IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Can an aftermarket key without keyless entry buttons function as a master key?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-13, 11:11 AM
Joseph22T
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can an aftermarket key without keyless entry buttons function as a master key?

My 2004 IS300 came with a single aftermarket key without the keyless entry buttons. It opens all the doors, the trunk, and the glovebox. Additionally, when inserted in the ignition, the security light immediately extinguishes. From what I've read on this board, these are the requirements of a master key. I guess my question is, despite having met all of these criteria, is it still the master key if it does not have the keyless entry buttons? In other words, is the keyless entry feature of a key also a requirement for it to be a master key?

Thanks
Old 10-02-13, 07:41 AM
VSylvestre
Driver School Candidate

We just bought a used 2004 IS300 from a Kia dealership. Our 16 year old son drained his bank account to buy this with some help from us...Once we filled out all the paperwork and went to drive it away, we realized that the ONE key that they had and gave to us was just a valet key. I thought I would go to Lowe's and have another key cut and realize that it is much more involved and costly than I thought. The dealer said that only one valet key will work at a time and we have to pay like $350 to order a new master key and then pay labor to program it. Is this the ONLY way to have a spare key? He can live without the remote lock and unlock but we really want a spare key in case this is lost. I see all this stuff on ebay and wonder what to do/buy/what will work, where to get the blank key cut, etc. I printed off directions to program a key, but need help with what to buy, where to cut, etc...Had we known... Thanks for any help you can provide!
Old 10-06-13, 09:00 AM
Joseph22T
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately Vsylvetre, without a master key, it is going to be difficult to get spare keys made for cheap. In my situation, shortly after I made my original post, I was able to verify that my key was in fact the master. Afterward, I bought an uncut key on ebay for like $15, and took it to a Lexus dealership where the guy working the key machine actually cut it for me for free. Then using the master, I was able to program my new key using some simple steps (described elsewhere on these forums). The thing about the master key is that the transponder chip inside the key housing is synced up with the vehicle's alarm system. Without the master and the corresponding chip, the car simply will not allow another key to work. It is a security feature of these vehicles, which is definitely a good thing, but when owners misplace the master keys, it makes it difficult to have additional keys made. And the $350 Lexus quoted you to get the master key remade is only the start. To actually reprogram a new master the vehicles' alarm system, you are looking at over $1,000. When I saw that price listed on these forums, I didn't believe it; then I called every single Lexus dealer in my area and confirmed it was true. And this is why owners probably decide not to get their master keys replaced when lost - it is just too damn expensive. So you can imagine how relieved I was when I confirmed I had the master key - I saved myself $1500.

Good luck.
Old 10-06-13, 09:20 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

You can get the key already cut specifically for your car through sewellparts.com. It's under $200 with the ClubLexus discount. I can't help you with that outrageous programming fee though.
Old 10-06-13, 11:36 AM
is300nj
Driver School Candidate

your going to pay alotttt anyways cuz of the programing that needs to be done