IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

G35- New IS competitor. Beware...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-01, 11:21 AM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GTR will no longer be the Skyline GTR, just the GTR for people who dont know. The GTR is also suppossed to be styled differently than the Skyline. Even though a lot of the rendition so fthe GTR look a 2 door G35/Skyline, they are wrong. They wont be similar.

But the G35 coupe will be like the on pictured in Automobile Magazine. Ill get that pic for everyone.
Old 06-19-01, 05:38 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Heres the coupe pic I was talking about. how come 257 people viewed this post but only like 4 different people replied? Do i sense some fear? Heres the pic.
Old 06-19-01, 06:49 PM
DtEW

Originally posted by DROD2045
how come 257 people viewed this post but only like 4 different people replied? Do i sense some fear?
Alright, it's one thing to chat about cars as car enthusiasts, but it's something else when you start attributing generalizations to further your thinly-veiled point.

Here's a thought: Pictures and possible configurations of the Skyline/XVL/new Infiniti have been making the rounds for over a year now. You're among people who have made the choice to buy something other than the new Infiniti. Might it be possible that we don't love it and/or the carmaker from which it comes from, to put it mildly? Most people are curious, but they also try to be polite and refrain from saying anything if nothing good can be said.

Another thought: Those of us that have waited for cars to make it from rumor to the showroom floor know that even pre-production mules can be nothing like the final product. There might be something to talk about if the Skyline/G35 was here and had official pricing, but at this point neither you nor I know whether it is going to be the next best thing to sliced bread w/value to put everyone out of business (yeah, right ), an overpriced rolling turd (probably not this either), or somewhere in between (most likely). And I still maintain that it will not be "priced in the high 20's to low 30's", the reasoning of which you have yet to refute.

Again, it is one thing to chat about cars as car enthusiasts. But you seemed to be happy to go beyond that and play advocate to a "rival" car (you're the one telling us it's a rival) in a forum for fans/owners of the IS300. At the very least, that's borderline trolling.
Old 06-19-01, 07:32 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Pricing issue: How do I know? Well first thing is the name kind of gives a little clue (not being sarcastic). The fact that it contiunes the name of Infiniti's base model is a minor lue. Also, i have a few sources but no where near direct sources. But, expect high 20k's to the highest mid 30k's.

When I said do I sense fear, i meant it as a joke. But no matter what rival brand Im talking about, people should still look at it and think somethig in their brains like oh wow, Lexus might be in trouble with this car or Lexus has nothing to worry about. it doesnt matter who (company) you are talking about. because if you dont like just because its a rival brand or is simply not lexus, that is just being a blind fan. Freshalloy and VWVortex members seem to be some of the most non baised people around. They voice thier opinions, I dont see that here and its a little frustrating because people seem to be blind fans. As long as it has a big L badge, its good under thier wings. it doesnt seem members here want to criticize or dont want to hurt Lexus in a way. because believe it or not, Lexus insiders/ workers do read this site and the forums. This is how they guage reaction, when everything is positive, it allows them to rest on their laurels. It shouldnt be like that.

Okay, im wondering off but the theme is that the Skyline/G35 is highly anticipated and should be a real screamer in this sport sedan category.
Old 06-19-01, 07:41 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Heres some proof that the G35 is an IS competitor from Autoweek Online (their website):

"With the Q45 out of the blocks, Nissan's high-end division is turning its attention to its next big thing: the Infiniti G35 high-performance premium sports sedan. Scheduled to go on sale next spring as a 2003 model, the G35 is based on the Nissan Skyline and features sports sedan styling and a 3.5-liter V6 engine powering a new rear-wheel-drive platform.
Sound familiar? If the IS 300 from Toyota's top-line Lexus brand comes to mind, you have a pretty good idea of where the Nissan folks are aiming. The G35 will finally give Infiniti a rear-wheel-drive competitor to the IS, the BMW 3 Series and Mercedes C-Class.

It's no coincidence either that the Infiniti trumps Lexus with a 3.5-liter engine. Horsepower and torque figures aren't out yet, but look for at least 260 hp, easily surpassing the 215 hp produced by the IS 300's inline six.

Until the G35 debuts, Infiniti's midsize sedan remains the front-wheel-drive I35. Infiniti warns that "minor details may vary in the final production" G35, but count on the key components of a competitive, rear-wheel-drive sports sedan to make it to the showroom. Speaking of components, might these ones figure into the new Z Car?"
Old 06-19-01, 07:56 PM
DtEW

Originally posted by DROD2045
Heres some proof that the G35 is an IS competitor from Autoweek Online (their website)...
Not to say that Autoweek isn't a good source, but the real determinant of whether the G35 is an IS300 competitor is it's production weight, power, and price. So far they can only provide estimates, and partial ones at that.

Remember what the SSX/S2000 was estimated to be, and how a higher than estimated weight and price in addition to a lower than estimated displacement and content turned what was supposed to be a Euro killer into a merely good alternative?

Remember the same situation for the IS300 in relation to the 3-series?
Old 06-19-01, 07:59 PM
triz

I would have to agree. The IS is a great car but it lacks performance wise anyhow to a lot of cars. Especially now. This would definetly put our cars to shame. I hate to admit it but Lexus should have upped the ante with the HP. Just look at the new Altima. Yikes!
Old 06-20-01, 08:18 AM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

With Nissan and their current trend of blowing people away with power, you can forget hp as a way to catergorize cars. here another article but Motor Trend:

"The formula is quite simple: take the latest iteration of Japan's coveted Nissan Skyline four-door and transplant it to the U.S. complete with its race-honed hardware and add a few bonus luxury accoutrements. Under the hood of the rear-drive sedan will be a potent 3.5-liter V-6, producing in the neighborhood of 280 horsepower, just like the Nissan Z. We expect the G35 transmission choices to mirror the Z, which include a six-speed manual and five-speed automatic. The front-engine/rear-drive configuration promises an even weight distribution, like the near-perfect 52/48-percent balance on the XVL.
Official details are non-existent, but we do know a few things about the near-identical XVL concept. First off, length measures 182.5 inches, height 57.7, and width 68.3. The XVL employed a four-wheel independent multi-link suspension with 17-inch wheels, spread over a 111.2-inch wheelbase. These dimensions put the car close to the BMW 5 Series in all but length, where the XVL comes six inches shorter.

The G35 is scheduled to go on sale nationwide next spring as a 2003 model. Although pricing has not been announced, the smaller-displacement Skyline will retail for under $22,000 in Japan, leading us to be hopeful that the G35 will not be positioned above the 30-something I35. "
Old 06-20-01, 10:43 AM
Harrier
Pole Position

I remember some time back when there was much speculation about the IS300's price point, and how it should measure in at around $25-27,000 base. However, the reasoning people had for this figure was from comparing the IS to the JDM Altezza, which indeed was priced fairly cheaply compared to the present day IS. We all know how the prices turned out.

I doubt that Infiniti will sell their 3.5 liter 260bhp competitor for less than its weaker counterparts.

Pricing speculation aside, the G35 looks good. Infiniti is (dare I say) finally making ways for itself. It's taking chances and is producing cars the way they should have been making from the start. It's good to have the competition up the ante, because now Lexus will have to meet or beat that level.
Old 06-20-01, 02:57 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

I doubt tht the g35 will go for 22k but I think 28k will be the highest base price. The Q has more power than its comp and even undercuts the LS which is a great value. Infiniti's problem is that they not only have to deliver on product, but also price becase it will take more than product to attact customers from other showrooms.