IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

fiberglass vs polyurethane

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-12, 03:01 PM
Juic
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TRD and Wald are both available from Japan land.
Old 04-09-12, 05:30 PM
Extreme Dimensions
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tonynca
Nice, but I think you guys are making all the wrong body kits. I wish there were more lip kit available in Duraflex (TRD rep, wald, etc.)
Working on it sir, I will try to bring those back into production if possible.
Old 04-09-12, 06:52 PM
tonynca
Driver

Originally Posted by Juic
TRD and Wald are both available from Japan land.
In Japan is not a viable source for those of us who are in the US.
Old 04-09-12, 07:41 PM
Juic
Rookie

In Japan is not a viable source for those of us who are in the US.
How is it not a viable source? Unless there has been a recent embargo put on Japan that I don't know of.
Old 04-09-12, 07:45 PM
tonynca
Driver

Because shipping takes months rather than days or weeks. I've heard of people waiting for half of a year to get the Version Select reps from Japan. There are 3 factors that will determine a success of a product: availability, price and quality.

If TRD doesn't provide the US market with USDM lips, the market will create reps to compensate.
Old 04-09-12, 08:18 PM
Juic
Rookie

Because shipping takes months rather than days or weeks. I've heard of people waiting for half of a year to get the Version Select reps from Japan. There are 3 factors that will determine a success of a product: availability, price and quality.

If TRD doesn't provide the US market with USDM lips, the market will create reps to compensate.
I didn't know modding cars was a race. What are you doing that makes it NECESSARY to have a body kit right now instead of a few months from now? I've waited over 6 months to get products from US companies, so there are bound to be cases of people waiting stupid long times no matter where it's from.

And there were a few TRD lips that were made for USDM bumpers, very few. If you REALLY want a TRD/Wald lip, buy one from Japan and either get it extended to fit or buy a JDM bumper.

Replica's hurt the industry, check out this article:

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...e-hks-usa.aspx

If everyone bought reps instead of buying from the real manufacturers, then all the real manufacturers would go out of business. And then so would all the replica companies since they would no longer have anyone to copy.
Old 04-09-12, 08:25 PM
tonynca
Driver

Not everyone is as patient as you =/. Money rots with time my friend.

I'm aware of that article and it's commonly known that reps hurt the original companies and I can go on forever debating about fake vs real. I like buying the real deal, but if it's too hard to get ahold of, I might have to settle.
Old 04-09-12, 08:46 PM
Juic
Rookie

Money grows with time. If it rots, then you're doing it wrong. Also, if you bought the part and you're waiting for it, then the money has already left your hands and isn't doing anything. There are plenty of companies that are willing to help in the import of parts, I don't see where the difficulty is.
Old 04-09-12, 10:18 PM
tonynca
Driver

Money grows with time. If it rots, then you're doing it wrong. Also, if you bought the part and you're waiting for it, then the money has already left your hands and isn't doing anything. There are plenty of companies that are willing to help in the import of parts, I don't see where the difficulty is.
If the money is in someone else's hands then it's definitely not making money for me. Inflation is a prime example of money rotting. If you were to leave $10,000 under your bed for 20 years, see how much it is worth later.

Who do you know that will source a couple members here some authentic TRD front lip and JP bumper? Believe me, I tried looking. It's easier said than done. Even if there was someone, you should see how much they want to ship it over here. All I'm saying is, it's not the most efficient and viable way of obtaining parts.

Last edited by tonynca; 04-09-12 at 10:43 PM.
Old 04-09-12, 10:45 PM
Juic
Rookie

Here's a Cali guy selling a set:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-TOYOTA-A...t_17265wt_1026

I would try Fizz or Bulletproof autosports. Shipping is going to be high but it's still cheaper than you flying over there and flying back with the part.
Old 04-09-12, 10:46 PM
tonynca
Driver

Yeah that's just one guy that's bumping up the prices by hundreds. It sure as hell does not cost anywhere near that for a bumper from JP. Again, you just prove my point. It's not cost effective and readily available.

People will buy what they can afford.

Last edited by tonynca; 04-09-12 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-09-12, 11:49 PM
Juic
Rookie

Yeah that guy is price gouging. If you want cost effective, don't mod your car. You'll never get your money back(especially on a replica).

Modders now seem to buy what's cheap not what they can afford. If the TRD lips where available stateside and fit USDM bumbers, but VIS/ED sold a replica for less, most newbies would buy the replica(wheels is a prime example of this). That's whats wrong with the scene now and what's causing problems like the HKS situation. I understand the economy is rough but it's not like you HAVE to have that lip/kit this second. Just wait a month or two(or how ever long) and save up the extra money and reward the original manufacturer for their hard work.
Old 04-09-12, 11:57 PM
tonynca
Driver

Yeah that guy is price gouging. If you want cost effective, don't mod your car. You'll never get your money back(especially on a replica).

Modders now seem to buy what's cheap not what they can afford. If the TRD lips where available stateside and fit USDM bumbers, but VIS/ED sold a replica for less, most newbies would buy the replica(wheels is a prime example of this). That's whats wrong with the scene now and what's causing problems like the HKS situation. I understand the economy is rough but it's not like you HAVE to have that lip/kit this second. Just wait a month or two(or how ever long) and save up the extra money and reward the original manufacturer for their hard work.
You can tastefully mod your car with affordable parts.

You are wrong about if TRD lips were made available here people would buy VIS/ED. Do you see VIS/ED making replica 2IS factory lips?! NO. They won't be able to sell those lips because the factory lips are widely available at any dealership. People only buy from VIS/ED because they are able to get it here. Try finding a VIS/ED kit in JP, they wouldn't have it because there are plenty of TRD available for a reasonable price.

Unless you're price gouging, I don't see why people would not buy genuine products. There's a reason why that JP bumper is still on eBay.

I share your hate for replicas only for different a product such wheels.

Last edited by tonynca; 04-10-12 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-10-12, 12:28 AM
Juic
Rookie

http://www.bodykits.com/VIS-Racing/F...P2_011/819667/

Took 2 seconds to find.

Edit,

You meant OEM lip. I have no clue what that looks like.

Edit 2:

If the GFX lip is the factory lip then here is the rep:

http://www.visracing.com/newcatalog/...Front-Lip.html

Last edited by Juic; 04-10-12 at 12:45 AM.
Old 04-10-12, 12:47 AM
tonynca
Driver

To find the wrong one? That's not the factory lip.

These are the factory lips:
http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2009/2125.html
http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2008/1777.html

Anyways, good luck with your mission to get everyone to buy authentic. I think we've swayed this thread long enough.

Last edited by tonynca; 04-10-12 at 12:59 AM.