IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Question about air filters...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-15, 12:34 AM
Ltaboso
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question about air filters...

im currently using a BLITZ drop-in filter and i like it....now im wondering if i should change to different air filter if i will gain a little more power (takeda kit)...
my question is...for the air filters that does'nt use the 2 stage system....the power will be earlier right? earlier acceleration instead of 3600rpm?
Old 01-19-15, 04:21 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I personally wouldn't change the intake piping unless you want something like the HPS one. I would also stick with using an uprated drop in panel filter over the Takeda.

I ran the Takeda originally, and actually lost HP and torque through the range. A further dyno showed a gain (what I had lost with the Takeda, plus some on top). There was also a nasty spike in my AFR line with the Takeda, that disappeared once I fitted the HPS intake pipe and K&N panel filter.

The simple fact is no induction kit I have seen or read about for these cars actually produces a gain in HP.

You are better off spending the cash on the exhaust side. That is actually proven to give good HP gains unlike the intake side.

Best of luck with whatever you decide though chap.
Old 01-19-15, 04:30 AM
Ltaboso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PDP180180
I personally wouldn't change the intake piping unless you want something like the HPS one. I would also stick with using an uprated drop in panel filter over the Takeda.

I ran the Takeda originally, and actually lost HP and torque through the range. A further dyno showed a gain (what I had lost with the Takeda, plus some on top). There was also a nasty spike in my AFR line with the Takeda, that disappeared once I fitted the HPS intake pipe and K&N panel filter.

The simple fact is no induction kit I have seen or read about for these cars actually produces a gain in HP.

You are better off spending the cash on the exhaust side. That is actually proven to give good HP gains unlike the intake side.

Best of luck with whatever you decide though chap.
Thanks for the heads up,so your only intake mod is a drop in filter and an intake pipe? You also did'nt bother with the "intake mod" ? (Disconnecting the vacuum hose to disable the 2 stage)
Old 01-19-15, 04:48 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

There have been many tests done by members here with dyno runs to prove that changing out air filters and even intake pipes for this car does not increase power. You may get a bit of a sound difference, but that's about it. In fact, more often than not, you'll lose a couple of wheel horsepower by switching the filter out.

It's your car obviously, so do what you want, but don't expect to get more power or power earlier by switching your filter or intake. The real gains on this car are made by exhaust side modifications.
Old 01-19-15, 07:08 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Ltaboso
Thanks for the heads up,so your only intake mod is a drop in filter and an intake pipe? You also did'nt bother with the "intake mod" ? (Disconnecting the vacuum hose to disable the 2 stage)
Correct.

I'm happy with how it is now with just the HPS intake pipe and performance panel filter.

I wouldn't waste the money on a Takeda, and sway more towards exhaust changes to gain extra HP.

Headers are arguably the biggest gain for your buck if you don't want NOS.
Old 01-19-15, 07:52 AM
Pole Position

i have a k&n typhoon intake and am very happy with it, i installed it almost as soon as i bought the car so i couldn't tell you if there was a bump in power on the butt dyno but i can say it makes the car sound like a proper V8 now

everyone who sits in my car comments on how badass it sounds, at the end of the day these cars are fast enough so i don't really care if it added any power, the sound is well worth it.
Old 01-19-15, 08:33 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

I've had my Takeda Intake for close to 5 years now, and I still luv the darn thing. It's the only third party Tube/Filter combo that supports the Lexus secondary intake flap. My initial review is here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-takeda-3.html

Post #43. I was the first member of this forum to install one. Since I have had it, I have ceramic coated it black.

Lou