IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS F Rotors and Pads

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-14, 06:26 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Depends on how thick the rotors are. If the rotors are going to be changed at the same time the pads will be changed, run them until it's metal on metal. The only thing you are saving by changing the pads early is the rotor.
That's not going to stop you very well and will be very noisy That would not be my choice.

Lou
Old 09-30-14, 09:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
That's not going to stop you very well and will be very noisy That would not be my choice.

Lou
Try it and tell me I'm wrong. I did it at Carolina Motorsports Park and there was no difference in stopping. I only realized I had no pad left when I went to put gas in the car for the next session (which didn't happen because I didn't have another set of race pads with me.)
Old 10-01-14, 09:14 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

No Way Jose, uh Lance

Lou
Old 10-01-14, 11:14 AM
ddcruise
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im trying to avoid having to change the rotors, just going to go with the stock brembos
Old 10-03-14, 05:49 PM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone have any info on "Centric" vs "Raybestos" rotors? Price is pretty much the same, not sure which to buy.

Also, anyone running "CENTRIC Part # 30913650 StopTech Street Performance Brake Pads; Para-Aramid Material" ?

The Centric pads seem to be Stoptech pads. The part numbers for the Centric Rotors seem to be Stoptech rotor part numbers also. So the Centric stuff is all Stoptech?
Old 10-04-14, 12:27 PM
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think its all the same stuff. just got 4 rotors and stop-tech pads myself

Old 10-04-14, 07:56 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKLBL
The Centric pads seem to be Stoptech pads. The part numbers for the Centric Rotors seem to be Stoptech rotor part numbers also. So the Centric stuff is all Stoptech?
Stoptech is a division of Centric.
Old 10-06-14, 07:58 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did my front pads last week (along with painting front calipers, doing the rears this week). I went with Duralast Gold since a few members on here seemed satisfied with them in one of the other threads.

I was either on still on stock pads, or Raybestos pads - can't remember if the previous owner changed them. They still had a decent amount of wear left, but I was sick of the excess dust and squealing. So far the new ones feel pretty good, especially for the price, just normal street driving.
Old 10-06-14, 12:51 PM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean
I just did my front pads last week (along with painting front calipers, doing the rears this week). I went with Duralast Gold since a few members on here seemed satisfied with them in one of the other threads.

I was either on still on stock pads, or Raybestos pads - can't remember if the previous owner changed them. They still had a decent amount of wear left, but I was sick of the excess dust and squealing. So far the new ones feel pretty good, especially for the price, just normal street driving.
Just curious to know how can you stop brake fluids from brake hose when removing calipers for painting ? I might paint the calipers in the near future because i've never done this job before
Old 10-06-14, 01:58 PM
Sean
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shyguyF
Just curious to know how can you stop brake fluids from brake hose when removing calipers for painting ? I might paint the calipers in the near future because i've never done this job before
There is probably a more appropriate way to do this, but to stop the the lines from draining I used just a bolt (can't remember exact size) two rubber washers, a metal washer, and a nut. I also plugged the calipers with another appropriately sized bolt while they are off. It isn't perfect, but works well enough as a temporary measure to keep the fluid from leaking while they are disconnected. Of course, you'll need to bleed all 4 when done, even if you only do two at a time as I have.

Just be prepared to spill a little fluid and wear gloves.
Old 10-06-14, 02:31 PM
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they feel great

Old 10-06-14, 08:51 PM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean
There is probably a more appropriate way to do this, but to stop the the lines from draining I used just a bolt (can't remember exact size) two rubber washers, a metal washer, and a nut. I also plugged the calipers with another appropriately sized bolt while they are off. It isn't perfect, but works well enough as a temporary measure to keep the fluid from leaking while they are disconnected. Of course, you'll need to bleed all 4 when done, even if you only do two at a time as I have.

Just be prepared to spill a little fluid and wear gloves.
Now i got this. Thanks my bro !
Old 10-06-14, 10:44 PM
specie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty annoyed tired of the low speed brake squeals with the stock pads. Not to mention my wheels are covered in brake dust after a few minutes of driving. With my IS350 they have an updated low dust pads, which helps with the dust and stops the squeals. I do see a set of improved Pads from lexus (via sewell: Part #: 044650W170) when I searched for the Brembo lube. Anyone tried these?

I'd like to keep the stock rotors. Which pads do you guys recommend? I don't track the car, just mostly daily driving and maybe some spirited runs when roads are empty. Low dust would be a plus. Carbotech, stop tech, project mu? I'm ordering the Brembo lube to help ensure less break squeaks.
Old 10-07-14, 02:41 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I still love my Duralast Golds. No noise, no dust, easy daily driver. Bite isn't like the brembos but I don't need that
Old 10-07-14, 09:54 PM
speeddem0n
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have bosch pads on the front and stock brembo on the back and i have noticed dust on the back but not on the fronts.