IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

uneven suspension feel turning left vs right

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-14, 09:24 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default uneven suspension feel turning left vs right

Hey guys I have noticed an uneven feel ( slightly ) when I turn hard left vs right. Its firmer when I turn to the left than the right. From the magazine issues I used to read when I look at directional skid pad results the right turn skid pad results are always lower than the left turn because of the weight of the driver. I just wanted to see if anyone has noticed this or if any members have had back shocks/struts that need to be replaced for weeping. Any feed back would be great. Thanks

PS in all fairness I am the size of almost 2 normal drivers so Im sure it doesnt help. LOL
Old 12-15-14, 01:41 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

answered my question but wanted to post the answer for others in the future. Dynamically this is a fact with any car, but is more noticeable with me because I am almost twice the size of the average guy.

Found this at Car & Driver ;

Cars are driven around the skidpad in both directions, and the results are averaged. In terms of left-to-right weight balance, the driver is on the inside half of the car in a continuous left-hand turn and the outside half when turning right. In some cars, that difference in side-to-side weight is enough to change the steady-state cornering behavior of a car. In other words, yes, some cars oversteer in one direction and not the other.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-ticking-noise
Old 12-15-14, 01:56 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah I was gonna say it was probably in regards to driver and additional accessory position. With some vehicles, some automakers beefed up the suspension on the side of the driver to compensate driver weight and additional components like steering assembly, dashboard accessories, etc. You usually find that in higher end sports cars than the low consumer cars. I know even some race cars put stiffer springs on the driver side if they don't have the option to center the driver in the car

In my friends 944 race car, he puts a heavier standard passenger seat as well a fire suppression system, and helmet cooling fan system where his passenger seat is to balance out the car a bit.

Last edited by NYKnick101; 12-16-14 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-15-14, 02:00 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Was gonna say something about driver weight and positioning. You beat me to it!
Old 12-15-14, 11:59 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,077 Likes on 2,471 Posts

The F is statically heavier on the driver's side when you weigh it on a corner scale. It is set up for right hand drive and gets worse when it is built for left hand drive.