Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - First Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ls1 swapped IS300 stage two power upgrades and swap kit testing

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-10, 09:07 AM   #31
darksyde
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ca
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03LexIS300 View Post
do you know how much the kits are? and how much did they charge you with the kit and installation?
The kit is 1000 and parts and labor run around 10000 but you have 2 supply engine and tranny! The break down is about 5000 for labor and 5000 for parts depending on what parts you go with!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
darksyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-10, 12:41 AM   #32
EDTUN3R
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
EDTUN3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: FL
Posts: 677
HWDHAVOC
Send a message via AIM to EDTUN3R
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksyde View Post
The kit is 1000 and parts and labor run around 10000 but you have 2 supply engine and tranny! The break down is about 5000 for labor and 5000 for parts depending on what parts you go with!
Damn $10k for a Stock LS1 Swap? In A IS. Good Thing I'm Mechanically Inclined
EDTUN3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-10, 03:22 PM   #33
boostinsup
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 3
Default

damn thats alot of money
boostinsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-10, 10:42 PM   #34
03LexIS300
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
03LexIS300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksyde View Post
The kit is 1000 and parts and labor run around 10000 but you have 2 supply engine and tranny! The break down is about 5000 for labor and 5000 for parts depending on what parts you go with!
sounds like an awesome swap, but 10k sounds a little too pricey for me, especially for the way it would run. could could turbo the motor or do a supra tt swap for less than 10k
__________________
Eibach 1.4" Sportline Springs - HKS Hi Power Exhaust/No Resonator - K&N Typhoon Intake - Ralco RZ Short Shifter - F&R Smoked Side Marker Lights - Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear - Cross Drilled And Slotted Rotors/Front - SS Braided Brake Lines - 15% Tinted Glass All The Way Around - OBX Header And Y-Pipe - Dual Output o2 Simulator - Painted Black Grille With Altezza Emblem - Vision Short 3" Carbon Fiber Antenna
03LexIS300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-10, 06:12 PM   #35
darksyde
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ca
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03LexIS300 View Post
sounds like an awesome swap, but 10k sounds a little too pricey for me, especially for the way it would run. could could turbo the motor or do a supra tt swap for less than 10k
what do you mean for the way it would run??? this thing runs sick!!!!! and strong awesome!!!!! you have to figure the cost of the motor out of a tt supra vs the cost of motor and tranny i paid 4000 for motor and tranny w 69,000 miles very strong and tight!!!! i am more than pleased (except i need more power) after heads cam and either an intake or whipple charger i will be close 2 500-600 at the tires depening on which way i go then it will be insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
darksyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-10, 09:17 PM   #36
03LexIS300
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
03LexIS300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksyde View Post
what do you mean for the way it would run??? this thing runs sick!!!!! and strong awesome!!!!! you have to figure the cost of the motor out of a tt supra vs the cost of motor and tranny i paid 4000 for motor and tranny w 69,000 miles very strong and tight!!!! i am more than pleased (except i need more power) after heads cam and either an intake or whipple charger i will be close 2 500-600 at the tires depening on which way i go then it will be insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
oh no doubt its sick and runs strong and awesome, im just saying the way it runs vs. the way a nice built up supra tt swap would, plus v8s generally weigh more, but in your case with a lot of it being aluminum its prabably fairly light. i wasnt saying it didnt run good lol im sure it hauls a**, im just saying for all the work and money involved it in my opinion would be more simple to do a supra tt swap, that whipple charger will make that motor insane in yours.
__________________
Eibach 1.4" Sportline Springs - HKS Hi Power Exhaust/No Resonator - K&N Typhoon Intake - Ralco RZ Short Shifter - F&R Smoked Side Marker Lights - Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear - Cross Drilled And Slotted Rotors/Front - SS Braided Brake Lines - 15% Tinted Glass All The Way Around - OBX Header And Y-Pipe - Dual Output o2 Simulator - Painted Black Grille With Altezza Emblem - Vision Short 3" Carbon Fiber Antenna
03LexIS300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-10, 10:26 PM   #37
edgy
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: calif
Posts: 504
Default

have you ever done a Supra TT swap? they are not exactly "simple" at all...ever had to install a return fuel system?....

