SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

To Everyone Who Has The LS400 Brake Upgrade, What Pad and Rotors Are You Using?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-11, 09:42 AM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To Everyone Who Has The LS400 Brake Upgrade, What Pad and Rotors Are You Using?

Im getting ready to buy some new pads and rotors (I already have the LS400 calipers) and I just wanted to get some insight on what you guys think best pads rotors are, what to avoid and what to look for and also, what kind of performance you guys getting out of you pad/rotor setup.

Im trying to get the best mix of performance and longevity. Right now Im pretty set on drilled but not slotted Brembo rotors because slotted rotors go through pads too quickly, and either Wagner Thermo Quite, oem Denso or EBC Green Stuff pads but whats your opinion?
Old 01-30-11, 01:16 PM
Billy305
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Everyone I have talked to says to go OEM
Old 01-30-11, 07:53 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

I would go drilled, they are gonna be cheaper than OEM likely, I ran Hawk pads on my evo... great stopping after they heated up a bit. Squeaked a lot at first.
Old 01-30-11, 07:57 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Unfortunately Hawk doesn't make any pads for us LS4 brakers.
Old 01-30-11, 08:02 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would recommend switching back to slotted rotors down the road when they need to be replaced. That's if performance is your goal; drilled rotors do absolutely nothing, slots or blanks will be much more effective. For street use and nothing fancy, I've been using Wagner Thermoquiet pads on all my vehicles; low dust and performs well with no noise. Only downside to the LS brakes is the limited range of pad choice.

Longevity wise on slotted rotors are actually not that bad. I've got about 10k on a set of pads and they still show about 75% life.
Old 01-30-11, 08:28 PM
justin1642
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am gonna use ebc red stuff pads when I need to change out the current ones. I used them on my mkiii supra and liked them.
Old 01-30-11, 09:19 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

I meant to add that i like drilled for aesthetics.
Old 01-30-11, 09:27 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

running autozone organics with slotted and drilled rotors for about a year with 50% pad life left
Old 01-31-11, 12:02 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SChema
I would recommend switching back to slotted rotors down the road when they need to be replaced. That's if performance is your goal; drilled rotors do absolutely nothing, slots or blanks will be much more effective. For street use and nothing fancy, I've been using Wagner Thermoquiet pads on all my vehicles; low dust and performs well with no noise. Only downside to the LS brakes is the limited range of pad choice.

Longevity wise on slotted rotors are actually not that bad. I've got about 10k on a set of pads and they still show about 75% life.
See but then I've never understood why, if that's the case, all brembo kits come with drilled rotors? I can understand where some GT cars like a Mercedes SL or a ferrari f430 would come with them for the bling factor, but then when you get into something hardcore like a Scuderia with 15" carbon/ceramic they retain the drilled design. This where you've gone past the bling factor and are into some serious brakes. LP670, LFA, IS-F ... the list goes on.... I guess there's something they don't know that the internet does haha. I've yet to see an OEM utilize slotted rotors
Old 01-31-11, 05:24 AM
SH_JZZ30
Lexus Champion

I'm running drilled/slotted rotors that I think are from eBay but I'm not sure. I bought them together with new calipers from a member. I'm running Powerstop ceramic pads from eBay. They're only about $35 shipped. They have been working excellent and people that see me all the time are always telling me my calipers are never dirty even though they are painted silver.
Old 01-31-11, 05:37 AM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Klaus
See but then I've never understood why, if that's the case, all brembo kits come with drilled rotors? I can understand where some GT cars like a Mercedes SL or a ferrari f430 would come with them for the bling factor, but then when you get into something hardcore like a Scuderia with 15" carbon/ceramic they retain the drilled design. This where you've gone past the bling factor and are into some serious brakes. LP670, LFA, IS-F ... the list goes on.... I guess there's something they don't know that the internet does haha. I've yet to see an OEM utilize slotted rotors
I've read rumors all over the internet that Ferrari stated that drilled rotors are for looks...but never once has anyone provided anything to back that statement up (nor have I really tried to search hard for the truth).
Old 01-31-11, 08:32 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Im running R1 concepts slotted rotors at all 4 corners. Along with the autozone duralast gold pads, of the organic material. lol. But they have a lifetime warranty so when they wear down i take em back and get new ones!