IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

turbo kits

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-14, 10:35 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrickISF
Over time the stock ECU will remap itself and make that piggy back useless. Someone already tried a piggy back from another company. Initially the gains were there but after driving around for some time, the gains were gone.
Has this been proven on the ISF? Because the 2IS works with mapecu3 and does not remap itself. Just out of curiousity sake, not argumentative. I'm assuming it does not work because i have never seen you F guys run with mapecu3 like a few of the 2IS guys.
Old 12-15-14, 05:52 PM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Food for thought...most people should know who Ekanoo racing is. If not they are a huge racing team out of Bahrain. With their massive knowledge and availability to tuning solutions dont you think they would have went with a turbo set up on their usb ISF? Instead they are running a 250 shot of nitrous. Hmmmmmm I wonder why.. yup cause theres no tuning solution .
Old 12-15-14, 11:52 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Fsport2UR
I understand TMG and SARD and all other Toyota related racing organization have access to Toyota software. The point I am making is it is possible. Toyota is no different than all other manufactures and their ECUs have been hacked before. I'm sure you remember G-Force, and that was very early in the game for Supra tuning. That maybe 20 years ago, but others have hacked later model Toyotas.

Are you sure nobody makes a standalone that supports 16 injectors? ProEFI claims to. And there are several 16 inj powered V8s coming from the domestic crowd. Maybe have a custom setup with 8 Injectors on the ISF with a standalone. Sometimes people just need to lose the new tech and go with a general basic setup to make things less complicated.

In regards to variable cam timing - the 97-98 Supras were equipped with VVTi. Although different in the ISF, still has been done on a VVT Toyota. There are several Supra owners running different types of standalones on 97-98 Supras and maintaining the VVTi sys. While Dual VVT-iE is new tech, Dual VVT-i has been around since the late 90s and others have worked around it and/or with it on other Toyotas. Still early in my opinion for the VVT-iE, but I bet someone will find a way around it, as VVT-iE will be available on more Toyota vehicles in the near future. The VVT-iE may even be a plus, considering it is now electronically controlled.

No way I am saying the 2JZ-GE is in the same league "bone stock". Who builds an engine on a stock 2JZ-GE engine anyways, when you can get a complete assembled 2JZ-GTE short block(w/ crank, rods, pistons) from Toyota for $2500 that can hold 700hp. I will say though, the 2JZ-GE block is just as stout as the GTE block, I know several folks who bought cheap GE blocks and completely built them(rods and pistons) to +700hp. The crank is actually identical on both. As for the oil squirters on the GTE, they are overrated and not really necessary when going beyond stock power.

But as I mentioned, cost of trial and error(ie blowing engines) is a major factor and holds back development. Last I checked a complete 2UR-GSE short block cost $11.5k. And we won't be seeing any cheap 2UR-GSE front clips coming from Japan any time soon.
I have a G-Force ECM. It wasn't hacked, it has a daughterboard in it to accomodate a tunable solution. I talked to G-Force about this (now Technosquare) and they even admitted they didn't know much about what the ECM was doing and could not sort out all the tables in it.

Possible? Sure. Going public? Never. Anyone who has got access has not cracked and released anything. Not even Lotus, and they had the full kit. Usually, you can find someone who will part with the key pieces for a price. Not so with Toyota.

I have deep ties into the ECM cracking world. There's nothing coming for Toyota.
Old 12-16-14, 01:43 AM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I have a G-Force ECM. It wasn't hacked, it has a daughterboard in it to accomodate a tunable solution. I talked to G-Force about this (now Technosquare) and they even admitted they didn't know much about what the ECM was doing and could not sort out all the tables in it.

Possible? Sure. Going public? Never. Anyone who has got access has not cracked and released anything. Not even Lotus, and they had the full kit. Usually, you can find someone who will part with the key pieces for a price. Not so with Toyota.

I have deep ties into the ECM cracking world. There's nothing coming for Toyota.
I had a G-Force in my Supra years ago also. Sure, I can believe most companies back then could not gather every single table from the factory ECM, but they did grab enough to where nobody had issues, all the while being customizable. If the G-Force ECM was that much incomplete as you say, we would of seen a ton of blown 2JZ-GTE engines from the get go. But no, they lasted for years and got a lot of praise during its time. And you still see people buying old G-Force ECMs on supraforums.