Quite frankly, in 8+ years on these IS & CL sites, i have not seen ANYONE do a proper high HP ( 450+ ) turbo setup that DIDNT end up spending North of 10k when it is all done.. the biggest issue with trying to go all economical wth a Turbo upgrade or TT motor swap is cutting corners to save that 2-3k will always bite you and every single guy who has done a turbo upgrade for 6-7k or less has bown his motor whithin 3-6 months then he has to go spend another 4-5k+ to get it all done RIGHT and ends up spending 12k or so in the end AFTER gettign a proper fuel system & spending what is needed to get it all properly tuned etc....... usually from mom or dads pocket....and most of them will not post up their misfortune clearly on the boards as no one likes being abused for their decisions... OR .. .they give up & sell the car & move on ....the more likely outcome in the end....

IMO after seeing ALL the years of turbo upgrades TT swaps, aristo swaps etc... the idea of a badass NA relatively light weight V8 setup in this car gives me wood. i have been dreaming of this swap for 5 years and all of a sudden we are seeing them happen from multiple sources.

& I can't remember exactly, but i believe the weight diff between the LS1 & the GE/GTE iron block motors is well under 100 Lbs......more like 75 in the end... swap the battery to the back & you are down to a 50LB weight diff on the front, between motors

Personally i'd prefer solid NA ( gas it up forget about it & beat on it) power in the 450 - 500 HP range from a motor that is not really taxed at that HP level than a Supra TT boosted up and where you always have the potential for a problem that can cause a lean condition under boost & a blown motor....no lag, no surge, no return fuel setups, no broken ring landings, no critical fuel tuning required by specialist tuners at $250 an hour with Dyno time...

& this doesnt event take into the consideration how freeking Bad as hell the LS1 v8 sound with a set of SS headers & a tight Stainless exh system will sound coming out of an IS...

I love SupraTT's & i obviously Love my car & my badass little SUPERcharged GTE block, and my trick custom dual quad Exh..... but the noise an LS1 with a trick exh will make in an IS is just........... The s h i t .
... just a freeking LS1 & a simple basic chip or power commander type tuning for fuel & ignition etc... the GM engine management is cracked & there are many options for tuning that setup..... no fighting with Lexus ECU issues etc. & spending $1500-$2k on standalone EMU's to make it all work....the decil is in the detaisl as they say & the Details involved in upgrading to a GTE motor or even a realy well done Turbo setup on the GE motor are what most people really do not understand.


& an LS1 with an SC... Just Bad Freekin AZZZZ


i will do it some day for sure just as soon as i trash my motor... OR i'll just buy a blown IS & do it & make a track blasting weekend ride.....


IF this swap was available 5 years ago when i had the 1st of a sickening series of supercharger issues that destroyed my custom built GE motor... it would not have even been a question....my mechanic & i talked about it back in the day after he dropped an LSI into his old skewl El Camino and took me for a ride.....

woulda saved me at least 5k as well.


I Say BRING IT... i freek'in WANT ONE . Badly.
__________________
Godspeed Asiangirl007 Keep a cold one ready for me up there will ya?

Aussie Raptor Supercharger
2JZ Short block / 80mm TB
H20/Meth / Nitrous Express
TEIN-EDFC, CUSCO, FIGs,
HKS, Token Solutions, TRD

Last edited by edgy; 09-14-10 at 10:35 PM..
edgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-10, 10:30 AM   #38
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (1)
 
BartleDoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: fl
Posts: 1,020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgy View Post
and most of them will not post up their misfortune clearly on the boards as no one likes being abused for their decisions... OR .. .they give up & sell the car & move on ....the more likely outcome in the end....
So true.

10char
__________________
1993 SC400-->Quantum auto W58 swap, Bilstein/Hypercoil coilovers 600lb fr 400lb rr, 18x9.5 RPF1 all around with 265/35 uncoolness, LS400 BBK (special grinded edition), 5000K HID kit, Poly front LCA Bushings, Megasquirt 3X, Blitz Nur exhaustems
BartleDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-10, 03:47 PM   #39
darksyde
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ca
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgy View Post
have you ever done a Supra TT swap? they are not exactly "simple" at all...ever had to install a return fuel system?....

