
Pole Position

WOW!.......i never saw these pics too.....dam it was posted in april
Old 06-16-05, 05:55 AM
Ratman009
Driver

Default Hmmm.. . .

Enigma,

why don't you just say, "my PARENTS are buying a new car that I will hopefully be inheriting or be given to drive on a frequent basis, and I want an IS." When you are paying, then you get to make the decisions. It's a tough world out there man.

and the seats on the E90 are some of the best out there, period. Sit in a sport package equipped 3 series and you will see what I mean. Just because the seats are not "cushy," that is not a bad thing. All scientific tests (and real world/auto racing, etc) have proven that a more firm (yet ergonomically correct) seat is actually better for driving, particularly over longer distances. Soft, cushy seats are actually bad for you.

I hope the seats in the new IS are 90% as good as the sport seats in the new 3.
Old 06-16-05, 06:04 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Yes, the seats of the new 3 series are very good, I' ve sat in them, firm & supportive, but they are just about the only thing I like about it's interior.
Old 06-16-05, 07:42 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratman009
Enigma,

why don't you just say, "my PARENTS are buying a new car that I will hopefully be inheriting or be given to drive on a frequent basis, and I want an IS." When you are paying, then you get to make the decisions. It's a tough world out there man.

and the seats on the E90 are some of the best out there, period. Sit in a sport package equipped 3 series and you will see what I mean. Just because the seats are not "cushy," that is not a bad thing. All scientific tests (and real world/auto racing, etc) have proven that a more firm (yet ergonomically correct) seat is actually better for driving, particularly over longer distances. Soft, cushy seats are actually bad for you.

I hope the seats in the new IS are 90% as good as the sport seats in the new 3.
there is an big difference between rock hard seats and soft cushy seats. Nobody makes soft and cushy anymore, but too many manufacturers make really hard seats (bmw and audi come to mind). Sure, you can get used to it, but for me it would not be an plus point.
Old 06-17-05, 08:41 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BMW leather feels terribly stiff and dry to me even when the car is brand new.
Old 06-17-05, 11:18 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Default More new IS sightings . . .

. . . on page 4 in THIS THREAD