Newbie here...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-10, 07:10 PM
wildroot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie here...

Hi folks...
I'm trying to locate the data link port in my son's is300, can't find it. I'd like to clear some codes. Also can anyone tell me what it means when his "TRAC OFF" light stays on? I know on some of the vehicles i've owned in the past it could be something as simple as low brake fluid.....or not.
Thanks in advance!
Old 08-20-10, 09:00 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wildroot
Hi folks...
I'm trying to locate the data link port in my son's is300, can't find it. I'd like to clear some codes. Also can anyone tell me what it means when his "TRAC OFF" light stays on? I know on some of the vehicles i've owned in the past it could be something as simple as low brake fluid.....or not.
Thanks in advance!
the OBD 2 data port should be right under the steering column, federal law mandated it be there on cars 96 and newer although i have seen them in defferent places on 96 and newer cars. not sure about the trac off light staying on constantly. most commonly the check engine light will come on and trac light will flash, or abs (possibly the brake light) and trac light flashing, and maybe a vsc light if equipped. can you cut the trac off light off and on with the button?
Old 08-20-10, 09:46 PM
wildroot
Driver School Candidate

No, the button won't stop the blinking. I'll clear the codes and see if the blinking trac light goes off.

Thanks
Old 08-21-10, 02:30 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

No, the button won't stop the blinking. I'll clear the codes and see if the blinking trac light goes off.

Thanks
is their any other light on other than the Trac Off light blinking?
Old 08-21-10, 03:13 PM
wildroot
Driver School Candidate

No other lights other than the Check Engine light, but I was able to clear all the codes and both the lights went off. The first code that came back after driving the car for awhile was the "HO2S Bank 2 Sen 2 Heater circuit low"
When that fault came across the "Trac Off" light started blinking again. I cleared the code and a few minutes later I got the "check engine' light and the same HO2S code along with "Catalyst Efficiency Below threshold Bank 1".

So, any idea what these two mean?

Thanks
Old 08-22-10, 05:54 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

No other lights other than the Check Engine light, but I was able to clear all the codes and both the lights went off. The first code that came back after driving the car for awhile was the "HO2S Bank 2 Sen 2 Heater circuit low"
When that fault came across the "Trac Off" light started blinking again. I cleared the code and a few minutes later I got the "check engine' light and the same HO2S code along with "Catalyst Efficiency Below threshold Bank 1".

So, any idea what these two mean?

Thanks
sounds like bank 2 sensor 2 oxygen sensor is going bad, then it sounds like your first cat bank 1 is clogged up and going bad as well. i do know that if you go on to autozone or advanced auto parts website and look up exhaust manifold for an is300, magnaflow makes them that look oem for $599.99, or you could buy an o2 simulator for $40, wire it up and replace the bad oxygen sensor and have no check engine light or trac light flashing, but you would still possibly have a bad converter. you could get headers and an o2 simulator and weld a high flow cat in the y-pipe, just to name a few possibilites. are there any problems while driving the car? such as loss of power or the car "bogging" out? for starters i would probably replace the sensor, clear the CEL and drive it and see what happens, even if the light doesnt pop back on i would still hook up to a scanner and scan it because there can still be problems and codes in the computer that may not cause the light to come on.
Old 08-23-10, 07:34 PM
wildroot
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 03LexIS300
sounds like bank 2 sensor 2 oxygen sensor is going bad, then it sounds like your first cat bank 1 is clogged up and going bad as well. i do know that if you go on to autozone or advanced auto parts website and look up exhaust manifold for an is300, magnaflow makes them that look oem for $599.99, or you could buy an o2 simulator for $40, wire it up and replace the bad oxygen sensor and have no check engine light or trac light flashing, but you would still possibly have a bad converter. you could get headers and an o2 simulator and weld a high flow cat in the y-pipe, just to name a few possibilites. are there any problems while driving the car? such as loss of power or the car "bogging" out? for starters i would probably replace the sensor, clear the CEL and drive it and see what happens, even if the light doesnt pop back on i would still hook up to a scanner and scan it because there can still be problems and codes in the computer that may not cause the light to come on.
If it wasn't for the warning lights you'd never know anything was wrong. Car runs great. My son tells me the warning lights all come on whenever it's raining and he hits a puddle.

Last edited by wildroot; 08-23-10 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-23-10, 07:49 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

If it wasn't for the warning lights you'd never know anything was wrong. Car runs great. My son tells me the warning lights all come on whenever it's raining and he hits a puddle.
sounds like something is shorting out or not getting a good connection.
Old 08-24-10, 11:38 PM
slidingIS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the oxygen sensor wires to see if they are frayed at all.

and the traction light check the wheel sensors and see if the wires to them are frayed as well that could cause the traction light