Quite frankly, in 8+ years on these IS & CL sites, i have not seen ANYONE do a proper high HP ( 450+ ) turbo setup that DIDNT end up spending North of 10k when it is all done.. the biggest issue with trying to go all economical wth a Turbo upgrade or TT motor swap is cutting corners to save that 2-3k will always bite you and every single guy who has done a turbo upgrade for 6-7k or less has bown his motor whithin 3-6 months then he has to go spend another 4-5k+ to get it all done RIGHT and ends up spending 12k or so in the end AFTER gettign a proper fuel system & spending what is needed to get it all properly tuned etc....... usually from mom or dads pocket....and most of them will not post up their misfortune clearly on the boards as no one likes being abused for their decisions... OR .. .they give up & sell the car & move on ....the more likely outcome in the end....

IMO after seeing ALL the years of turbo upgrades TT swaps, aristo swaps etc... the idea of a badass NA relatively light weight V8 setup in this car gives me wood. i have been dreaming of this swap for 5 years and all of a sudden we are seeing them happen from multiple sources.

& I can't remember exactly, but i believe the weight diff between the LS1 & the GE/GTE iron block motors is well under 100 Lbs......more like 75 in the end... swap the battery to the back & you are down to a 50LB weight diff on the front, between motors

Personally i'd prefer solid NA ( gas it up forget about it & beat on it) power in the 450 - 500 HP range from a motor that is not really taxed at that HP level than a Supra TT boosted up and where you always have the potential for a problem that can cause a lean condition under boost & a blown motor....no lag, no surge, no return fuel setups, no broken ring landings, no critical fuel tuning required by specialist tuners at $250 an hour with Dyno time...

& this doesnt event take into the consideration how freeking Bad as hell the LS1 v8 sound with a set of SS headers & a tight Stainless exh system will sound coming out of an IS...

I love SupraTT's & i obviously Love my car & my badass little SUPERcharged GTE block, and my trick custom dual quad Exh..... but the noise an LS1 with a trick exh will make in an IS is just........... The s h i t .
... just a freeking LS1 & a simple basic chip or power commander type tuning for fuel & ignition etc... the GM engine management is cracked & there are many options for tuning that setup..... no fighting with Lexus ECU issues etc. & spending $1500-$2k on standalone EMU's to make it all work....the decil is in the detaisl as they say & the Details involved in upgrading to a GTE motor or even a realy well done Turbo setup on the GE motor are what most people really do not understand.


& an LS1 with an SC... Just Bad Freekin AZZZZ


i will do it some day for sure just as soon as i trash my motor... OR i'll just buy a blown IS & do it & make a track blasting weekend ride.....


IF this swap was available 5 years ago when i had the 1st of a sickening series of supercharger issues that destroyed my custom built GE motor... it would not have even been a question....my mechanic & i talked about it back in the day after he dropped an LSI into his old skewl El Camino and took me for a ride.....

woulda saved me at least 5k as well.


I Say BRING IT... i freek'in WANT ONE . Badly.
DGR Fabrication in Redwood city Ca 650-9957685!!!!!!!!!!!1
Dan at DGR has done an LS1 swap into an SC and also has a client that wants to put the viper V-10 in his SC that would be SICK!!!! and the LS1 weighs less than the IS300 motor!
darksyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-10, 03:47 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
atsmatt, diff, end, gs400, is300, kit, lexus, ls, ls1, lsx, mounts, powered, rear, solid, swap, swapped

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Twin turbo LSX swapped Is300 built by Dedicated-Matt ATSMATT IS - First Generation 27 10-15-14 06:53 AM
Another clean Ls1 swap performed by DM! Full build with tons of pics ATSMATT Build Threads 31 03-13-14 08:43 AM
At it again Dedicated motorsports Turbo Ls build 800hp drag car ATSMATT IS - First Generation 0 11-25-13 04:19 PM
Ls1 swap in my is300 lots of pics ATSMATT Performance 97 09-30-13 02:46 PM
TX Ls3 Powered 2001 Silver Is300 460 whp 6 speed all around street car ATSMATT Lexus Vehicles Classifieds 16 08-11-11 07:45 PM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:29 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info