IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

In need of new brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-13, 11:59 AM
Polkman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In need of new brake pads

So I've just about close to 20k miles on my F and noticed a bunch of squealing coming from my brakes whenever I applied them. Was wondering what's the best option to go with price wise? I don't track my car at all other than a few trips to the drag strip, so I figure I wouldn't need to go with high performance pads. Should I go with some OEM sets? If so Sewell I take it? Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-25-13, 12:09 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Many, Many threads on this. I'm using Ferodo purchased from our site sponsor Speed-Freaks:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...e-special.html

You'll aso want to check out this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...struction.html

Note: Speed-Freaks offers a CL discount.

There are lots of choices out there, and your final selection will be based on the type of driving you do. Lots of folks here like Project-Mu.

Lou
Old 09-25-13, 01:16 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

have you checked the depth of the pads to be sure they are worn down? Sometimes brakes squeal but just need to be cleaned with new anti squeal grease and it goes away
Old 09-25-13, 01:38 PM
vbb

Received 198 Likes on 96 Posts

Yeah, check the pad thickness, but at 20K miles, it's likely that you're due for some new pads, or will be due soon. Like Lou said a couple of posts above, there have been a ton of threads on this. I can give another vouch for speed-freaks website for ordering them, and I love my Project Mu pads. They are JUST as good on the stopping power as the OEM pads (and yes, I tested them avoiding an accident just the other day and was surprised at how quickly I stopped) and they dust less than the OEM pads which is a nice bonus.
Old 09-25-13, 01:55 PM
Polkman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all your suggestions, I really appreciate it. I did a quick check up on the pads/rotors, and it seems to me I have about 35-40% left on the pads. However it also seems like I'm developing a very very small lip on the rotors. I would say I probably have another 5000 miles before I need to swap out both rotors and pads. I guess it was the dust that was making all that noise.
Old 09-25-13, 02:05 PM
vbb

Received 198 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Polkman
Thanks for all your suggestions, I really appreciate it. I did a quick check up on the pads/rotors, and it seems to me I have about 35-40% left on the pads. However it also seems like I'm developing a very very small lip on the rotors. I would say I probably have another 5000 miles before I need to swap out both rotors and pads. I guess it was the dust that was making all that noise.
My brakes started squealing a bit at around 20K miles too, and at right around 25K miles I actually checked them and it was time to replace them (they were down to maybe 15% or so). My rotors on the other hand were fine, still at over 29mm thickness. I just replaced the pads then, and am hopeful that my rotors can make it until my next brake pad change. I'm just shy of 30K miles now. I don't track the car and do about 60/40 city/highway driving.
Old 09-25-13, 08:50 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
Yeah, check the pad thickness, but at 20K miles, it's likely that you're due for some new pads, or will be due soon. Like Lou said a couple of posts above, there have been a ton of threads on this. I can give another vouch for speed-freaks website for ordering them, and I love my Project Mu pads. They are JUST as good on the stopping power as the OEM pads (and yes, I tested them avoiding an accident just the other day and was surprised at how quickly I stopped) and they dust less than the OEM pads which is a nice bonus.
Thank you for the vouch Vbb and especially Lou for pointing the thread out.

Depending on driving style a range of 25-40k is normal on a set of pads with daily driving activity. As stated earlier, a little squeal is not unusual on the OEM pads depending on conditions, but looking at them visually using a flashlight is (albeit partially because you are only able to see the outboard pads with ease) a good practice. If you notice around 4mm or 5/32" left, you may want to start thinking about it - but it's not immediately necessary. If you see ~2mm or less than 1/8" left left.. I would consider changing them out immediately. If you do not feel comfortable checking this on your own, I would take it in for an evaluation during one of your trips to the dealership. (Apologies on the earlier "rotation" statement - Lou pointed out that I had accidentally written that out Thank you sir-)

Let us know if you have any further questions! We got the PM, a reply was sent!

Last edited by SpeedFreaksUSA; 09-26-13 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-26-13, 04:50 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Just installed Project Mu pads a few days back, and so far no regrets
Old 09-26-13, 09:51 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Project Mu +99
Old 09-26-13, 10:18 AM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

^^^Project Mu NS pads and stoptech rotors is what I replaced my OEM brakes with from SpeedFreaks. Have zero complaints and almost zero dust!
Old 09-26-13, 10:34 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Defratos
Just installed Project Mu pads a few days back, and so far no regrets
Originally Posted by blitz_714
Project Mu +99
Originally Posted by BS ISF
^^^Project Mu NS pads and stoptech rotors is what I replaced my OEM brakes with from SpeedFreaks. Have zero complaints and almost zero dust!
Great to hear the feedback! We are lucky to have been able to help quite a few members out there, they are truly a great replacement for the OEM pads.

Guys - There was a thought of a 1 week long special on IS-F Club Racer Rotors (Slotted or Cross drilled Project Mu Rotors), shipping would be free on the rotors and the Club Lexus discount would apply on the 5% break. Would you guys like us to move forward on that? Feel free to drop us a note!
Old 09-26-13, 10:36 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

caltrisc recommended me pads from autozone. cost me like 80 bucks front and rear, i have almost no dust driving for three weeks straight, no squeal at all after using brembo grease from the dealership. i had really bad squeal all the time with the oem pads. love the initial bite and oem feel of these pads.
Old 09-26-13, 10:58 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Stoptech Street Performance brake pads, P/# 309.13650 for the fronts.

I've seen prices as low as $75 (excluding tax where applicable and shipping), though i picked mine up from Amazon.com for $80-something shipped to me since I had some Amazon.com gift cards.

As far as performance and brake dust for the Stoptech pads compared to other pads, this post should provide some reference.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-26-13, 11:10 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO Stoptech pads have a lower than usual "bite" to them and leaves much to be desired. They do not brake fade easily as other pads in their price range.