Going back to the D4-S fuel system issue and it being untunable. The FRS/BRZ engine is also equipped with D4-S sys and their community has found their way around or through it. Some even pulling the entire DI out.

Development and calibration on the V8 engine being used in our GT86 race car. An engine management system had to be specifically created for the cutting edge technology in this engine.

I don't claim to know everything or have the answer or that I know more than you. I read enough of your posts in other threads to know your very knowledgeable. I may be new here but I know enough and have been around the block. I just honestly believe we have yet to see the full potential of this engine(unlike others in here), and think the reason behind the ECM not being cracked is because tuners don't see a market for it...the ISF isn't exactly the benchmark tuner car. But with the RCF now in the picture with a similar engine, I think that will all change within the next couple years.
Old 12-17-14, 01:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Fsport2UR
I had a G-Force in my Supra years ago also. Sure, I can believe most companies back then could not gather every single table from the factory ECM, but they did grab enough to where nobody had issues, all the while being customizable. If the G-Force ECM was that much incomplete as you say, we would of seen a ton of blown 2JZ-GTE engines from the get go. But no, they lasted for years and got a lot of praise during its time. And you still see people buying old G-Force ECMs on supraforums.

Going back to the D4-S fuel system issue and it being untunable. The FRS/BRZ engine is also equipped with D4-S sys and their community has found their way around or through it. Some even pulling the entire DI out.

Development and calibration on the V8 engine being used in our GT86 race car. An engine management system had to be specifically created for the cutting edge technology in this engine.

Lexus IS-F V8 Engine on Dyno - Standalone Management - YouTube

I don't claim to know everything or have the answer or that I know more than you. I read enough of your posts in other threads to know your very knowledgeable. I may be new here but I know enough and have been around the block. I just honestly believe we have yet to see the full potential of this engine(unlike others in here), and think the reason behind the ECM not being cracked is because tuners don't see a market for it...the ISF isn't exactly the benchmark tuner car. But with the RCF now in the picture with a similar engine, I think that will all change within the next couple years.
You don't realize just how custom the processor is in these things. They don't even use a standard instruction set, and you can't get any documentation on them. BTDT. Cracked? Not happening.

Standalone? Sure, to run the engine. What about the other 14 ECUs all talking to one another? That's the real issue. Lance at Toyomoto hacked up an IS250 some years back and said he would never do it for a customer. Too big a headache, and it was a very base model. Add navigation and all the software to operate the climate control to the mix and it gets way too complicated.

Is the small market a problem? Sure. But even if it were a big market, no one has the necessary resources to crack the OEM kit or to build a standalone capable of running the full car. The documentation is not available, and reverse engineering it would be far beyond the time and skills of even some pretty big companies.
Old 12-17-14, 06:49 PM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You don't realize just how custom the processor is in these things. They don't even use a standard instruction set, and you can't get any documentation on them. BTDT. Cracked? Not happening.

Standalone? Sure, to run the engine. What about the other 14 ECUs all talking to one another? That's the real issue. Lance at Toyomoto hacked up an IS250 some years back and said he would never do it for a customer. Too big a headache, and it was a very base model. Add navigation and all the software to operate the climate control to the mix and it gets way too complicated.

Is the small market a problem? Sure. But even if it were a big market, no one has the necessary resources to crack the OEM kit or to build a standalone capable of running the full car. The documentation is not available, and reverse engineering it would be far beyond the time and skills of even some pretty big companies.
Ok, I guess I misunderstood. My initial impression, when everyone said "no standalone works on the ISF", included the engine specifically minus other aspects. I guess we just beat the dead horse more, considering folks here want all other options in the car working and the wish is for a standalone to work in conjunction with everything else. I always thought anyone who wanted some serious power(anything north of 600hp), that they would have to sacrifice options within the car to go standalone. But I guess Lexus owners want to keep everything. Im curious to see how this all pans out with the RFC now in the mix. I am sure most think there is some customization there beyond I/H/E. While still state of the art, new cars these days seem to be more judged on their tune-ability than anything else, which typically means how does it handle FI and how much power can be squeezed out of it? The ISF was never the flagship or the face of Lexus, but the RFC is their new poster boy. You would think Toyota/Lexus would expect and want tuners to attack it.
Old 12-20-14, 01:30 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Not at all. Toyota wants the name to remain as free of issues and extremely reliable as possible.