IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Need help identifying +/- wires going to battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-14, 11:41 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Need help identifying +/- wires going to battery

Hi guys, I'm hoping someone can help me discern the + and - wires at the battery of the IS-F. I thought I had a good idea but now with everything back in the car my memory is hazy. I cant definitively confirm point A to B in TIS either. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Sorry if the descriptions/pics are confusing.

1. Black large gauge wire coming from engine, has + battery terminal post attached. Has smaller gauge long length black wire bolted atop terminal. Where does the long wire go to?

Long wire ontop of + terminal:

[
Long wire end not connected:
[IMG]http:

2. Black wire from bottom of passenger side fuse box terminal to + battery ? (wire is marked with a +) ?

[I

3. Black loomed wire coming from back side of engine goes to _____ ?
(its buried atm .. but I believe its the Violet colored wire in TIS diagram)

I'm good with these (I think ) -
4. Black wire from engine head to passenger side top fuse box.
5. Black ground wire from Alternator to chasis ground.
6. Negative battery terminal wire grounds to chasis beneath Steering ecu/battery.

Pic of Grounds courtesy of TIS:
[IMG]htt

Last edited by mikellucci; 01-15-15 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-16-14, 12:10 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Anyone? I think I made it more complicated than it is....just looking for confirmation if someone is out there doing routine maintenance with the wires in plain sight.
Old 04-17-14, 08:55 AM
JKweezy
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

look @ this post about changing out the spark plugs... there's a picture where the battery has to be removed... it's the last 2 pictures that you will be interested in... from the second to the last picture, it's possible the ground wire connected to a plate that's connected to a heat sink component but that wire has a wire loom over it...

I just did my spark plug change too but i've covered everything back up but see if you can trace the wires to your setup...
Old 04-17-14, 09:30 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Originally Posted by JKweezy
look @ this post about changing out the spark plugs... there's a picture where the battery has to be removed... it's the last 2 pictures that you will be interested in... from the second to the last picture, it's possible the ground wire connected to a plate that's connected to a heat sink component but that wire has a wire loom over it...

I just did my spark plug change too but i've covered everything back up but see if you can trace the wires to your setup...
Thank you for the response! Its funny because that was the exact post I was referencing just before I decided to post and ask for help! Those are great pics but I am still unsure what exactly I've got going on in my engine bay at the moment. I believe I have an extra wire that I left in my engine bay when I pulled the motor. I'm going to retrace a few things and see if I can narrow down the discrepancy or at least provide better description/questions. Thanks

In this pic of the + battery terminal: Does the wire bolted to the top of the main + just go into the bottom of the fuse box? I believe it does but on mine I have the long wire unattached which I believe should not be on the v8 motor. lol

Last edited by mikellucci; 04-17-14 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-17-14, 10:24 AM
JKweezy
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

well looking at the schematics from TIS there is a ground wire that goes to the fuse box, that ground wire should probably bolted to the bolt inside the fuse box that's pictured in your second picture... i am not @ home and don't really want to remove all the covers but if any1 can confirm if there is a ground wire in the fuse box, that may be where that wire that you are holding in the second picture should go...
Old 04-17-14, 10:30 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Originally Posted by JKweezy
well looking at the schematics from TIS there is a ground wire that goes to the fuse box, that ground wire should probably bolted to the bolt inside the fuse box that's pictured in your second picture... i am not @ home and don't really want to remove all the covers but if any1 can confirm if there is a ground wire in the fuse box, that may be where that wire that you are holding in the second picture should go...
Theres a wire coming off the motor that goes into the top of the fuse box. Theres also a wire from the bottom of the fuse box marked with a "+." I was asking if the + wire bolted to the main + terminal wire on anyones ISF goes to the bottom of the fuse box or has a longer wire going elsewhere. Of all things TIS makes no mention of it in removing or installing the motor and accessories.
Old 04-17-14, 12:24 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

^^^^There are two wires on the + Terminal. Different gauges. The top one is the thinner one and goes to to bottom of the fuse box. The thicker bottom one goes over to the middle portion of the rear of the engine then drops down and disappears from sight.

Lou
Old 04-17-14, 01:01 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Lou - thanks! That confirms I def have 1 extra wire in there somehow. Lol
I'll have to do some digging tomorrow when I'm off work. Thank you
Old 04-17-14, 04:55 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Here is what I'm dealing with. Found an old pic and identified the + wires in question!

On the + battery main terminal mine is not hooked up to anything. The yellow outline in the pic traces the main + terminal wire. The red traces the bolted on + wire to the + terminal. I believe the red is wrong and should be removed so that the bottom fuse box wire bolts to the + terminal as said above by Lou. But the yellow has me concerned as to wth I need to connect it.

[

Last edited by mikellucci; 01-15-15 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-17-14, 06:40 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by mikellucci
Lou - thanks! That confirms I def have 1 extra wire in there somehow. Lol
I'll have to do some digging tomorrow when I'm off work. Thank you
I also have an another (third) wire, but I put it in myself. It supplies power to the Vacuum valves on my PPE exhaust.

Lou
Old 04-18-14, 08:56 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Welllll did some digging on the v6 motor in my garage... The main + terminal originates from the Starter. Took a few pics. Motor has got to come out for me to remedy my mistake on the v8.

Here it is missing on the F starter:

[IMG]http

And in place on the v6:

[IMG]http://i61.ti

Last edited by mikellucci; 01-15-15 at 08:58 AM.