IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Vinyl wrapping over clear bra?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-14, 08:21 AM
ISFalex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vinyl wrapping over clear bra?

Hello, I want to wrap my mirrors in carbon fiber vinyl (like my window pillars). My problem is I have a piece of the clear bra on the mirror. can I remove the bra or should I wrap over it? Suggestions? Pic below. thanks
Attached Thumbnails Vinyl wrapping over clear bra?-image-1052048609.jpg  
Old 02-24-14, 10:09 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

Should be all right to layer the vinyl on top.

On that note, I wouldn't replace a clear bra in good condition with vinyl that wouldn't last as long.
Old 02-24-14, 11:33 AM
ISFalex
Driver

Originally Posted by Boma
Should be all right to layer the vinyl on top. On that note, I wouldn't replace a clear bra in good condition with vinyl that wouldn't last as long.
it's 3m brand, so it is high quality and guaranteed for a while. When I pull the vinyl off, will it remove the clear bra? I don't want my paint damaged.
Old 02-24-14, 03:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I dont think it will be a problem at all. Where are you having it done.
Old 02-24-14, 05:27 PM
ISFalex
Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I dont think it will be a problem at all. Where are you having it done.
I was going to TRY to do it myself. If that doesn't work, I may to to a local customs shop. I have enough vinyl to attempt it (I think )
Old 02-24-14, 06:28 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFalex
I was going to TRY to do it myself. If that doesn't work, I may to to a local customs shop. I have enough vinyl to attempt it (I think )
IMO....It will look funny and definitely create an air pocket, as the vinyl will be too stiff to sit on that crease line flush.

The hardest part about wrapping a mirror like this, is to keep the carbon fiber weave
from distorting...the more you heat and stretch, the more pattern distortion will occur. So take your time and work the piece slowly, and try to keep the weave straight.

Good luck, it will probably take a few attempts...to get something you will be happy with.

Digger08
Old 02-25-14, 08:40 AM
ISFalex
Driver

Originally Posted by digger08
IMO....It will look funny and definitely create an air pocket, as the vinyl will be too stiff to sit on that crease line flush. The hardest part about wrapping a mirror like this, is to keep the carbon fiber weave from distorting...the more you heat and stretch, the more pattern distortion will occur. So take your time and work the piece slowly, and try to keep the weave straight. Good luck, it will probably take a few attempts...to get something you will be happy with. Digger08
Do you know if I can remove the clear bra safely so I can wrap it?
Old 02-25-14, 11:19 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFalex
Do you know if I can remove the clear bra safely so I can wrap it?
Yes just use a heat gun to soften the material and pull it back on an edge....just be careful not to pull to hard and lift any paint underneath...go slowly, our paint is pretty strong.

Its all about angles so try to pull or force it back on itself using the heat gun. It can't be very old, and its such a small piece it should come off fairly easily.

Digger08
Old 02-25-14, 11:34 AM
ISFalex
Driver

Yes just use a heat gun to soften the material and pull it back on an edge....just be careful not to pull to hard and lift any paint underneath...go slowly, our paint is pretty strong. Its all about angles so try to pull or force it back on itself using the heat gun. It can't be very old, and its such a small piece it should come off fairly easily. Digger08
it's from 2008. it came with the car. I'm just nervous about it.
Old 02-26-14, 05:46 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will want to remove the vinyl. If not you will see the film through the vinyl... as in you will see the line where the film stops and it will make an indention through the vinyl. The ideal way to do this is apply the vinyl first, then clear bra over the vinyl. Vinyl will tear and scratch fairly easily so the film will protect it from that. We do this all the time without any issues.
Old 02-26-14, 11:15 AM
ISFalex
Driver

Originally Posted by PTmobile
You will want to remove the vinyl. If not you will see the film through the vinyl... as in you will see the line where the film stops and it will make an indention through the vinyl. The ideal way to do this is apply the vinyl first, then clear bra over the vinyl. Vinyl will tear and scratch fairly easily so the film will protect it from that. We do this all the time without any issues.
How should I remove the vinyl? Like this?
Yes just use a heat gun to soften the material and pull it back on an edge....just be careful not to pull to hard and lift any paint underneath...go slowly, our paint is pretty strong. Its all about angles so try to pull or force it back on itself using the heat gun. It can't be very old, and its such a small piece it should come off fairly easily. Digger08
Thanks
Old 08-30-17, 09:43 AM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Has anyone ever done this? My car has a clear bra on both mirrors but I want to wrap them in glossy black vinyl but do not want to remove the clear bra. I just want to know if I can preserve the clear bra underneath once I take the black vinyl off in the future.
Old 08-31-17, 08:43 AM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by F Monster
Has anyone ever done this? My car has a clear bra on both mirrors but I want to wrap them in glossy black vinyl but do not want to remove the clear bra. I just want to know if I can preserve the clear bra underneath once I take the black vinyl off in the future.
When vinyl wrapping over clear-bra with areas that are not tucked, you'll most likely see the seam, but overall... there is no problem wrapping vinyl over clear-bras. In my experience and for longevity, it's better to remove the clear-bra and just apply the vinyl wrap to your mirrors. It will adhere better, and we can't tell how dirty your mirrors are and what kind of dirt or contaminants are left behind.